Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WH40k: Space Marine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I pre-ordered this, long before I knew a release date. So of course I haven't had a change to play it yet because I've been on a business trip since Tuesday afternoon till right about the f*ck now and I have a Quarterly meeting tomorrow morning. F*ck F*ck F*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Just finished it there, that was a really good game, they got Warhammer 40k down perfectly. Voice acting was perfect, gameplay mixed up enough to not get boring, decent story - I had a lot of fun.

I got sad every time he took the assault pack off.

Can't say I liked the very last part of the fight very much, but I can get over that.

Literally only one thing pissed me off:
    After you hop down onto the Titan there's a God damn invisible wall blocking the path that doesn't go away until you kill those damn floating cultist guys. I had the thunder hammer so was not in the mood for trying to take out flying wizards and a bloody attack ship with a regular bolter. I wasn't even sure where I was supposed to be going. That whole bit was really really badly thought out. Ended up running in circles getting killed thinking I was just missing something.

EDIT: Pretty short actually, I only got about seven hours out of the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

How much is the game in Gamestop? I haven't actually checked as I preordered it there. Picking it up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

How much is the game in Gamestop? I haven't actually checked as I preordered it there. Picking it up today.

€39.99 in GameStop on PC (in Limerick City, incase there may be price variations between their shops :P). I didn't check the price for the console versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I encountered a multiplayer game last night where everyone was using either a lascannon or a stalker bolter and sticking to either side of the map and not engaging in any righteous fury AT ALL. That was depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Finished off the campaign there, I fully enjoyed it :D I'm gonna give it another run through to try and get any servo skulls I missed, I'm on 38/48 right now. Oh, and
    when you get to the point with the Blood Ravens, I saw them in the distance and just thought "Hang on, is it really them?". I kinda hoped they'd mention something about the canon ending to DoW2:Retribution when I saw them..

everyone was using either a lascannon or a stalker bolter and sticking to either side of the map and not engaging in any righteous fury AT ALL
    You're making me feel bad about my love for the Stalker bolter (although, in my defense, I do try to use a variety of guns when playing Tactical :P)

Lascannon's a bitch though... I'm crap with it, and it annoys the hell out of me when people kill me with it :mad:

Denny M wrote: »
    Finished off the campaign there, I fully enjoyed it :D I'm gonna give it another run through to try and get any servo skulls I missed, I'm on 38/48 right now. Oh, and
    when you get to the point with the Blood Ravens, I saw them in the distance and just thought "Hang on, is it really them?". I kinda hoped they'd mention something about the canon ending to DoW2:Retribution when I saw them..
    I instantly went "Oh my God it's the Blood Ravens, sweet!"

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Just finished the campaign and played a few games of multiplayer. Few thoughts below:
    1. Not a fan of the facial animations other than the 'baddie'. Dont no why, they just dont do it for me. This contributed to me not caring about the characters (Didnt help they were Ultramarines :D)
    2. They got the 'feel' of the Space Marines and Orks just right. Chaos on the other hand suck. Chaos guardsmen also seem more use than Imperial Guardsmen which is heresy :eek:
    3. Most of the weapons have the right 'feel' but I think the pistols are rather underpowered. They also sound really good other than the heavy bolter which is a bit weedy sounding. Autocannon is epic :)
    4. Took about 8 hrs on Hard which is exactly what the reviews said. Story wont be winning any oscars but its not terrible either.
    5. Thunder Hammer for the win!!!
    6. The Forge World looks like, well, a Forge World. That said, there wasnt a lot of variation in evironments.
    7. Animations getting stuck in walls was a slight problem
    8. Only played about 10 games of MP but I suck! Assault guys kicking my ass all over. Fun though ;)
    Overall, despite my quibbles above, a strong outing which hopefully will sell well. Well worth my 44 euro. There are serious possibilities in the 40K universe for a variety of games so hopefully this provides the stepping stone.

7.5 out of 10 (which may rise as I play more MP)

Most of the weapons have the right 'feel' but I think the pistols are rather underpowered.
    Underpowered? Hmm, I thought it packed a really good punch (although, I tended to take my time and aim with the pistol so I might've just been getting headshots) - I haven't gotten very far in the campaign just yet though and I've only been tackling Grotz and Boyz, which could make the gun seem strong :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

a well aimed and charged up plasma pistol beats the living snot out of most things, i used that a LOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

played a few multiplayer games.

there were 3 of us in party. 2 of us went for heavy bolters. we took a lovely spot near middle of the map overlooking "B". I swear to god now, two of us were spraying at one stage killing everything runing in! i was shouting on vent: **** yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah".

We all loled after. You really get the feeling that you are in some bad ass HEAVY armor suit with a huge gun in your hands!

i can allready see this games multiplyer die in next 2-3 months :(. Stupid P2P system with huge lag problems already. It will be like crysis 2 multiplayer in 2 months, wheres feck all irish playing it and you have to connect to some fella in turkey which has 0.01Mbit connection....

Played this in a sitting, had a lot of fun. But did anyone else feel a Titan should be - bigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its only a Warlord, seemed about the right size......now an Imperator, that would have been a sight to see.

If they showed the biggest guns they'd have nothing to show for the inevitable sequel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

*FINALLY* got stuck into this last night, oh my what fun it was! Taking some time to get to grips with the combat, but really, really enjoying it. I'm almost at lvl 5 after not a huge amount of play time, so I'm happy with that :)

Already can't wait to get home tonight and start into more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

There's something strangely alluring about the multiplayer, something I haven't experienced since playing Singularity MP, I just can't stop playing it. Great fun altogether, even when I'm being hockeyed.

It might be the way the only sounds the marines make is a grunt when they die. I think it shuts up most of the annoying people. The game still badly needs a "mute all" button.

And, well, what's not to like about firing a heavy bolter?

As much as I love this game, Relic really dropped the ball with the voice acting; one of the aspects of gaming they're most renown for. The Orks don't sound nearly as Orky as they did in the Dawn of War series and I was hoping for much better voiceovers in the multiplayer, from a Force Commander barking at you to make a final push just as you're about to best the forces of Chaos in a close game of Annihilation to a Raptor laughing hysterically with each brutal swing of his chainsword while slaughtering his former brethren. Instead it's just a load of heavy grunting and deathscreams every two seconds.

The multiplayer is alright too but it's seriously lacking in content. Shipping the game with 5 maps and 2 playable game modes is a bit ridiculous. However, it's not doing too much to deter me from enjoying it. I just wish more people spoke and used their microphones to devise tactics instread of mouthbreathing and sniffling into them at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

With such fast paced multiplayer and kills happening all the time, don't you think it would become annoying very fast to constantly hear the same voice-acting being used ?

• Advertisement

I honestly didn't spend a lot of time focusing on Ork voices or anything. Sure they sounded very british but they also died very quickly so no matter. The story moved along fine and the main protagonist was fairly well fleshed out and colorful. And sure it would have been nice of them to use a 5.1 or 7.1 decoding option, but still.

That said I spent more attention on the noise coming out of my own gun..

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    With such fast paced multiplayer and kills happening all the time, don't you think it would become annoying very fast to constantly hear the same voice-acting being used ?

It never bothered me playing Dawn of War, and they really upped the amount of unit voiceovers in the game when Dawn of War II was released. Some guy on Youtube ripped all of the voiceovers from both games and the Chaos Dreadnought from Chaos Rising alone has nearly 11 minutes of unit quotes. That being said I never expected there to be a voiceover for everytime somebody was killed in battle either, but anything's better than just grunts and moans the entire time.
    Overheal wrote: »
    I honestly didn't spend a lot of time focusing on Ork voices or anything. Sure they sounded very british but they also died very quickly so no matter. The story moved along fine and the main protagonist was fairly well fleshed out and colorful. And sure it would have been nice of them to use a 5.1 or 7.1 decoding option, but still.

That said I spent more attention on the noise coming out of my own gun..

Ork voices from Dawn of War sounded British to begin with but they put a lot more effort into them. Plenty of WAAAAAAAAAAAGH and KILL DA HUMIES AND SPIKEY BOYZ! Instead of "Kill the Space Marine!"

That being said I never expected there to be a voiceover for everytime somebody was killed in battle either, but anything's better than just grunts and moans the entire time.
    Some voices for stuff like killing sprees (perhaps when you get the first Killstreak bonus within a life, and again if you earn Max Killstreak) would've been pretty cool :P

Then again, it's hard to hear much when you're using the ground pound with great frequency (which is rather satisfying to hear :D)

Only 6 more levels to go until I get my Lv41 gear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Man im really enjoying the multiplayer in this game. Remind me of Transformers: War for Cybertron which also had an awesome multiplayer mode. But ofcourse as stated the lack of maps and modes is seriously lacking.

The single player is...ok. At this stage im abit fed up with killing Orks. Wasnt gonna buy this and wasnt on my radar at all but glad i picked it up all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

for the biggest problem is P2P... i dont mind matchmaking, i like it... but P2P......

enjoy while you can with this game lads. soon it will die out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

I skipped the scene
    just after you activate the yokey that's supposed to kill all the orcs but is actually a warp gate. Gutted i pressed X by accident. Also. Fúck.You.Drogon.

Quite gutted :(

marko93 wrote: »
    I skipped the scene
    just after you activate the yokey that's supposed to kill all the orcs but is actually a warp gate. Gutted i pressed X by accident. Also. Fúck.You.Drogon.

Quite gutted :(
    you can do mission select to get back to the chapter you were on there, and replay the scene. epic, epic scene that made me want to play Inquisitor scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Overheal wrote: »
    you can do mission select to get back to the chapter you were on there, and replay the scene. epic, epic scene that made me want to play Inquisitor scene.
    Back in time I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Right, i've given a good few hours at this, and i have to say i'm not liking it at all. I just can't get into it. The game blatantly lets you know that you don't know about the universe of 40k, the main character is less likable than Marcus Fenix, the combat is poor, and the graphics are not the best (the executions for the most part are terribly detailed).

Maybe this game just isn't for me, even though i did enjoy Dawn of War. Maybe is this came out a few years ago, it would have been better, but imo it's a poor poor game. Time to get my trade in value!

• Advertisement

Right, i've given a good few hours at this, and i have to say i'm not liking it at all. I just can't get into it. The game blatantly lets you know that you don't know about the universe of 40k, the main character is less likable than Marcus Fenix, the combat is poor, and the graphics are not the best (the executions for the most part are terribly detailed).

Maybe this game just isn't for me, even though i did enjoy Dawn of War. Maybe is this came out a few years ago, it would have been better, but imo it's a poor poor game. Time to get my trade in value!

Y'know what? I kind of agree with you. I think if I didn't know so much about Warhammer then the game would have been far less enjoyable. I can see why you might think the protagonist unlikeable.

Now, to me, as a long time 40k fan, Titus is a goddamn Space Marine Captain which makes him an absurd baddass. And of course I knew that
    Drogon was going to unleash the horrors of the Warp all along - after all; an open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and its walls unguarded.
    The orks aren't just a mob of random hostiles, it is a Waaaugh of legend. There were plenty of points during the game where I was quite concious of how confusing or irrelevant some of the content must have been for people not very familiar with 40k.

Also I am greatly looking forward to some expansions and sequels. The Eldar deserve a chance to shine: Battling along as a Farseer sounds like ridiculous fun, and they could finally show them actually treating Eldar lives as precious things, instead of the suicide Guardians of Dawn of War fame.

Advertisement