Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild bird rescued

• 02-06-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just after driving into my estate and spotted a cat playing around with a young bird, jumped out and got him and took him in there, dont think hes injured, not making much movement but in shock, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Sorry to be a pessimist but he has a tiny chance of survival. If the cat has penetrated it's skin with teeth or claws it will rapidly succumb to infection. Ideally the bird need to go to a Vet for an antibiotic shot.

"One of the most common reasons that birds are brought in to Tiggywinkles is because of attacks by cats. It is very important that these birds are treated with antibiotics, even if there is no sign of injury. The tiniest puncture wound from the cat's teeth can cause pathogenic bacteria to enter the body which may kill the bird if left untreated."

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/birds.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I had a very similar situation a month ago and what I did was put the bird in a box and brought it back to where it was found. I put the box up on a pillar and stood a fair bit back to see would a mother bird come back. When we saw an adult bird bringing food a couple of times we then wedged the box high up into the hedge. The parents will feed the baby even if it's not in the nest with the other babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Check out the bird watching and nature forum on this site I currently have nest of blackbirds right by my backdoir and have gotten loads of info there! It may be a fledgling has it got most of it's feathers? Blackbird chicks fledge and leave the nest before they can fly and the hop around on the ground for about 5 days before they can fly. The parents will still feed the chicks. It says if u find a fledgling to hide it in a bush or shrub near where you found it and the parents should hear it's calls and come to feed it etc. My chicks still in the nest but looks like they getting ready to leave which is the mist dangerous time for them as you witnessed they are very vulnerable to cats etc. If chick has no feathers and looks too young to be out of nest maybe check around area you found hin and try pop him back in the nest if you find it. Hope he makes it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dave_Geoghegan

Hes up and active today folks, hes out the back now but still not taking flight, possibly has learned to fly yet or else hes at that stage for about 5 days you mentioned above, ill keep use updated anyway,
    Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Oh great! Parents can hear their chicks from quite a distance so keep an eye out if they feeding him. If not have read you could leave out some tinned puppy food and a shallow dish of water for them. Keep an eye for crows and magpies too! Hopefully he makes it!!

Advertisement