Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl whole smoked Mackerel

Options
  • 03-06-2011 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Has anyone eaten these? Are they fully cooked or whats the story with heating them?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They are hot smoked, fully cooked and very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

CJ,I just looked up about Hot Smoking now,I never knew about it before,it would be nice to try some basic home smoking of meats sometime.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Home smoking is very easy, in fact you can do it with an old wok!
    There are a lot of books available now on how to do it.
    Give it a go you will surprise and impress yourself once you have seen how easy it is to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Break it up with a fork and add some cream cheese and lemon juice - fantastic and v.quick pate-style nyommyness!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I used the smoked mackerel, along with some other LIDL fish for a fish pie earlier this week. Worked out really well. Very tasty. Have also made a pate with the mackerel before (similar to olaola's post), and it was really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I love the smoked mackerel in Lidl. However, I buy the smoked fillets, not the whole fish, just out of habit mostly.

Nice things to do with smoked mackerel

- Pate - creme fraiche, lemon juice, dill, pepper
    - With salad and brown bread
    - Nigel Slaters smoked mackerel and bacon fishcakes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/14/nigel-slaters-smokehouse-recipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

I just had one for lunch and very nice too
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i like the Lidl ones, always very nice.

i'd normally just whack them under a very hot grill, skin side down first, then skin side up for a few mins to crisp it up and have it with some nice buttered granary toast on a saturday morning. very simple and very tasty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

They're excellent :) just flake it up and toss into a leafy salad or even through pasta.

Advertisement