Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the difference between engineering in DIT and TCD?

Options
  • 02-06-2011 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi im a leaving cert student. i was hoping to do electrical engineering in DIT or TCD?

1.i am not sure i heard DIT is more practical and TCD has more theory is that true?

2. i do ordinary maths (i know you need higher c3 in maths for TCD) but are the courses the same in terms of if i work my way up to ordinary bachelors then go up to do that honours bachelors in electrical engineering?

3. if i go to DIT finish my ordinary degree could i transfer to TCD engineering? would that be recommended? would they accept me as a mature student or the only way to get to trinity is by HL c3 in math?

help would appreciated.thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

hi im a leaving cert student. i was hoping to do electrical engineering in DIT or TCD?

1.i am not sure i heard DIT is more practical and TCD has more theory is that true?
    This one gets touted a lot and I honestly think it depends on which branch of engineering you're talking about. In my experience (structural) yes, DIT is more practical. (**EDIT** I should clarify what I mean by practical though. I don't mean you're out laying blocks or anything, more that the emphasis of the subjects tend to be more on the practical application of the subject than on the derivation of the theory. You pretty much cover the same subjects in either place. So yeah it's basically the emphasis of the subjects, rather than the subjects themselves that I have noticed to be different)
    2. i do ordinary maths (i know you need higher c3 in maths for TCD) but are the courses the same in terms of if i work my way up to ordinary bachelors then go up to do that honours bachelors in electrical engineering?

3. if i go to DIT finish my ordinary degree could i transfer to TCD engineering? would that be recommended? would they accept me as a mature student or the only way to get to trinity is by HL c3 in math?

help would appreciated.thanks :)

You'd need to get something in writing from TCD, but trinners do not have the same level 7 backdoor into level 8 engineering that DIT have in that they don't run one. Whether or not they'd accept level 7 from DIT for advanced entry I don't know. You might find though that you'd prefer the continuity of staying in DIT.

But tbh the more pressing question is why the fascination with TCD (and dare I say it, the complete omission of UCD)? DIT is a great place to be an undergraduate in engineering. If it's based on where the colleges rank worldwide, be aware that all those rankings of faculties that go on, they're partialy based on the research being conducted within the faculty. TCD would do much more research than DIT do so would naturally get a higher score, but having been an engineering student in both places, I know where i'd rather be an undergraduate (DIT).

Advertisement