Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did I ignore this person again?

Options
  • 03-06-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

I would love to see a reminder of why I placed someone on my ignore list - either a message I write myself or a link to the post that prompted my lack of interest in their opinion.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Use a pencil and paper - it's hardly up to the boards development team to help you keep track of your petty grudges.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Or PM yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Get a new tattoo every time you put someone on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

If you can't remember why you put them on ignore, should you really be putting them on ignore in the first place? Whatever they did obviously wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

We're probably all on Ignore, so he's wondering why nobody replied. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Mr E wrote: »
    We're probably all on Ignore, so he's wondering why nobody replied. :)

Who are you talking to? :pac:

But point taken. Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I find that reading the occasional post by someone on my Ignore List swiftly reminds me of why I put them on it. There's a certain level of consistent idiocy required to get on my list. It'd take a total transformation of personality for someone to be taken off it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It'd take a total transformation of personality for someone to be taken off it again.

But how would you know it had happened?

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Get a new tattoo every time you put someone on ignore.

Memento was a good film :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Orion wrote: »
    But how would you know it had happened?

First sentence of my post. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I don't have a list, I have this thing called "will power"

I find that reading the occasional post by someone on my Ignore List swiftly reminds me of why I put them on it. There's a certain level of consistent idiocy required to get on my list. It'd take a total transformation of personality for someone to be taken off it again.

Yep, pretty much it. It's nothing personal, I just sometimes find I don't want to listen to what some people have to say for whatever reason, so I tune them out. It saves my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Should moderators have people on ignore?

How/Why would you read a subsequent from somebody you have on ignore? (I know the mechanics btw, I'm just wondering why???)

As for your claim of "consistent idiocy", I actually find that quite condescending tbh, as I (may) find a lot of your post quite idiotic, however I also find that a quick scroll past your posts does not present that much of a problem to me.

I also find that most whom "act d bolix" quickly get banned.

I have 1 person on my ignore list, conno16. The reason why is that he constantly trolls a forum I'm really interested in. Now, I'd never call him an "idiot", but his humor is just not my bag.

I'd also never click on the option to read his posts, as I have him on ignore. I'd also ignore any post which has been quoted from him, while not ideal, I find people only rise to him, and that's exactly why I ignored him.

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Should moderators have people on ignore?

In general, no. I just don't "ignore" posters in the fora I moderate. Soccer, Pro-Wrestling, Feedback and After Hours are so much easier to enjoy this way though.
    How/Why would you read a subsequent from somebody you have on ignore? (I know the mechanics btw, I'm just wondering why???)

Occasionally an interesting topic pops up and I want to get opinions from all sides of it. I'm thinking of one guy in particular who annoys the hell out of me, but still has a decent understanding of the subject he posts about. When he posts news/facts I don't mind reading his posts.
    As for your claim of "consistent idiocy", I actually find that quite condescending tbh, as I (may) find a lot of your post quite idiotic, however I also find that a quick scroll past your posts does not present that much of a problem to me.

That's your prerogative. Also, I don't mind coming across as arrogant on this occasion. There are people I often disagree with (such as yourself) who I don't mind reading. There are others who just aren't worth engaging with at all.

In general, no. I just don't "ignore" posters in the fora I moderate. Soccer, Pro-Wrestling, Feedback and After Hours are so much easier to enjoy this way though.
    Interesting in that most moderators tend to use other fora to form an opinion. I also don't see how you can distinguish between posters on one fora versus your own? Surely a poster on AH has as much chance of becoming a poster on a forum you look after in the future as any other? Seems bizzare to me tbh.

Occasionally an interesting topic pops up and I want to get opinions from all sides of it. I'm thinking of one guy in particular who annoys the hell out of me, but still has a decent understanding of the subject he posts about. When he posts news/facts I don't mind reading his posts.
    That's quite contradictory in that you claim that people on your ignore list are idiots, or consistently post in an idiotic manner, and yet you feel the need to get an opinion from them? From what you've written above, it appears that your claim of "consistent idiocy" is not that accurate....and I simply don't understand your stance.

Furthermore, I would contend that any mod, doing his/her job correctly, should not have any user on ignore. It defies logic tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Wow, bee in your bonnet much IITYWYBMAD?

Is there anything Insect Overlord could say that you wouldn't pick at or criticise?

As an outsider to the whole situation I'd have to say your posting seems kind of petty tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Furthermore, I would contend that any mod, doing his/her job correctly, should not have any user on ignore. It defies logic tbh.
    Why? Any ignored posts are easily viewable with a click, and any reported posts are viewable by the mods regardless. Mods have two roles: moderator and poster. As a poster, they're perfectly entitled to make use of the ignore function. As a moderator, they should be reading the "ignored" posts in their forums. It's not exactly a difficult process to manage

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I disagree. However, I would contend that they should be viewing the ignored posts on the forum that they moderate.

But no, really not feasible for nearly 600 Mods to not ignore anyone, I wouldn't expect that from unpaid helpers.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Wow, bee in your bonnet much IITYWYBMAD?

Is there anything Insect Overlord could say that you wouldn't pick at or criticise?

As an outsider to the whole situation I'd have to say your posting seems kind of petty tbh.
    Huh? Nothing whatsoever to do with the person I'm responding to. My point is/was that while I understand the job is unpaid, it still has to be done. I don't reallyy see how a mod can do that correctly while having posters on ignore.

• Advertisement

I don't reallyy see how a mod can do that correctly while having posters on ignore.

Quite easily, now that you mention it. It's been explained to you very simply by the last four posters in the thread. I'll spell it out one last time.

I don't put posters in the fora I moderate on my Ignore List.
    When I want/need to see a hidden post, I can click on it and see it instantly.

Apply the same system across the rest of the site, if your imagination is capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

El Weirdo wrote: »
    If you can't remember why you put them on ignore, should you really be putting them on ignore in the first place? Whatever they did obviously wasn't that bad.

This ^

There are people on boards, a small handful, that a few years ago if i met them in person i would consider embedding a rusty blunt instrument into their neck *

Ive found however that now, ive learned to agree on some matters, disagree on others and when the rusty blunt instrument moment arises - walk away from the thread.

You will find that you may put someone on ignore if you find them trollish or that their opinion tends to infuriate you - this imo is not a reason to ignore someone - if for any other reason, my time her tells me they will eventually fall foul of the mods, and tbh, i dont want to miss that golden moment because ive had them on ignore :p

*exaggerating for dramatic purposes**

**maybe im not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The feature is obviously working if you have blanked them from your mind to that extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I think my Ignore button is magic, people I ignore usually end up being banned. :)

Advertisement