Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Auckland?

Options
  • 03-06-2011 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I currently live in Melbourne and work for an IT firm. I have posted elsewhere about not feeling it here and thoughts of heading home. All good on that front but now ive might have an opportunity to work for a year in Auckland. Earning my Melbourne wage plus extras for relocation and that.
    I lived in Queenstown for 10 months and loved it but thats not for me anymore. Need cities and all they have to offer. I love New Zealand. Such an amazing country, so much to offer but ive heard that Auckland is not a great place to live. Its all about welly, which is not an option at the moment.
    So wondering, to those who live there, how do you find living there? More than likely heading over alone (probably people from work going to but i havnt met them yet and so far not found them the friendliest bunch). Have a friend in Hamilton but thats a little bit away for a pint!
    Did you find it hard to get set up, meet people etc? Ive visited a few times so have a general run of place so its not totally alien to me.
    Just some general thoughts on the place, if you dont mind.
    Cheers
    Munky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Have a friend in Hamilton but thats a little bit away for a pint!

Its not that far away! Only about an hour, there would be folks who commute this distance. Would of course depend on your start times and work location within Auckland. Maybe you could couch surf with the mate until you get your feet under yourself?

Aucklands like anywhere Its what you make of it. I wouldnt live there a bit like I wouldnt live in Dublin. Nothing against them but just not into big cities (I know they are kind of small really.) The advantages of Auckland is that anything that is tending to happen tends to happen in Auckland, from Americas Cup to International Gigs, to Rugby World Cup. It has a more pleasing climate than Windy Wellington. Its suppose to be more hip and happening than the rest of NZ, and think of it this way it is an international airport for flights back home! (Or else where)

Advertisement