Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can dogs get stung by nettles?

• 03-06-2011 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

My fella was chasing the ball in park the last day and it went into a humongus bunch of nettles!
    He was in work mode so there was no stopping him chasing that ball and he charged straight in after it.
    There was no reaction out of him whatsoever, he just wanted me to throw the ball again straight away and no marks on his body when I checked that night, so I'm guessing they can't?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

the dog we had growing up bounded into a bunch of nettles for some reason (I was terrified for him!) but it seemed to have absolutely no effect on him at all. my guess is, they can't get stung either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

My dog loves running into neetles too and no effect - I'm almost sure that their hair stops them getting stung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Dogs can get stung by nettles. Exposed skin is the most vulnerable to this - mainly their belly and nose come to mind. In saying this, my guys will stroll through nettles, having a sniff along the way, not even noticing they could be a problem. One of them got stung last year, from the yelps and screams you'd swear he was dying, but lived to tell the tale and didn't learn his lesson (still goes out into them again this year!) Their coat obviously protect them from the stings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Def can get stung, my little one was stung on the paw on monday. think she had broke her leg she made that much of a fuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Guess it depends on the thickness of their paw pads and fur as well. When my middle girl was a pup, about 4 months old when we got her, she stepped on a thistle and made a huge fuss poor baba. When our youngest was a pup he stepped in nettles and he was such a drama queen but in fairness it was sore having delicate little feet when they are pups.

They all seem to have toughened up even the Papillon because our grass isn't a manicured lawn, it's a lawn in places but there are still thistles growing in it and nettles in un mown areas the collie dives into them but as long as they don't hit off her nose she seems fine.

Now and then the middle one will step on a particularly stingy one though and come over to me straight away all sad and holding up a paw, I usually put some vinegar on, no idea if that helps but once I've noted she's hurt herself she recovers pretty quick lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Yup my pup was stung on his poor the other week and you could tell he was male ;);). he rolled around the floor yelping and screaming and lapping up the fact that dh sat on the floor holding ice onto his paw and fussing him for nearly an hour. Then suddenly he was better. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My smaller dog has thinner hair on her belly, I used to shave it when I clipped her as she hates the warm weather, but stopped because she kept running into the river and lying down every time she got into the nettles. It would take ages to get her to come out, poor thing.
    Definitely depends on the hair coverage.

Advertisement