Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WH40k: Space Marine

Options
  • 02-06-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,332 ✭✭✭✭

Pre-Order is up on Steam: Get a free copy of Darksiders and $5 off SM. Plus the Blood Ravens Chapter Pack

It's about time they tried the Shooter genre again. Firewarrior still managed to be very fun and atmospheric despite being technically challenged. Though I'm glad they let the idea bake for as long as they have, because between the other work THQ has done previously, this could be a blast. Looks like Darksiders with Guns.

The plot seems to revolve around the Marines being sent in to defend a Forge World, a place where Titans are constructed. Titans are - simply massive. The biggest ground-based war machines you're ever likely to see. And the Orks want them, of course, so they can tear some **** up. Hilarity ensues.

Developers have already said little to no cover will be used in the game: Space Marines are armored, tough sons of bitches that are supposed to be charging into battle and kicking ass, not huddling behind a conveniently misadventured rock. Close Combat will be integral.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/55150/?snr=1_5_video__13

ss_a84617fa2ae765b1cbcf1afa6e7ff33cd1a649e5.600x338.jpg?t=1306424914

ss_686f7c35887a2df1e49aecc575d2dd78c65a9717.600x338.jpg?t=1306424914

ss_f470a56dc7a39b068fa7cebfa1bb27c5ca4dbbc5.600x338.jpg?t=1306424914

ss_6302a33e2b44626e4dbd138a4f7aeda063bd2df7.600x338.jpg?t=1306424914

Coming September

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

Pre ordered on steam. looks the business

• Registered Users Posts: 83,332 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

As did I. It helped I had already had Darksiders on my to-do list.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Been following this for a while. Looks excellent. Hopefully, we'll get to drive a Titan as well :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

For PSN and XBLA users there's the mini game Kill Team for $10, which gives an unlock of a power sword in Space Marine once completed.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6316720/warhammer-40k-kill-team-deploying-onto-xbla-psn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Looking forward to this, hope it isnt as much mindless shooting and hacking that the vids make it look. Also worrying that there has still been no info on the MP mode apart from the Kill Team power sword unlock being used in MP, hope they dont make it too bland and have some form of Co-op Survival mode.

Kill Team looks so "meh" to me, really sick of twin-stick shooters. Sooner someone makes Chaos Gate 2, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

While I'm glad they're not still trying to sell the Blood Ravens, seriously? Ultramarines? The faggiest of all the chapters?

Nevertheless, it looks interesting. I'm certainly happy that any cover is for enemies to hide behind and the player to smash through. I'm hoping they don't do the horribly clichéd "The Orks were just pawns in a greater scheme" and use it as an excuse to shoehorn every other bloody race in there. But from what I read, they're doing exactly that.

Definitely keeping an eye on it. Cautiously optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Lordhogo

Sarky wrote: »
    While I'm glad they're not still trying to sell the Blood Ravens, seriously? Ultramarines? The faggiest of all the chapters?

Nevertheless, it looks interesting. I'm certainly happy that any cover is for enemies to hide behind and the player to smash through. I'm hoping they don't do the horribly clichéd "The Orks were just pawns in a greater scheme" and use it as an excuse to shoehorn every other bloody race in there. But from what I read, they're doing exactly that.

Definitely keeping an eye on it. Cautiously optimistic.

Sounds like it as chaos space marines are also confirmed to appear so nothing new to expect from the story I guess.

Thats down to the fact that the WH40k Universe as a whole is largely infantile outside of the Hobby world. Most people especially outside of Europe have never even heard of Warhammer but they might have played Dawn of War. The Ultramarine and Chaos Lore is old, but new again, when told in a video game. That and the Ultramarine paint scheme is one of the strongest brands in the entire franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

If it is successful it can pave the way for more in depth stuff in future. I enjoy the warhammer canon, I'm not big into the table top stuff or the previous games, but have read the wikia for the warhammer universe and enjoyed it. That level of depth and creativity is enjoyable in and of itself, but I do know it is a franchise that has struggled to gain a gaming foothold, outside of DoW of course.
    I enjoyed firewarrior, it was generic fps stuff but the warhammer universe did it for me, I would love to see modern fully explored game approaches and styles applied to this universe. Its the underdog I always want to see shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

If it is successful it can pave the way for more in depth stuff in future. I enjoy the warhammer canon, I'm not big into the table top stuff or the previous games, but have read the wikia for the warhammer universe and enjoyed it. That level of depth and creativity is enjoyable in and of itself, but I do know it is a franchise that has struggled to gain a gaming foothold, outside of DoW of course.

Definitely.

Here is a new interview that you might have seen before. But I think it's worth posting for the music alone

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-warhammer-40-000/714212

not much new info in there but he does slip at the end that the game will feature Coop. Lets hope that is accurate.

On a side note does anyone know if/where you can watch E3 live? particularly the THQ conference which i understand will have Space Marine as the flagship game, plus i wouldn't mind seeing any new info on Darksiders 2 if there is any

• Advertisement

I enjoyed firewarrior, it was generic fps stuff but the warhammer universe did it for me, I would love to see modern fully explored game approaches and styles applied to this universe. Its the underdog I always want to see shine.

Im right onboard with you in wanting some 40K games with a bit more depth, theres more character and setting in 40K than a large amount of RPG games released over the years. Problem is most devs seem to focus on the aspect of 40K that GW markets most to its core audience (teenage boys): the "PEW PEW PEW Spesh Mehrins are uber and killz all de Orkzz PEW PEW PEW".

Would love to see a AvP style game (multiple game styles and stories intertwining in one game) following several different Imperial units in a planet wide conflict, or an Deus Ex/ Fallout style Inquisition game where talking and investigations work as well as bullets. Or a Mass Effect style game following a Deathwatch squad persuing Xenos traders across a sector.

Can only hope that the increased presence Space Marine and Dark Millenium give can progress into some more detailed games.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've been playing Kill Team which is quite a lot of fun (doubly so in co-op). And of course, I will now have access to a shiny Power Sword when Space Marine comes out.

Bitterly disappointed that I couldn't have a custom chapter as I could in DoW - I really wanted to be Angry Marines :( Also, does anyone else find it weird or annoying that orks have red blood? I somehow expected it to be green or maybe even black...

Orks have had red blood for almost as long as I've been following WH40K. I seem to remember seeing a few pieces of art back in the 2nd or 3rd ed. rulebooks that had green blood.

Maybe Games Workshop wanted red blood to make it look gorier? They're not exactly the most mature bunch.

also there's a video knocking about with the Space Marine multiplayer character customisation jobby. Looks very detailed, with some lovely old power armour editions. Shame there's a limited selection of colours. Maybe they think console owners would be confused and enraged by a simple colour wheel or RGB sliders?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Here's something that really pisses me off:

Speshul Edishun:
    20255534_300x300_2.jpg

On PC: 67.45 *
    On XBox: 91.95 *

WHAT THE FUP?

* source: zavvi.com

I can't wrap my head around this discrepancy. Ordinarily, I'd be getting the game on PC, but I know the people I'm gonna want to play this with will be getting it on XBox because they are heretics and like to spend their money on things like food and rent and not graphics cards and processors. This is ball baggery of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

The special edition is slated to cost about €100 in retail stores. It's something I'd absolutely love to pick up, but not for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

really wanna get it, but because of gears of war and dead island on the same month ill give it a pass... :(

Shame I preordered on Steam months ago. But, I did get Darksiders. So can't complain.

I'm glad I did preorder too, because I knew somehow I would be poor right around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

madrab wrote: »
    That was actually really promising, and exciting.

And then Gamestop butts in at the end with their BS preorder deal on Skins :p

• Advertisement

Am I going crazy or is there a demo up on Steam?

<downloads>

Edit: Never mind, it's only for pre-orders. Kinda defeats the purpose of a demo if you only make it available to people who've already bought the full game...

Yeah, its out for us "norms" this time next week. Must be for people who cant wait to play it.

<downloads>

Edit: Never mind, it's only for pre-orders. Kinda defeats the purpose of a demo if you only make it available to people who've already bought the full game...
    Ugh don't tell me that. I...... i have been to ****ing busy lately. but that sounds fun. downloading it.

obligatory: Eat it bitches! \o/ lightning review tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

<downloads>

Demo for

Pre-orders - Avaiable on the 18th
    Members of the Honour Guard - 22nd
    Everyone - 23rd

You can sign up the Honour Guard community thing on www.spacemarine.com , if I had the time to play I'd have gone for a pre-order, just going to wait to see if it plays as well as those videos look.

Well heard positive things from people who have played the demo, combat is meant to be very satisfying, audio and visuals are good, not a casual walk of a game but no Ninja Gaiden either.

Have to wonder if the constant attacking will get repetitive though? Might be fun for 2 levels in a demo but how about 10 or so hours for the full game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Have to wonder if the constant attacking will get repetitive though? Might be fun for 2 levels in a demo but how about 10 or so hours for the full game?

Hopefully there'll be different types of enemies that require different combat styles, tactics, etc to offset the repetitive nature of it.

Orks, Weirdboyz, Nobs, Chaos Marine, Bloodletters, etc...

On combat: if it's anything like darksiders there will be loads of variety in it, so during a run of gameplay there shouldn't be much feeling of repetitiveness. And based on some of the trailers there will be a wide variety of encounters.

havent played it yet, going to work, back at 9 gmt or so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm playing it now, I love it. I can't wait for the full game to come out so I can Thunderhammer some Orks :D

Hmm, I didn't like it on the 360 pad. Just want to be able to turn a lot.

Nobs are a pain in the ass. Flying is kinda awkward. But the shooting and slashing is satisfying.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Nobs are a pain in the ass.

<snigger>

Advertisement