Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WH40k: Space Marine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,332 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Right, i've given a good few hours at this, and i have to say i'm not liking it at all. I just can't get into it. The game blatantly lets you know that you don't know about the universe of 40k, the main character is less likable than Marcus Fenix, the combat is poor, and the graphics are not the best (the executions for the most part are terribly detailed).

Maybe this game just isn't for me, even though i did enjoy Dawn of War. Maybe is this came out a few years ago, it would have been better, but imo it's a poor poor game. Time to get my trade in value!
    In fairness the game could have done with a few unlockable wiki snippets, but here are a couple that seem either pertinent, or interesting:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Horus_Heresy (serves as the backdrop for the entire fictional universe)
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/The_warp
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Exterminatus
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Codex_Astartes
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Adeptus_Astartes
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Guard
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Adeptus_Mechanicus
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Ork
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Inquisitor
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Ordo_Xenos
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Titan
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

As much as I love this game, Relic really dropped the ball with the voice acting;
    At least it's not like Boreale again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Denny M wrote: »
    At least it's not like Boreale again.

Boreale was the man.

live action 40k?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Overheal wrote: »
    live action 40k?

http://www.damnatus.com/

trailer:

germans, who else :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

terrible. but it made me laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Boreale was the man.

I've been waiting for the chance to post this...

:pac:

Robby91 wrote: »
    I've been waiting for the chance to post this...

:pac:

Lol'd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Finished it last night before heading out. I enjoyed it. Only thing that annoyed me was some clipping issues. Also the thunder hammer was easy mode spam. Will be going back and trying hard mode. The ending I could see coming and was satisfying none-the-less. Although
    the fight scene as you were falling dragged on a bit.
    it repeated the pattern three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Just finished this there now. Played it on hard which wasn't really too hard. Normal would be a bit too easy I'd say. Still haven't been able to get a game online which is annoying. If they don't sort it quick I'll trade it in even tho I really enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

CptMackey wrote: »
    Just finished this there now. Played it on hard which wasn't really too hard. Normal would be a bit too easy I'd say. Still haven't been able to get a game online which is annoying. If they don't sort it quick I'll trade it in even tho I really enjoyed it

PS3 ?
    Because I have no issues getting online on the 360.

They have already mentioned a fix for the online issues for the PS3.
    I'd give it some time, as the online is a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    CptMackey wrote: »

PS3 ?
    Because I have no issues getting online on the 360.

They have already mentioned a fix for the online issues for the PS3.
    I'd give it some time, as the online is a blast.

Ya on ps3. It's a pain in the hole tbh.

works good on the PC the multiplayer... but I keep getting distracted between mouse and keyboard and game controller. Oh sure Devastator Marine - controller, you will rock. Sniping you might wanna grab that mouse..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Bought it, loved it. Haven't finished the single player yet but am loving the multiplayer mode hope they bring out some new maps soon, love the Thunder Hammer and the Lascannon.

love the Thunder Hammer and the Lascannon.
    Do you have Killing Blow yet? I kinda found that the Hammer became a little bit boring after that perk (or else it was just me wanting to complete the Chain Sword kill challenge :P)

I hope that Relic improve the host selection process in future... while I haven't seen it in a few days, it's pretty ****ing horrible to have a really poor host (most people with <=3 bars of ping, and regular Waiting For Host pauses) without even one attempt to migrate the host... :(

Plasma Cannon is overpowered to high hell and I love using it. Using it with the Iron Halo and Improved Plasma Charge that lets me lob out plasma twice as fast. My first game yesterday on Waste Management I went 30+ kills and 7 deaths on Waste Management playing Seize Ground purely with it. I've gotten the charge-up shot trajectory down to a tee so I can get it anywhere I want, usually resulting in double and triple kills. Need about 10 more multi-kills with it to have all of the challenges for it complete. Only need about 10-15 more kills with the Lascannon too to have it boxed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Unlocked the Storm Bolter there the other day and my gosh that thing is lethal. On the map Waste Disposal and the erm Bridge one the gun wreaks. Not a big fan of the Heavy weapons class as its seems like primarily a class made for campers ;)

Actually playing Seize Ground exclusively in this game where as in other FPS/TPS games i would steer well clear of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Choosing the lascannon is for pussies. Real Devastators take the heavy bolter and change position frequently to lock down troublesome areas as and when they appear.

Most of my kills as an assault marine/raptor have been on lascannon-wielding heavy weapons guys who don't know how to mix it up.

Unlocked the Storm Bolter there the other day and my gosh that thing is lethal.
    Really? I always thought the Storm Bolter was a bit underwhelming - the ability to unload a shocking amount of shells into the target is pretty awesome, but I find that the accuracy and damage seem like they are gimped to make up for the rate-of-fire.

I suppose it's grand for dealing with pesky ASM's though (I, for one, dread to hear that sound when I'm fighting Tacticals :P)

EDIT: Is it just me, or do a lot of ASM's/Raptors not make use of their pistol? Just finished a game of Seize Ground on Basilica, and I don't recall a single enemy ASM (of which there were 3, I think) making use of their pistols. And the crazy Tactical Marine trying to fend me off with a Melta Gun while I was airbourne :D I'd love to know why people forego such a great weapon :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I use it all the time, it's fantastic for stripping armour before closing in. Or just finishing off someone who thinks you're harmless at range. Got a couple of long distance kill bonuses with my pistols, just to piss off the morons who all line up at a corner with their lascannons trying to get an angle so they can shoot people without actually playing the game.

I can see it not being much use on a console because of the aiming constraints, but on PC they're damn useful, and a constant feature in any of the games I've been playing.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    I use it all the time, it's fantastic for stripping armour before closing in. Or just finishing off someone who thinks you're harmless at range. Got a couple of long distance kill bonuses with my pistols, just to piss off the morons who all line up at a corner with their lascannons trying to get an angle so they can shoot people without actually playing the game.

I can see it not being much use on a console because of the aiming constraints, but on PC they're damn useful, and a constant feature in any of the games I've been playing.

It's grand and handy for harrassing Devastators/Havocs from the walkway on Shattered Bridge, while they are positioning themselves on the raised platforms around A or C :P And, of course, for just about anything else - it feels pretty awesome to get a few midair shots off, then dive in with the Power/Chain Axe for a swift, merciless kill.

As regards those LC Devastators not playing the game, it's always fun to take the fight to them (and, IMO, it just feels great to move towards them while out of LOS then use the jump pack and come crashing down on them) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Started playing this yesterday, just after
    the "reveal" of Chaos and Nemeroth/Grimskull going over the edge.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it, some parts can be quite tough especially when they hit you with a few Nobz at once... the decision to go for an execution can be quite tense, to see if you'll manage to finish it before getting nailed from behind. The sounds for the weaponry is quite satisfying, though the Ork voicework is a bit poor - little things like saying "humans" instead of "humies", etc... Just feels like they could have done more in that regard. The overall feel of the game is spot on though, there is only war, the Forge World getting the **** kicked out of it, Guardsmen dying all over the place. It feels right.

Played a small bit of multiplayer, interesting enough. Have to level up a good bit to get some wargear, but I can see it being good craic with a few mates.

Overall, 8/10 from me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Great game if you like the real cinematic type elements , its exactly what i expected for a wh40k game , i hope they make a proper sequal and not crappy little Dlc for the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Its a decent game, but jsut very average i think. The 40K license just saves it. but theres so much stuff in it that sucks. Theres zero variety in locations, (yes its a forge world, i know, but for gods sake surely they couldve made the story send you somewhere else for a level or two) theres zero variey in gameplay aside from mixing up your weapons and the odd on rails shooty bit. And the bit with the
    titan
    shouldve been awesome, instead it was a dry hump. Also, where the **** is my terminator armour? Where the **** is my dreadnaught?! WHERE?!!

a 5/10 i reckon, maybe 6 for the license.

'My dreadnaught' ?

Maybe look into how and why people get placed in Dreadnoughts :)
    As for Terminator Armour: That's only used in extreme circumstances.

Lore-wise it makes perfect sense.

'My dreadnaught' ?

Maybe look into how and why people get placed in Dreadnoughts :)
    As for Terminator Armour: That's only used in extreme circumstances.

Lore-wise it makes perfect sense.

i meant my dreadnaught as in, where the **** is one i can play with. Lore-wise it might make sense but im playing a game, not reading a book. Give me some ****ing terminators and a goddamn dreadnaught!!

Yeah, so like I said:

Look up as to how and why people are put in Dreadnoughts :)

You'd have to have your character pretty much killed before they'll even contemplate putting him in one.

Could be that in any upcoming sequel you'll get to play a small part as one, would be fun I agree.
    Especially if they include the Tyranids, I'd love to unleash a barrage with twin-linked Heavy Bolters or Autocannons against a swarm of them.

Yeah, so like I said:

Look up as to how and why people are put in Dreadnoughts :)

You'd have to have your character pretty much killed before they'll even contemplate putting him in one.

Could be that in any upcoming sequel you'll get to play a small part as one, would be fun I agree.
    Especially if they include the Tyranids, I'd love to unleash a barrage with twin-linked Heavy Bolters or Autocannons against a swarm of them.

I am perfectly aware of how people get put in dreadnaughts. Im saying its not beyond the realms of reason to maybe insert one into a game to make it somewhat more interesting instead of 6 hours of walking and shooting. The games biggest flaw is how repetitive it is, in a universe as rich and varied as 40K, to just have a game where you do bugger all except running and shooting is criminal

• Advertisement

Agreed that it's all a bit repetitive, but I honestly believe that they will use this as a benchmark for future sequels, who will hopefully be more of everything Warhammer 40K (Meaning drop pod assaults, Dreadnoughts, Titans, Tank battles,...).

A game like this, which puts you in several roles (Imperial Guard, Space Marine, Inquisitor, Chaos Marine,...) would be epic.

Advertisement