Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the difference between engineering in DIT and TCD?

• 02-06-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi im a leaving cert student. i was hoping to do electrical engineering in DIT or TCD?

1.i am not sure i heard DIT is more practical and TCD has more theory is that true?

2. i do ordinary maths (i know you need higher c3 in maths for TCD) but are the courses the same in terms of if i work my way up to ordinary bachelors then go up to do that honours bachelors in electrical engineering?

3. if i go to DIT finish my ordinary degree could i transfer to TCD engineering? would that be recommended? would they accept me as a mature student or the only way to get to trinity is by HL c3 in math?

help would appreciated.thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 educationhelp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

For Electrical / Electronic course I would personally say DIT Kevin Street all the way.

Its where all the trainee electricians etc historically have completed their training before qualifying.

Saying that, when I was in DIT, the degrees were actually awarded by Trinity (don't know if its still the same) so I would imagine the quality is similar at either college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

If you have a choice, do it in Trinity.

Make sure you put in the work to get an honour in Maths. You want to get in and out of college and start working, not spending years transferring etc.

It will be a lot more fun and Trinity is far better recognised than DIT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Trinity has got a pretty naff reputation for electronic engineering in comparison in DIT in Ireland though.

keanooo wrote: »

Make sure you put in the work to get an honour in Maths. You want to get in and out of college and start working, not spending years transferring etc.

Not for electrical engineering its not.

I didn't even know you could do electrical engineering in TCD until this thread tbh.

And how would TCD be 'a lot more fun'?

• Advertisement

Not for electrical engineering its not.

I didn't even know you could do electrical engineering in TCD until this thread tbh.

And how would TCD be 'a lot more fun'?

DIT is unknown outside of Ireland (it gets confused with STD).

No one has ever completed a degree in Trinity and thought: "I wish I had spent the last 4 years in DIT". College life is far better there.

DIT is unknown outside of Ireland (it gets confused with STD).

No one has ever completed a degree in Trinity and thought: "I wish I had spent the last 4 years in DIT". College life is far better there.

The degree is awarded by Trinity.

DIT is well known as being one of the best places to study Electrical / Electronic engineering.

Does DIT being known outside Ireland have any impact on the OP?? Also, as I stated, the degree's are awarded by Trinity anyway.

Do you think everyone should choose where to do their degree based on whether their college is known outside of the country or not? Our degree's are internationally recognised regardless of the college of study.

I'd much rather recommend a good quality course than willy-waving about where you went.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The DIT degree is a Trinity degree.
    Ten years time, no one will care where you did the degree, just that you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 educationhelp

sorry i have another question... i checked the TCD engineering course it says you are awarded B.A.I after finishing the course but in DIT you are awarded B.E when you are finished... so whats the difference between them and which is better or are they the same?

and if i start at ordinary level engineering in DIT and work my way up the course to honours bachelor is the course the same as other as TCD or another engineering course?

i do ordinary level maths.

sorry i have another question... i checked the TCD engineering course it says you are awarded B.A.I after finishing the course but in DIT you are awarded B.E when you are finished... so whats the difference between them and which is better or are they the same?

and if i start at ordinary level engineering in DIT and work my way up the course to honours bachelor is the course the same as other as TCD or another engineering course?

I think you'll have to do a '5 year degree'. i.e 3 year Diploma, then 2 year degree.

Upon speaking to lots of potential employers when I was in college, this is their preferred employee - as you are actually more prepared to work in a hands on environment like Electrical / Electronic engineering.

You'll come out with 2 awards (the Dip Eng. + BEng), and will have a fair bit more experience.

Personally, I'd rather the batchelor in engineering, than the Batchelor in the Art of Engineering awarded by Trinity. (the BAI appears to be a Trinity only award, and I'm not entirely sure of the differences, if any).

Would be nice if anyone who has completed the degree in Trinity would post, so you could maybe see / decide on the merits of each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Hey, just something to be aware of Engineering degrees are changing - you now need to have a Master's in Engineering to become a chartered Engineer, which means you're going to need another year on top of the two years for the Diploma and three years for the Bachelor degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Hey, just something to be aware of Engineering degrees are changing - you now need to have a Master's in Engineering to become a chartered Engineer, which means you're going to need another year on top of the two years for the Diploma and three years for the Bachelor degree.

Also keep in mind that depending on what engineering sector you're in being a Chartered Engineer can have little to no relevance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that depending on what engineering sector you're in being a Chartered Engineer can have little to no relevance.

It will if you want/need to move abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Saying that, when I was in DIT, the degrees were actually awarded by Trinity (don't know if its still the same) so I would imagine the quality is similar at either college.
    The degree is awarded by Trinity.
    spurious wrote: »
    The DIT degree is a Trinity degree.

DIT award their own degrees.

DIT award their own degrees.

Since when? Has DIT obtained University status?? If not, they DO NOT award their own degrees.

Since a long time ago. They're not a university but they do award their own degrees. For instance, in my own course that I"ve just finished, graduates used to be awarded a dip eng from DIT and a BSc from trinity. We now get awarded a BE from DIT. Engineers Ireland accredited and all. DIT DO award their own degrees. You'd swear you're the one who's just finished 4 years in the place :rolleyes:

Since a long time ago. They're not a university but they do award their own degrees. For instance, in my own course that I"ve just finished, graduates used to be awarded a dip eng from DIT and a BSc from trinity. We now get awarded a BE from DIT. Engineers Ireland accredited and all. DIT DO award their own degrees. You'd swear you're the one who's just finished 4 years in the place :rolleyes:

Well I did, but it was a few years ago.

Plus, I had *asked* the question earlier, and then another poster stated they're still awarded from Trinity.

Well I did, but it was a few years ago.

Plus, I had *asked* the question earlier, and then another poster stated they're still awarded from Trinity.

You may have asked the question earlier but you sure were certain of yourself when shooting me down :rolleyes:

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Institute_of_Technology#About

DIT awards degrees up to doctoral level and also professorships.

If you still have a year to do the Leaving you should change to higher level and take grinds if you have to. If you're not able for higher level maths you should probably consider a career other than Engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

I have never read such self-indulgent tripe in all my life.

Trinity is a poor place to do engineering and anyone who thinks otherwise has a superiority complex or is utterly deluded.

DIT is an engineering school at heart and always will be.

• Advertisement

fat__tony wrote: »
    I have never read such self-indulgent tripe in all my life.

Trinity is a poor place to do engineering and anyone who thinks otherwise has a superiority complex or is utterly deluded.

DIT is an engineering school at heart and always will be.

If DIT is so great how come people on this thread are falling over themselves (three so far and counting) to point out that The DIT degree is a Trinity degree. And if miss no stars is to be believed - and I have no reason to believe she isn't - this isn't even true anymore.

Advertisement