Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving carrier while under contract

Options
  • 03-06-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

can i move carrier, & port my number from 3 to meteor while still under contract... i know i'd have to pay both bills untill i buy out or contract expires ?

but can it be done,

im contracted till january

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If you port your number while under contract it'll either reject the port or Three will send you a bill for the full remainder of your contract i.e. the months plan cost X the number of months left on your contract

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Usually you have to ring three and ask to break your contract, so you pay them the full cost of the rest of the contract upfront. Then you can port to Meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The best way to do it is to downgrade to the lowest possible plan first, if you can do that within the terms of your current contract. Most of the providers let you downgrade after 6 months.

Once you've done that, call them and tell them that you want to move to prepay and that you will pay off the remainder of the contract.

Once you're on prepay, port out to the new network.

It's a bit more complicated, but at least you have no risk of huge bills that way.

They will usually charge you for the monthly cost of your plan X remaining months on contract.

However, in certain circumstances, e.g. you're emigrating or you're in serious financial difficulty, some networks will let you out with a cancellation fee to cover the handset subsidy. If you're just porting out though, that's not going to be considered and it is totally at the discretion of the network i.e. if they're being nice.

I dont think three do let you move down. I'm not 100% sure but maybe someone else can confirm?

Why did you delete your post iPwnage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Why did you delete your post iPwnage?
    i wanted to pm ask a question to the three team first...
    :D

cheers lads, ill see if i can scrape together the cancellation fee !! 360 i think i was quoted about a month ago :(

i'm a poorly student again these days thanks to the recession !!

45-50euros bills are too much for me, when i have massive creche bills etc to be paying weekly

Id rather go to meteor, get a nice galaxy s2 @25 a month :)

Cool. Problem there for you is that if anyone is subscribed to a thread (like this one) they get emailed every post immediately even if you delete it afterwards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

doesnt bother me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I dont think three do let you move down. I'm not 100% sure but maybe someone else can confirm?

They do, you can move up and down to your hearts content after 6mts on a 12mt contract, think 12mts on an 18 and after 18mts on a 24mt.

02 are the ones to watch, change an add on or price plan and your back in for 18mts. It's so anti consumer comreg should be kicking them for it.

Well O2 do let you move down plans no matter what length of contract you're on after 6 months. No re contracting required. But if you try to change up or down to a new better plan then they will re contract you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement