Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BJJ WORLDS

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I didnt read all of this but I read to enough to know that if you were promoted to a belt by me than thats what belt you are. I dont care if Eddie ****ing Bravo, Saulo, Royce, or Helio (rip) tell you that your not at the level. If that's the case I say get your ass in the gym and get back where you were becuause everyone who has trained with me or anyone under me knows I'm a black belt and I dont hand out belts easy.

Especially 2 YEARS after being promoted. To go back and compete at White belt 2 years later is not cool.

I'm sure people will jump my **** for this post but as always I'm being honest about how I feel.

Well thats an interesting turn of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paul rimmer

hi guys im paul rimmer from next generation liverpool. im one of chris brennans black belts.i joined to clarify my stance on this as a next gen school.
    whatever grade a NG student is given by chris be it nogi ,gi is the grade they compete at.. i go to clubs all over the uk on my travels and wear my belt with pride. Not a single instructor has ever questioned my belt or chris. one of my and chris brown belts from liverpool was given a stripe on his belt by braulio after being there for 2 months. did braulio tell him to wear a white belt? no. one of my blues was at carlsons for 3 months in chicago wore his blue at a gi only school. no one said anything to him.
    i personally train gi 2x a week and 8x without. however i will grade guys if they dont wear one as will chris, that is our choice. if they are going to a gi tournament do you think they dont put one on and train in it? a lot of people go to schools run by traditional old school brazillians and pick up there methods and ethics for the sport no problem with that at all. some of us however we have that laidback so cal attitude where being on the mat is more important than what we are wearing to train in. i love bjj its my life i have 60 guys per class. i have over 30 blues 10 purples 3 browns and me at our school and we dont care what you wear to class just train your ass off. most of you guys worrying about gi/nogi probably worry what tapout shirt your gonna wear to your boyfriends house. If you really have a probem with a next gen school and its grades feel free to come over here where ill be only to happy to throw a kimono on a guy at the same belt and change your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I didnt read all of this but I read to enough to know that if you were promoted to a belt by me than thats what belt you are. I dont care if Eddie ****ing Bravo, Saulo, Royce, or Helio (rip) tell you that your not at the level. If that's the case I say get your ass in the gym and get back where you were becuause everyone who has trained with me or anyone under me knows I'm a black belt and I dont hand out belts easy.

Especially 2 YEARS after being promoted. To go back and compete at White belt 2 years later is not cool.

I'm sure people will jump my **** for this post but as always I'm being honest about how I feel.

great to have your opinion on the matter Chris good luck in your fight in two weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Thanks for clarifying this chris.

da-bres wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying this chris.

Like it needed to be clarified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Chris Brennan

Thanks for the suppport guys. I only say this because I think I actually wait till my guys are a good blue before giving it out and so one up the line.

Paul thanks for posting bro and congrats again on your belt and all that you have accomplished over there. Anyone anywhere near the same city as you school would be a fool to train somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

Wow. Interesting thread, funny it died down so much once Chris Brennan posted in it, I would have imagined the opposite would normally happen.

This is an unfortunate situation and hopefully the guy can move forward and do great things in grappling in the future, he seems to be dedicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

The Westside Strangler just choked the life out of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Marcus.phelan

the ibjjf is obviously flawed if they count no gi blue belts as gi blue belts, two different sports. lots of tenth planet jiu jitsu guys have seperate belts, magnus hansson from sweden is a gi black belt under de la riva nd brown belt under eddie bravo at tenth planet jj. the ibjjf should treat both sports differently.

• Advertisement

Does that mean I can compete in the blue belt division of a Gi tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

Does that mean I can compete in the blue belt division of a Gi tournament?

Yea but if you're only at the standard of a white belt maybe you should compete as a white :p

the ibjjf is obviously flawed if they count no gi blue belts as gi blue belts, two different sports. lots of tenth planet jiu jitsu guys have seperate belts, magnus hansson from sweden is a gi black belt under de la riva nd brown belt under eddie bravo at tenth planet jj. the ibjjf should treat both sports differently.

Eddie Bravo does not call his jiujitsu BJJ. I'm not sure if this is pure marketing but he doesn't claim that his no-gi is BJJ. Next generation is no-gi bjj and the belts are as awarded as such.

True becuase we use the BJJ principals and always have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭cletus

Eddie Bravo does not call his jiujitsu BJJ. I'm not sure if this is pure marketing but he doesn't claim that his no-gi is BJJ. Next generation is no-gi bjj and the belts are as awarded as such.

Further to this, Eddie Bravo openly states that regardless of the bjj rank you have when you start training with him, you begin as a white belt in his class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Meh, he gave a purple to the guy who runs Submissions 101.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Meh, he gave a purple to the guy who runs Submissions 101.

Actually Ari Bolden got his BJJ purple belt off Keith Owen and is an affiliate, Eddie Bravo gave him whatever purple belt he gives out. Both cases were likely because he is paying big bucks to be an affiliate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Guys we've got the answer we wanted direct from Chris Brennan, to be honest that should be the end of it. If you have a next generation grade that's what you compete at in all competitions be it a gi or nogi tournament.

If anyone doesn't respect/understand what Chris has said, or what he has achieved in his career, or if anyone doesn't know who he is you really shouldn't be commenting in the thread.

why did anyone even mention eddie bravo in this thread, its about bjj and 10th planet doesnt teach anything useful for bjj

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Diab Soule

cletus wrote: »
    Further to this, Eddie Bravo openly states that regardless of the bjj rank you have when you start training with him, you begin as a white belt in his class

Bravo, in the middle of this mighty spiel, claims that he honours all BJJ ranks below black, with black belts becoming 10thPJJ browns until they demonstrate competence in all the 10th Planet stuff - rubber guard and so on.

As for how Ari Bolden got his 10th planet purple belt, well that looked pretty shady to say the least...

So if I started training at Eddies he would give me a brown belt? What would happen if I tapped him regularly not using 10th planet **** would I still be a brown belt?

• Advertisement

you should try get a superfight with eddie bravo at the adcc if his rematch with royler doesn't take place chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

This is not correct for proof do a search on Brandon Quick (fade to Black DVD) came into 10th Planet as a Brown which was honoured by Bravo. It later came out that all of his previous Belts were fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Diab Soule

So if I started training at Eddies he would give me a brown belt? What would happen if I tapped him regularly not using 10th planet **** would I still be a brown belt?

Uh, I guess by the standards Eddie's outlined then yeah, you'd be a 10th Planet brown. What that would say about 10th Planet I'll let you decide for yourself.

I have

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Great, another thread that's turned into a bit of Bravo Bashing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

12:45 might start up the debate again..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭cletus

sorry to bring this thread back up, I was sure that Bravo said he wouldn't recognise belts from bjj, so i went a-trawling the interwebz for an interview I thought I remembered.

Anyways, turns out I wrong, he will recognise every belt except black. Apologies :(

Heres the piece if anybody is interested:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=forum.posts&thread=1482225&forum=11&page=1&pc=13

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

sorry to bring this thread back up, I was sure that Bravo said he wouldn't recognise belts from bjj, so i went a-trawling the interwebz for an interview I thought I remembered.

Anyways, turns out I wrong, he will recognise every belt except black. Apologies :(

Heres the piece if anybody is interested:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=forum.posts&thread=1482225&forum=11&page=1&pc=13

interesting article
    "A 10th planet black belt can have zero knowledge of gi submissions/passes/sweeps, so how the hell can he be accepted as a traditional bjj black belt?"

Advertisement