Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WH40k: Space Marine

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's OK, Sarky and I are friends, I'll bless it for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'll consecrate them myself in battle. My bolter will speak my prayers, the screams of dying xenos shall be my hymns.

Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Just played through the demo and god damm its awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Wanna read the books based around Space Marines now. Story seems so vast and like I'm only seeing a breif part D:

ROLL ON MORNING TIME. HERETICS SHALL DIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

55 more minutes to unlock it on steam :/ screw the morning, i'm not leaving til i've nutpunched at least one Ork Nob!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Wanna read the books based around Space Marines now.
    Same here :P I've just finished Grey Knights and gonna start Dark Adeptus shortly, but I really wanna read the Horus Heresy books - the story behind that seems quite fascinating. It's a shame that 14 (I think) books is gonna be quite a lot of reading to get through :o

So... have you guys decided on what Chapter/warband you will be playing as for the multiplayer? If GAME still offer the 4-pack of pre-order wargear, then I will probably go for Black Templars/Iron Warriors since those pre-order skins seem pretty awesome :D

I want to have a Storm Warden, but there don't appear to be any f*ck-off Astartes-sized claymores. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Played the demo on my Asus 1215n (netbook) it ran ok but the sound was pretty messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i'm actually blown away by how good this game is, it took me two hours to pry myself away from it.

Super smooth, loads of stuff going on in the background, combat is a sheer delight, be it ranged or melee or both.

Man, its just teethsinkingly bloody awesome!

This is just glorious. I was supposed to be getting up for work in about 2 hours. I may have to pull a sickie. Totally worth it. The weapons are a nice mix, the sound is great, the visuals (if you ever take time to stop and actually look about) are stunning. I never thought I'd see the inside of a temple to the Omnissiah like that. Beautiful setpieces.

Excellent game. Of course you could tell right away that
    the Inquisitor would either die or turn evil, or both.
    , but that's 40K for you. Story is about enough to drive the game along. The mechanics are where it's at, and they're pretty top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The more I see of this game the more I want it.

It'd take me right back to being 11 years old and hanging out in GW.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

marko93 wrote: »
    Wanna read the books based around Space Marines now. Story seems so vast and like I'm only seeing a breif part D:

ROLL ON MORNING TIME. HERETICS SHALL DIE.

A little bit OT, but if you are gonna jump in, anything by Dan Abnett is outstanding. Some of the other stuff can be a bit tedious, but Abnett's just a great writer, he used to write for 2000AD and his stuff is really nice and pacey and has a good seam of very bleak grit that works well for the subject.

Played the game for a while earlier today. Enjoyed the really chunky, clunky feel of the bolter fire, but found the melee got quite quickly repetitive and the very limited, tramtrack level design felt a bit too blatant. I do love a bit of 40k though, so I might pick it up and give it another chance when its cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

http://pastebin.com/xVaCNsje

List of all the bold words you can't say online if you're using the PC version! The list cracked me up.

"Asscrown"? Really?

I enjoy the fact that Relic had to censor the word "clitoris" an awful lot for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Robby91 wrote: »
    Same here :P I've just finished Grey Knights and gonna start Dark Adeptus shortly, but I really wanna read the Horus Heresy books - the story behind that seems quite fascinating. It's a shame that 14 (I think) books is gonna be quite a lot of reading to get through :o

So... have you guys decided on what Chapter/warband you will be playing as for the multiplayer? If GAME still offer the 4-pack of pre-order wargear, then I will probably go for Black Templars/Iron Warriors since those pre-order skins seem pretty awesome :D

Actually, you can start with Horus Rising, False Gods and Galaxy in Flames.
    It's the trilogy that starts everything off.

After that you can keep following a certain order, but those 3 are the main ones.

This is the order in which the books are generally meant, but it's up to you:

Horus Rising – Dan Abnett – April 2006[1]
    False Gods – Graham McNeill – June 2006[2]
    Galaxy in Flames – Ben Counter – October 2006[3]
    The Flight of the Eisenstein – James Swallow – March 2007[4]
    Fulgrim – Graham McNeill – July 2007[5]
    Descent of Angels – Mitchel Scanlon – October 2007[6]
    Legion – Dan Abnett – March 2008[7]
    Battle for the Abyss – Ben Counter – August 2008[8]
    Mechanicum – Graham McNeill – December 2008[9]
    Tales of Heresy – Compilation. Nick Kyme & Lindsey Priestley, editors – April 2009[10]
    Fallen Angels – Mike Lee – July 2009[11]
    A Thousand Sons – Graham McNeill – March 2010[12]
    Nemesis – James Swallow – August 2010[13]
    The First Heretic – Aaron Dembski-Bowden – November 2010[14]
    Prospero Burns – Dan Abnett – January 2011[15]
    Age of Darkness – Compilation. Christian Dunn, editor – April 2011[16]
    The Outcast Dead – Graham McNeill – November 2011[17]
    Deliverance Lost – Gav Thorpe – January 2012[18]
    Know No Fear – Dan Abnett – March 2012[19]
    The Primarchs – Compilation. Christian Dunn, editor – June 2012[20]
    Fear to Tread – James Swallow – September 2012[21

Stuff like Descent of Angels and Fallen Angels can be read right after each other, as they are about the same part of history of the Dark Angels Chapter.

As for multiplayer: Space Wolves :)

21 books? Wow...

Argh... times like these, I kinda wish I'd pre-ordered on Steam. I'm stuck waiting for my brother so we can go into the city centre but it's gonna be a really long wait. Can't wait to get online, what I've heard (apart from the "lol, P2P online play on PC, nice fail Relic") seems to be fairly positive.

Robby91 wrote: »
    21 books? Wow...

Argh... times like these, I kinda wish I'd pre-ordered on Steam. I'm stuck waiting for my brother so we can go into the city centre but it's gonna be a really long wait. Can't wait to get online, what I've heard (apart from the "lol, P2P online play on PC, nice fail Relic") seems to be fairly positive.

You don't have to read them all, some of them are quite bad as well (Fallen Angels and Legion were pieces of crap, for example).
    Some of them may actually influence your choice in chapter to play online, I know they did for me and the choice for Space Wolves :)

Gonna get it after work, off the entire weekend so I'm gonna have some online heretic-slaying to do :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just called to gamestop to cancel dead island amd keep me a copy of space marine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

moomooman wrote: »
    If anyone is into WH40K, retro gaming and masochism I recommend the following games:

Space Hulk:Vengance of the blood angels. The graphics blew me away in '96 :rolleyes: Loved the game but it was biatch hard. A windows 95 game it hasnt woked on any version of Windows (or hardware) I've tried it on since.

Final Liberation: An epic scale game in the vein of Panzer General. The cut scenes were fantastic for the time, check em out on youtube, very immersive :pac:

Chaos Gate: XCOM with Space Marines. Win Win.

SpaceHulk: VoBA will run on everything up to WinXP. It refuses to run on Vista or Win7, so you'll need to set up a VirtualMachine with WinXP installed to get your fix of it. It's a great, great game, even now with it's very dated graphics, the atmosphere is superb.

Final Lib is epic (literally) :pac: But again, it wont run on Vista or Win7 which I really find annoying since I have a soft spot for epic40k.

Chaos Gate will run on Win7 (I know since I have it installed). Fun game.

It's annoying that most of the Warhammer Fantasy/40k games wont run on Win7 at all, even titles as fairly recent as Warhammer: Mark of Chaos :-/

Shiminay wrote: »
    I still reckon an RPG/MMO/or even First Person RPG set in a Hiveworld would be awesome - Necromunda is the obvious choice.

The world of Armaggedon would make for a great MMO/RPG in general; there's a lot of literature surrounding not just Necromunda hive, but the entire world with no less than two seperate Ork incursions and a Chaos incursion to add spice to the mix. And of course .... the Legio Metallica; big death! BIG Death! BIG DEATH!

There's probably not a single other world in the entire W40K universe that is as comprehensively covered by literature, stretching right back to Rogue Trader and the Realms of Chaos books. Want to come up with a quest/mission? Easy peasy ... it's all there on a plate; Denizens of the hives, the Armageddon defence forces & the Steel Legion, Imperial Fist space marines, remnants of Chaos forces (at a stretch), remnants of Ork forces in the Armageddon jungles after the second war for Armageddon, the Legio Metallica, mutants, Eldar scouts, and whatever else takes your fancy.

The only thing would be that the history would be best left towards the end of the second war (Ork invasion) rather than the third since they [Orks] blitzed Tartarus hive from the word 'go' during the third war, whereas with the second war it'd be an interesting focus point for a campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If your gonna read the HH series of books, go with the first 4 (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, Flight of the Eisenstein) first as they follow one big narrative that frames the whole Heresy. After that, pretty much free to read as ya want as most dont have much connections between each other (apart from Descent of Angels and Fallen Angels).

Highly recommend Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns, two sides of one conflict and gives great depth to both legions. Also The First Heretic is good and is a nice primer into the nature of Chaos and its effects.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I completely forgot about the Legio Metallica! :D Now this game has to get made, Sarky's Gorkamorka idea'd be fun too, but there's scope for a much wider variety of characters and races in this. Now if only I had €100m to fund it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    You don't have to read them all, some of them are quite bad as well (Fallen Angels and Legion were pieces of crap, for example).

I agree that fallen angels wasn't great, but I think legion was one of the best novels - it was great to see thing s from a different stand point & it was written really well

Dunno, I just don't like the Alpha Legion.

Not enough 'RAAAAAGH KILL SMASH' for my liking :D

Sarky wrote: »
    I want to have a Storm Warden, but there don't appear to be any f*ck-off Astartes-sized claymores. :(
    storm wards suck space balls, ahh my world is all invaded by giant rats and i dont want anyone to see the mess!

Way off-topic it seems, but are there books about the Storm Wardens ?
    I didn't even know about them...

They were introduced in the death watch rpg book - basically their entire world has been ravaged by something - never explained afair but it is suspected to have been a hrud migration - think technoplague-skaven things

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Right. Finished work.

Plan:

Get to town
    Go to gamestop and pick up space marine game
    Go get a big fat Italian BMT subway.
    Get back home and play space marine.
    Misses back from work at 18:00, so get a fast quicky, then drop of her to the pub, where she will be watching basketball with a friends.
    Stop by chipper on the way back home
    Play space marine
    Pick up misses shadowhearth and bring back home.
    Play space marine.
    Sleep till 16:00 tomorrow :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think i might pick this up on the 360 rather then pc, as i can then trade it in once i complete the campaign.

GAME... :mad: They didn't get their deliveries in (which was ~1pm when I was in there) so I had to settle for heading to GameStop to get the game, with no pre-order skins... I was really looking forward to being able to use the Iron Warriors and Black Templar skins :(

I think I'll take out my frustration on some folks in multiplayer once I get it installed (or, you know, further add to the frustration by getting my ass handed to me :pac:)

Kiith wrote: »
    I think i might pick this up on the 360 rather then pc, as i can then trade it in once i complete the campaign.

Apparently the multiplayer is great, so why trade it in ? :D

A question: I pre-ordered it on tuesday in Gamestop, but they didn't mention the pre-order skins. Do I still get them ?

• Advertisement

I pre-ordered it on tuesday in Gamestop, but they didn't mention the pre-order skins. Do I still get them ?
    Unless the pre-order bundle for GameStop only applies to GameStop in America, you should get the Emperor's Elite pack*. I asked in GameSto, when I was buying it, if the wargear bundle was strictly for pre-orders and he said that it was, which would suggest that Irish GameStops should have it - I don't think when you pre-ordered should have an effect on whether you get it or not.

Advertisement