Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onions bolting

Options
  • 02-06-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi, this is my first time to grow onions so I am looking for some advice. I thought they were doing fine but some of them are starting to produce a flower. I googled it & found out that they are bolting? What do I do now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

pull the bulbs off, well thats what i do, it stops them going to seed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Unless they are ready for pulling they must be lacking in something - water, nutrients, drainage is bad. Cut the flowers and see if you can work out what the problem is and fix it. What size are the bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

the onions are planted in compost so I guesss they havent enough nutrients. Can I use tomato feed on them or what should I use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Not sure about that to be honest. Someone else more experienced could tell you. Might need a more balanced fertiliser than tomato feed. You can get vegetable feeds in any garden centre, should help. You just top dress around the base and rake into the surface and water.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Goodne wrote: »
    the onions are planted in compost so I guesss they havent enough nutrients. Can I use tomato feed on them or what should I use?
    I have red onions in the greenhouse tomato feed and plenty of watering, there coming on grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement