Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claudius

• 03-06-2011 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Claudius is just an example but...

If a question came up (and I'm, of course oversimplifying a question here!) like "Claudius is evil/negative character.Discuss." do you think you would lose marks if you disagreed with the statement and disagreed well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

You're allowed to agree, disagree, or even both on these sort of questions. They're not marking you on that. What you need to be able to do though is back up your views and develop your points well. Don't disagree for the sake of it, disagree if you're able to prove "No, I don't think he is". Make sure you make your view clear in the first sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

No you could argue the fact that he is an able king, he is decisive, he takes his chance when it comes to him, he tries to act like a father figure to hamlet before hamlet tries to kill him and he is loyal to the crown (my crown, mine own ambition and my queen).

Right there you have five points and five paragraphs.

You can make any argument you like as long as you back it up.

Best of luck Thursday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

You can respond however you like. In 2008's Marking Scheme, they said:

"OTHELLO – William Shakespeare1
    (i) “Othello’s foolishness rather than Iago’s cleverness leads to the tragedy of
    Shakespeare’s Othello.”
    Discuss this statement supporting your answer with the aid of suitable reference to
    the text.
    Mark ex 60 by reference to the criteria for assessment using the following breakdown of
    marks.
    P 18
    C 18
    L 18
    M 6

Expect candidates to engage with the balance of responsibility for the tragedy, focusing
    on Othello’s foolishness and Iago’s cleverness. Candidates are free to agree and/or
    disagree, but they must engage with both aspects of the statement, though not necessarily with equal emphasis.
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

RHunce wrote: »
    No you could argue the fact that he is an able king, he is decisive, he takes his chance when it comes to him, he tries to act like a father figure to hamlet before hamlet tries to kill him and he is loyal to the crown (my crown, mine own ambition and my queen).

Right there you have five points and five paragraphs.

You can make any argument you like as long as you back it up.

Best of luck Thursday :)

Thanks!..
    Ye I have no problem backing up my points and opinions its just last minute panic on things that you can and can't do!...
    I hate the idea of making a stupid mistake when I know I'm capable of doing well!

Thank you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

Thanks everyone!=)xx

• Advertisement
Advertisement