Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to entertain foreign visitors on a weekday evenings

Options
  • 03-06-2011 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

hi, I've a 4 foreign visitors from my company in town for a couple of days during the week, staying in smithfield area. I've been assigned the task of arranging plans for the first evening. They've never been to Ireland before so I was thinking of giving walking them around town to show them the sights, hit up a restaurant and then maybe the cobblestone for an old fashioned pint of porter and some trad.

Would love to do things like the Guinness storehouse, or trinity library + book of kells, viking tour etc but none of these can be done on a weekday evening, are there any other good options? Any good mid-range restaurant to recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Take them on the Literary Pub Crawl. I've taken visitors on it and it's alweays good fun
    http://www.dublinpubcrawl.com/

I've no connection with it except as a punter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Dart to Bray?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Take them on the Literary Pub Crawl. I've taken visitors on it and it's alweays good fun
    http://www.dublinpubcrawl.com/

I've no connection with it except as a punter

More evening walks might include:
    http://www.hiddendublinwalks.com/haunted-walking-tour-dublin.php
    http://www.hiddendublinwalks.com/northside-ghosts-walking-tour-dublin.php

though I think the pub crawl is an excellent idea :-))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

alb wrote: »
    hi, I've a 4 foreign visitors from my company in town for a couple of days during the week, staying in smithfield area. I've been assigned the task of arranging plans for the first evening. They've never been to Ireland before so I was thinking of giving walking them around town to show them the sights, hit up a restaurant and then maybe the cobblestone for an old fashioned pint of porter and some trad.

Would love to do things like the Guinness storehouse, or trinity library + book of kells, viking tour etc but none of these can be done on a weekday evening, are there any other good options? Any good mid-range restaurant to recommend?

Smithfield Market is on Sunday OP. Either GTFO of there or GTF Ready to do lots of explaining.

Also Dubs play Laois on Sunday. Tickets to the match sould be handy enough to get on the day. Should be lots of trad music on Sunday Evening.

Oops. Just noticed the weekday thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Bit twee, but doesn't the Arlington Hotel on the quays off OConnell St do Irish dancing weekdays.
    Wouldn't be my cup of tea but depending on the age group, it might do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Bring them to the Greyhounds.

The restaurant option at Shelbourne Park is relatively fancy and good value during the week. Or just bring them in as regular punters to Harold's Cross, if you want a more down to earth approach.

Dublin Ghost Bus tour, followed by a pub crawl (literary crawl, music themed or just straight up drinking).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I always take visitors to the National Museum (just a few hundred meters down the road from Smithfield) or to Kilmainham Jail.

Or have a look around for midweek fixtures in Hurling or Gaelic Football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If the weather is OK take them out to Howth for a wander round the pier and a bite to eat. Few OK restaurants out that direction. Similarly you could take them on the DART out to dalkey. Nice village feel, might be a change from the city centre. Been in similar situation before, Temple bar is reasonable during the week. You could walk round trinity college, take in a pint at the Palace (probably find a bit of trad in the palace) then stop in for food in the elephant and castle. Depends on the age range I suppose. Food and a few drinks with some trad music is probably your best bet. It's probably what they'll expect !

Advertisement