Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External HD problem

• 02-06-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

I managed to drop my Iomega MDHDU and the blue light that is usually solid is now flashing rapidly and the computer is not picking it up. Iomega's website is surprisingly useless and google is showing up feck all.

Is there any way of recovering the data off it, some very important (and irreplacabe) photo's on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ap1986

I managed to drop my Iomega MDHDU and the blue light that is usually solid is now flashing rapidly and the computer is not picking it up. Iomega's website is surprisingly useless and google is showing up feck all.

Is there any way of recovering the data off it, some very important (and irreplacabe) photo's on it.
    can u hear a clicking sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I can hear a barely audible ticking sound with the light coming on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭big man andy

I can hear a barely audible ticking sound with the light coming on and off.

Can you see it in Windows Disk Management?

Is that when you click on the "Computer" icon and see all the different drives?

If so, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

Windows disk manager is if you right click on my computer and click on manage there will be windows disk manager on the left almost at the bottom of the open screen.

• Advertisement

I right clicked "Computer" then
    "Manage"
    "Storage"
    "Disk Management"

It's only showing the laptop's hd and cd drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Hey
    These external hard drives are usually just normal bog standard computer hardrives in an enclosure.
    The chances are that any damage from the fall was to the enclosure, not the drive inside.
    If you open it up and take the drive out you can put it into a pc or into another suitable enclosure and you should be fine - enclosures are available in most pc stores for 20-50 yo yos.
    Not all external hard drives are easily opened though.
    If the drive was physically damaged you will usually hear a clicking/metalic knocking sound coming from it or a repetitive/loop like a cd starting a spin, stopping, and starting again and again.
    Good luck

I took it apart to have a quick look but need a smaller torx screwdriver to remove more than the outer shell - is there anything to be wary of when opening it?

Dont have it plugged in, obviously.
    Be reasonably careful when disconnecting the connectors from the hdd - if it is the older ide/pata type they have many pins(connector will be white plastic) try and slip the connector off uniformly i.e. not one side first as it can bend the pins.
    Honestly, reasonable care should see you through. They are very simple devices inside.
    You are only opening the Iomega case though - dont go trying to open the hard drive!

What do I do when I open the hd? When do I stop stripping?

• Advertisement

The video below should help you.

Advertisement