Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Spoilers** Series 6, Episode 7 - "A Good Man Goes To War"

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well The Doctor has mentioned before that there are fixed points in time where no matter what he can do, events will still run their course. I imagine the whacky days of 1930s Germany is the same. Think people are probably taking the title too literally anyway. Sounds more like it might be taken from a line of dialogue more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I can picture the opening scene already.

"So, what adventures this time, Doctor?"
    "We're going to carry out an assassination!".

Cue Matt Smith's wide cheesy grin and cut to opening credits.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well The Doctor has mentioned before that there are fixed points in time where no matter what he can do, events will still run their course. I imagine the whacky days of 1930s Germany is the same. Think people are probably taking the title too literally anyway. Sounds more like it might be taken from a line of dialogue more than anything.

I would agree with some people in that, although it does look set in war/ pre war Germany, the title will actually have a dual purpose in meaning he cannot effect River's upbringing because it would effect him so he would never change her history, and so on.

Much like if you kill the big A you'd never realise why you had to travel back in time to do it, and therefore wouldn't do it.

Timeywimey when it suits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Maybe Young River/Melody finds her way in 1930s Germany and decides that killing Hitler is probably a good idea and the Doctor is trying to find her and bring her back to Rory and Amy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ive assumed from the beginning the title just means that the Doctor (or somebody) kills Hilter as opposed to him committing suicide. Maybe thats just too simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Maybe Young River/Melody finds her way in 1930s Germany and decides that killing Hitler is probably a good idea and the Doctor is trying to find her and bring her back to Rory and Amy.

Putting her in various wars over the years would seem like a good way to train her to kill 'the oncoming storm' alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

i was very disapointed. I mean, come on, when the ganger baby dematerialised i was so expecting the doctor to offer Amy a jelly baby to cheer her up. But no.

As for fixed points in time, we dont know that Hitlers life and death is one in the current DW timetline. It may not be, in fact as things stand right now form the perspective of Rory and Amy, for all you know, Hitler may have survived the second world war and/or the war may have been longer and resulted in some sort of stalemate, and in going back to "Kill Hitler" he is making it as we know it.

Besides, time has been so constantly re-written in DW by now that you really should just relax about it, open the popcorn and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

when you see that child regenerating (note I am not naming her) it could have been in the 30's or 40's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Have I missed something? Who was the regenerating child in the orphanage ?

iMax wrote: »
    Have I missed something? Who was the regenerating child in the orphanage ?
    River Song who is also Melody Pond who is also Rory and Amy's daughter who is also a Timelord.

• Advertisement

when you see that child regenerating (note I am not naming her) it could have been in the 30's or 40's.
    River Song who is also Melody Pond who is also Rory and Amy's daughter who is also a Timelord.

Whoops :P

But no one is sure whether it's her we see regenerate...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But no one is sure whether it's her we see regenerate...
    We're still not sure that the wee girl is River Song though - do we? I don't think there's anything definitively pointing to that ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Surely and technically she is part Gallifreyan rather than a Timelord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

We're still not sure that the wee girl is River Song though - do we? I don't think there's anything definitively pointing to that ...

Yeah, it hasn't been explicitly stated yet, though there was a little flashback that suggested they could be the same person. It was while the Doctor was considering why Kovarian would want to use Melody as a weapon; he recalled the ruptured remains left after the orphan forced her way out of the spacesuit.

Between that and the photo of Amy and the child in the orphanage, this has to be the conclusion we're intended to draw... but it could be misdirection, too. Oh, Moffat, you card.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Hard to know what to call it. None of her parents are from Gallifrey so it doesn't seem right to caller her Gallifreyan. Can we just say she has a time head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

McLoughlin wrote: »

She is part Timelord. The Doctor originally said it was impossible as Gallifreyan's only became Timelords through years of proximity to the untempered schism. Than the Silurian said it was possible she could have human parents and still be part Timelord if she were conceived in the TARDIS while the TARDIS was in the vortex and since Rory and Amy were in the TARDIS on their wedding night...well I think you get it.

Btw, dunno where to put this as we don't yet have a full thread for 'Let's Kill Hitler', but a basic synopsis has sneaked out via a TV festival happening in Edinburgh, where there'll be a preview screening of the next episode:
    In the desperate search for Melody Pond, the TARDIS crash lands in 1930s Berlin, bringing the Doctor face to face with the greatest war criminal in the Universe. And Hitler. The Doctor must teach his adversaries that time travel has responsibilities - and in so doing, learns a harsh lesson in the cruellest warfare of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Btw, dunno where to put this as we don't yet have a full thread for 'Let's Kill Hitler', but a basic synopsis has sneaked out via a TV festival happening in Edinburgh, where there'll be a preview screening of the next episode:
    In the desperate search for Melody Pond, the TARDIS crash lands in 1930s Berlin, bringing the Doctor face to face with the greatest war criminal in the Universe. And Hitler. The Doctor must teach his adversaries that time travel has responsibilities - and in so doing, learns a harsh lesson in the cruellest warfare of all.

I'd say this could be when the Doctor/Amy/Rory finds out about who River Song was brought up to kill, whether that be Rory or the Doctor or someone else?

When's the second part back on the screens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cookie33 wrote: »
    When's the second part back on the screens?
    According to this (news story written today):
    The episode will be screened at the Edinburgh National Television Festival on August 26, and will likely air on the BBC and BBC America in September.

I'd say not long after the Edinburgh National Television Festival.. maybe first weekend in September.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    According to this (news story written today):

I'd say not long after the Edinburgh National Television Festival.. maybe first weekend in September.
    and in so doing, learns a harsh lesson in the cruellest warfare of all.

I still reckon that Rory and The Doctor end up at odds with eachother, I can imagine Rory going ape**** at the fact that his daughter is being raised to be a weapon, and I guess the lesson for The Doctor is: First you kiss my Fiancé, then you **** my daughter? What the.... FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The above is marked in spoilers as my theory could give something away about the previous bits that have already been in spoiler tags ;-)

Somebody totally needs to cam this for the rest of us impatient feckers.

I do not condone piracy but in the case of a Doctor Who fan who will watch it on TV and still buy the box set when it's available it's totally totally justified. I'm impatient. :-)

Advertisement