Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big is boards.ie?

Options
  • 03-06-2011 3:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Just curious really.....

What size is 11 years (or 13 years if going by first thread) of Boards.ie backed up on a server? In Gigabytes/terabytes, is there a fiqure?
    Details
    Type Company
    Number 319114
    Name BOARDS.IE LIMITED
    Address 3RD FLOOR
    LATTIN HALL
    GOLDEN LANE
    DUBLIN 8
    Registered 24/01/2000
    Status Normal

Effective date: 24/01/2000
    Last AR Date 30/09/2010
    Next AR Date 30/09/2011
    Last Accounts to Date 31/12/2009
    Edit-->The first Link isin't working properly even though the address is right when you hover over it:confused:, anyway just put boards.ie in the Company search box.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I remember someone posting up before that it was really small as in double figures megabytes.

I never did follow up on that to find out if it was just a joke or not. Its hard to know because most of whats on here is text based, although hosting pictures on Boards has become more common so I'd imagine it'd be a lot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I remember back when we hit the 1gig limit, and that was years ago. I think the usertable (the table that stores usernames, passwords and emails I imagine) is over a gig.

Whoever said it was in the double figure megabyte range was wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

No one should ever need more than 128k of storage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

<
    this big
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Bigger than yours.;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

In 2000, Cloud Boards was then rebranded for a more general audience. Limitations in what organizations could register prevented private individuals from registering vanity or custom domains. Breslin had previously been unsuccessful in registering the domain cloud.ie with the Irish domain registry.

Murphy entered a bet with Breslin that he could successfully register a domain for a rebranded web forum. Murphy renamed his company Spin Solutions to Boards for a day, registered the paperwork with the Irish domain registrar for boards.ie, and was granted the domain.

Q.E.D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

The database is roughly 28GB on disk.

The compressed backups are about 6.6GB.

And here is the growth in the volume of posts (measured in MB/month) since January 2000:

162173.png

• Registered Users Posts: 83,183 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Neato. Do you guys run SSD?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What went wrong in late 2006?

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Neato. Do you guys run SSD?

Nope. The database machines use 15k RPM drives. The last time we bought database machines SSDs were silly money. They're still very, very expensive.

Spear wrote: »

It's before my time, so it's hard to know the exact reasons, but the uptime and speed wasn't exactly fantastic back then. Those factors have a huge impact on the growth of a site.

Oh and BTW the above graph is only for text. Attachments are not included.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,183 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I signed up. Probably scared some legitimate users away :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Overheal wrote: »
    I signed up. Probably scared some legitimate users away :(

Class of September 2006! o/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Can't be worse than class of September 2001....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Mike65 went on Holidays. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

noob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

How does Boards do financially? Is this a big No No of a question?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

To paraphrase Douglas Adams:
    Boards is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to Boards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement