Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cucumber safety

Options
  • 02-06-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Just bought a cucumber from the fruit and veg man and he said it was from Holland and should be safe.
    I am now not sure.

What do you reckon people?(Should we even be buying them just in case?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I believe Germany have now taken it back about the cucumbers and have no idea where the outbreak came from.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0602/ecoli.html

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

I'm avoiding them.

Not a huge cucumber fan in the first place, so this will not be too difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Greystoner wrote: »
    Just bought a cucumber from the fruit and veg man and he said it was from Holland and should be safe.
    I am now not sure.

What do you reckon people?(Should we even be buying them just in case?)

Why? Dutch and Irish cucumbers are grown differently, grown in huge glasshouse factory units because they don't have the temperatures to grow outside in those climates. Where ecoli was linked to outbreaks in fruit and veg it was field grown crops watered using water from field reservoirs or ditches were animal or human waste was found to have contaminated the water. That said your more likely to pick it up when people in pubs and restaurants don't wash their hands properly and are infected carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

temply wrote: »
    I'm avoiding them.

Not a huge cucumber fan in the first place, so this will not be too difficult.

Maybe avoid all food to really be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I heard carrots and tomatoes are being implicated now....

Maybe if we just eat crisps we'll be safe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You'll be fine, the Germans screwed up. Buy Irish cucumbers anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the pointy ends of cucumbers can be surprisingly sharp, so always avoid pointing them at people or waving them near yours or other people's eyes.

to be ultra safe, always secure your cucumbers to a wooden chopping board using either nails or some good strong duct tape to avoid any mishaps.

and whatever you do, NEVER EVER feed them after midnight. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

vibe666 wrote: »
    the pointy ends of cucumbers can be surprisingly sharp, so always avoid pointing them at people or waving them near yours or other people's eyes.

to be ultra safe, always secure your cucumbers to a wooden chopping board using either nails or some good strong duct tape to avoid any mishaps.

and whatever you do, NEVER EVER feed them after midnight. :pac:

:confused:

lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

vibe666 wrote: »
    ...and whatever you do, NEVER EVER feed them after midnight. :pac:

Em... I accidentally washed one... my kitchen has been taken over by grotesque vegetation, help!

On topic: Are we not supposed to be afraid of bean sprouts now? I'm not really paying this any attention, its media scaremongering, buy Irish and you'll be grand!

Advertisement