Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marketing in DIT

Options
  • 03-06-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Im thinking of doing this course next year, and was wondering if people would recommend it? Are the hours long? And is there a good mixture of guys and girls in the classes? Is it more project focused, or group work or more individual work?
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itzybitzyfitzy

Hi, I just did my first year of marketing. It is a great course, it is tough going at some times. The hours are longer then some of the other business related courses it DIT. There is alot of project work, with presentations, group work etc. They all are part of DIT's continous assessment policy. The continous assessment is great as you feel less pressured in the summer exams. There are two different class groups, so classes are quite small compared to those in other colleges which is quite good. There was mainly lads in my class. Though everyone has their own group of friends. Make sure you are there for the first day of orientation and any of the group workshops in orientation week as that is when people develope their main friendships. If you have any further questions feel free to give me a buzz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

The continous assessment is great

This is debatable. Personally, CA annoys me. The student should have a choice between 100% riding on the exam like the leaving or mixed with CA. If you want to work while in college, regular CA will destroy you. What is even worse, is giving people MARKS for just showing up. It's third level, not a day care center. Keep the gold stars where they belong - primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itzybitzyfitzy

Naikon wrote: »
    This is debatable. Personally, CA annoys me. The student should have a choice between 100% riding on the exam like the leaving or mixed with CA. If you want to work while in college, regular CA will destroy you. What is even worse, is giving people MARKS for just showing up. It's third level, not a day care center. Keep the gold stars where they belong - primary school.
    Well that is your opinion, but personally I find that the continous assessment is great for the marketing course as there is alot of content in the course with presentations and it would not be realistic to not have any continous assessment before the summer exam as thoughout the course there are meany neccessary projects such as the drawing up of a marketing plan and presenting that plan so students should be marked for theses various projects. Also, the reason why they award people for attendence is because alot of students like to party during the week and may not be tempted to come into college the next morning. The lecturers award a certain percentage of marks for attendence in order to motivate people to come in sober or hungover. If u really have a problem with continuous assessment leave DIT and go to Trinity where all u have is the summer exam where if you fail you are screwed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DDDDDeannnnn

Can someone tell me the hours in first year for this course including all tutorials and the likes as i have a part time job in the evenings and would like to know if it is possible to actually fit all course work and a part time job in..?Thanks in advance..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Can someone tell me the hours in first year for this course including all tutorials and the likes as i have a part time job in the evenings and would like to know if it is possible to actually fit all course work and a part time job in..?Thanks in advance..:)

A quick look on DIT timetables shows its about 22 hours a week (including short days on Tuesday and Thursday but in Friday).

The timetables are hard to decipher until you start though as you will be assigned into groups and also some tutorials dont take place every week. Marketing also has a lot of group projects so you will need to have at least some afternoon / evening time free, as some of your group may not be able to meet weekends.

Its quite a mixed gender class.

part 3.2 of this document says a little about your final year and may help answer some of your questions from the other thread you opened. The document is designed for advanced entry students but its the same course everybody does! It looks like a very significant part of final year is continuous assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DDDDDeannnnn

Thanking you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement