Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Syndicate game

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Maximilian wrote: »
    The rumoured Syndicate reboot is going to be a FPS. Like xcom, another of my favorite classic games is being exhumed and its heritage shat on. Discuss.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-02-new-syndicate-to-be-an-fps-report

Sounds good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Like xcom, another of my favorite classic games is being exhumed and its heritage shat on. Discuss.

yep the golden age of PC gaming is a distant memory, now its all style over substance with no innovation, its all about dumbing games down enough to appeal to the masses being the order of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

was hoping it was the syndicate game i was thinking off when I opened this thread and it was and like the op said its been shat on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The words "wait and see" seem prudent. But on the face of it, I can't help but think we need another FPS the same way multiplayer FPS needs more people playing sniper.

But why wait and see when we can lament loudly that it is ruined FOREVER!

• Advertisement

Hoor, have you ever played Syndicate?

Auvers wrote: »
    Hoor, have you ever played Syndicate?

Yes, of course.
    Why?

Yes, of course.
    Why?

I just cant see how you would be happy with another generic FPS over the spender of the original Syndicate :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think he might have meant that a lot of people won't wait and see how this turns out, and will assume that it's ruined forever and bitch and moan about it.

I could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Way way back when Syndicate Wars was still a new game, I remember thinking "Hey, wouldn't it be awesome if they did a Syndicate FPS?"

But that was back then, when developers were actually trying new things and being creative and brave with games. Now, in these days of regenerating health, bland unlikeable protagonists, clichéd generic stories and almost complete focus on style over substance, I just don't know how to feel.

Cautiously optimistic, maybe? Very, VERY cautiously optimistic? There's no reason a Syndicate FPS couldn't be amazing, but it would have to take a few risks that nobody in the market has been willing to make in a long, long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was about to scream bloody murder, but then realized how much fun I had with Fallout 3. It's the same scenario really.

It could be really great. However it won't do anything to stop me wanting another isometric version.

I just cant see how you would be happy with another generic FPS over the spender of the original Syndicate :confused:

Because I'm not hung up on an eighteen year old game to the point where not slavishly copying the original is sacrilege.

Let them make the damn game and then we'll see what it's like. Or we could all start getting whiny and melodramatic about how it's all ruined and games today are awful and bland and whatever the bullshit-du-jour is.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was about to scream bloody murder, but then realized how much fun I had with Fallout 3. It's the same scenario really.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 but never finished it as the scripted leveling I couldn't take

I used to love RPGs when you went in a dungeon but quickly found out you had to level up a bit to have any chance of killing the enemies

these days all the creatures seem to be the same level as your character as you progress, that sort of moment where you get enough cash\exp together to take on the higher level creatures is just not there anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

What actually mattered in Syndicate that would be difficult to replicate in first person? I suppose there is the tactical view but that alone does not define the series. Would a FPS Syndicate be too similar to Deus Ex?

Let them make the damn game and then we'll see what it's like. Or we could all start getting whiny and melodramatic about how it's all ruined and games today are awful and bland and whatever the bullshit-du-jour is.

whats wrong with making a game similar to the original game that we all played and loved :confused:

FPS are over cooked imo, they are as stale as 3 week old cream at this stage, gimme some isometric squad based game any day over generic FPS sh1te

Fnz wrote: »
    What actually mattered in Syndicate that would be difficult to replicate in first person? I suppose there is the tactical view but that alone does not define the series. Would a FPS Syndicate be too similar to Deus Ex?

Someone in the Eurogamer comments thread postulated a deus-ex/alpha protocol hybrid.

There's not much to justify that being true, but if it does turn out to be the case I will buy four copies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I echo the sentiment above, that I'll wait for more information before forming an opinion, but I'd still rather an actual new syndicate game.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Why make this as a FPS? Why? That's no fun - the isometric element was essential to the game.
    Oh the fun of using the persuadatron on a group of citizens, have them follow you in a line, cram them all into one car like some sort of clown circus track and then blowing it up... That'd all be gone!

If they can't do isometric, why not do it more like a 3rd person POV with a team like in "Mass Effect"?

whats wrong with making a game similar to the original game that we all played and loved :confused:
    hold on for a second. You're complaining that there is no originality in games anymore - yet you're upset that they're not just remaking a game from 1993 with some nicer graphics?

Anyway, a graphical update of the originals wouldn't sell anywhere near as much as a game designed with modern sensibilities would, so why should they do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Once it doesn't end up like CnC: Renegade, I'll wait for previews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Ah EA, why develop original IP when you can just resurrect the undead?
    I can just see the whiteboard in the boardroom of EA.

FPS + Remake = $$$.

How long before they get the necromancers after Populous/Theme Hospital/Wing Commander?

Still if anyone can make a remake its EA - they have been making sequels remakes of command and conquer, Medal of Honour, Need for Speed and Battlefield for years :pac:.

hold on for a second. You're complaining that there is no originality in games anymore - yet you're upset that they're not just remaking a game from 1993 with some nicer graphics?

hold on there a sec, I never said anything of the sort, thats just your assumption

I was never talking about a copy and paste job with a new skin, granted I would prefer an isometric design like the previous games but thats where the similarity ends , yet they trot out the old died and tried FPS, gimme a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

FPS Theme Hospital? Yes please :D Better still Theme Park!

I don't think the complaint is so much going in a new creative style rather that the FPS has been a tad over done at the moment (at least)

Though you can understand that fans of games on hearing a new version is being released and are excited find out that it's genre has changed to a style they don't enjoy. (Harping back to my ToeJam and Earl days again)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I can't deny that a FPS xcom or syndicate might end up being great games in their own right but what annoys me is that they bear no resemblance to the games they are purporting to 're-make'. Those games were classics for a reason. The game-play was brilliant then and if updated to modern standards would doubtless be even more brilliant now.

If you're going to do an xcom game, then make a bloody xcom game. If you're going to make syndicate then make syndicate. The likes of EA and what not just won't take risks anymore. There's so little originality (eastern european & indie developers excepted) and it's a bit depressing

It's like going to see Godfather 4 and finding out its a high school musical about a teenage witch in love with a vampire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Anyway, a graphical update of the originals wouldn't sell anywhere near as much as a game designed with modern sensibilities would, so why should they do it?
    The likes of EA and what not just won't take risks anymore. There's so little originality (eastern european & indie developers excepted) and it's a bit depressing

Changing Syndicate to a FPS is risky. It can't help but alienate a portion of the fans... and I see no reason why the brand should appeal to FPS players. So this could be a ballsy move by someone with vision; as opposed to a cynical cash-grab.

Blizzard changing Diablo 3 to a FPS, would that really be less risky than releasing it with classic, isometric, viewpoint?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Fnz wrote: »
    Changing Syndicate to a FPS is risky. It can't help but alienate a portion of the fans... and I see no reason why the brand should appeal to FPS players. So this could be a ballsy move by someone with vision; as opposed to a cynical cash-grab.

Blizzard changing Diablo 3 to a FPS, would that really be less risky than releasing it with classic, isometric, viewpoint?

I hardly think its risky at all. I imagine people who played and loved the original Syndicate are a small percentage of gamers compared with the whole. It's nearly 20 years old. Hopefully though, this new one will indeed be made by someone with vision as you say. Can't say I too hopeful though.

As for Diablo 3, I think it's just a case of a developer doing it right for a change. You could say the same for Starcraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I dont really get the whole "Its an FPS so it MUST be a bull*** game". As someone mentioned, it didnt hurt Deus Ex much being an FPS. Nor Portal, Dear Eshter, Amnesia nor Descent. Im gonna wait for some videos and a demo to proclaim it a terrible game. I dont see much from the original game that couldnt be replicated in an FPS format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

You don't think remaking a 1993 game keeping it's original Gamepkay but with modern graphics and technology is not original? That's very original IMO. Another way to think of it is as a remake of an original game. The game still stays original.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Ah crap.

I've been wishing for a new syndicate game since the 90's. I'll admit I never pictured it being another top down isometric style game though. I saw it as a GTA-ish style 3rd person open world style game.

Still having the ability to control multiple agents however , similar to how you order squads around in some military shooters. But more streamlined for a syndicate game.

Just picturing the cyber punk future city, flying cars and so on. It could be sooo good.

An fps though? What a shame.

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    Ah crap.

I've been wishing for a new syndicate game since the 90's. I'll admit I never pictured it being another top down isometric style game though. I saw it as a GTA-ish style 3rd person open world style game.

yep I thought that but please time for a change

how about a refreshing change with an a+++ title going back old school with a really pimped up version of Syndicate being released with the core game play intact

if I could drool like homer in a drooling tone, that would be me right now thinking about how my perfect Syndicate game would be *gets tissues*

but an FPS please nooooooooo

Advertisement