Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Syndicate game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I enjoyed Syndicate wars but i'd agree an FPS game wouldn't quite be the same, i'd probably still buy it though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Id withold judgement for now - FPS at this point is simply a point of view: it doesnt necessarily mean we will be playing a space marine called Grunt who is often confused with a shaved gorilla.

If anything, Im encouraged its Starbreeze developing this. In one of their previous console games, your character can sit down and watch the entire movie To Kill a Mockingbird, just as an in game mood setter to build attachment with another character. I also really enjoyed their Riddick games. These guys dont do cookie-cutter. Games like Rainbow 6 and all their derivatives show its possible to do squad based tactics inside a FPS and I simply dont believe that anything will match an FPS for immersion value.

This could be a really, really good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Info and screenshots have leaked this morning.

http://kotaku.com/5839046/the-syndicate-reboot-is-real-first-details-leak-out-of-ea
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444322
    Syndicate is the re-imagination of a cult classic franchise from 1993 - a unique action shooter set in a not too distant future, where Business is War.
    2069 – No longer governed by politicians, the developed world is divided up into regions controlled by megacorporations known as Syndicates. These Syndicates have revolutionized how the consumer interacts with the digital world. No longer does the consumer require a device to access the world¡¦s data and control their technology, they can do this at the blink of an eye via neural chip implant. Civilians flocked to be ¡§chip¡¦d¡¨ and enjoy all that their selected Syndicate has to offer; housing, medical, banking, insurance, education, entertainment and jobs. One complete package. One complete lifestyle. In return, the Syndicates gained unprecedented insights, and control, over the individual and their behaviour. With little governmental oversight, business has become war. The Syndicates will stop at nothing for ultimate market dominance. At the front line of this war are the Agents, the Syndicate's bio-engineered and chip-augmented enforcers. They can breach anything in the wired world including their enemies, their weapons and the environment that surrounds them, making them the most efficient and deadly technological weapons in the world.

Take on the role of Miles Kilo, Eurocorp's latest prototype agent, and embark on a brutal action adventure of corruption and revenge.

• Chip Enhanced Gameplay: Slow down time, see through walls, and breach your enemy and everything digital in the world with Dart vision – A neural DART6 chip implant that allows you to interface directly with the Dataverse.

• 4-Player Online Co-op: Assemble your Syndicate for global domination. A 4-player, online co-op experience like no other, with chip enhanced gameplay and 9 missions re-imagined from the original Syndicate.

• Visceral FPS Experience: Utilize an upgradable arsenal of futuristic weapons, armor and gear to annihilate your enemies and harvest their chip technology for personal advancement and sinister corporate greed.

• Sci-Fi Fiction: Immerse yourself in the world of Syndicate 2069, with a world-class sci-fi story experience, written by bestselling author Richard Morgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Take on the role of Miles Kilo, Eurocorp¡¦s latest prototype agent, and embark on a brutal action adventure of corruption and revenge.

Syndicate?

I like my agents to be faceless, dehumanised, pawns; to be torn assunder and rebuilt in service of a faceless megacorporation.

Facebook, Inc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'll keep an open mind on this, but maybe thats the recent reboot and resounding success of the Deus Ex reboot talking and giving me hope that this will go the same way :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The screenshots look pretty impressive which is certainly reassuring after the 1UP article on Starbreeze hinted that their tech was seriously stagnating. The marketing info, on the other hand, does seem pretty generic so I'm not ready to hang the game out to dry just yet. I think the problem with such a dramatic shift in direction like this though, is that no matter how good a game it may be, it still won't be a Syndicate game in most people's eyes.

On a side note, if at some point in the game I can press a button which causes tungsten-uranium rods stored in an orbital platform to fire down at a target, liquefy in the atmosphere on the way down and cause plasma rain to descend on my target, then I'm going to pre-order it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

bet you that we will be able to buy hats for your men
    Trilbys? thats old hat, Indian headgear ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

gizmo wrote: »
    On a side note, if at some point in the game I can press a button which causes tungsten-uranium rods stored in an orbital platform to fire down at a target, liquefy in the atmosphere on the way down and cause plasma rain to descend on my target, then I'm going to pre-order it.

Please have satellite rain, please! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Mr E wrote: »
    4-Player Online Co-op:

brb - preordering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

• Sci-Fi Fiction: Immerse yourself in the world of Syndicate 2069, with a world-class sci-fi story experience, written by bestselling author Richard Morgan.

YES!

If the story arc is anything like Market Forces it'll be a hefty leap beyond anything a game has delivered recently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, Starbreeze. I thought their last game the Darkness was interesting but ultimately rubbish. It'll be wait and see for this. Pity it doesn't seem to have RPG elements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Can't blame publishers for not commissioning strategy titles as they just don’t sell (not on console anyway). The average gamer nowadays has no desire for endless micro-management and tactical play unless it’s featured in a sports franchise or a FPS title. Moving "little men" around a map is seen as a laughable pursuit by the majority of people (I could digress about how anti-intellectualism is ruining every form of media but I'll resist the rant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm, Starbreeze. I thought their last game the Darkness was interesting but ultimately rubbish. It'll be wait and see for this. Pity it doesn't seem to have RPG elements.
    Read the 1Up article I linked to above, it's a very different studio from the Riddick and Darkness days unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just the other day i was thinking wouldnt it be cool if they made a new Syndicate game. I would play an isometric view "RTS" type Syndicate game, but these days a hell of a lot of player wouldnt, thus its being remade as an FPS. Its wait and see i guess

After the success of Deus EX: Human Revolution i bet dystopian cyberpunk games are gonna be the new fad. Like zombies are today. Theres gonna be a TV series and movies and everything, Bladerunner reboot. Calling it now...

I love the audio in Syndicate Wars. Nearly want them to use the same samples in this one.

"Move along", "selected", "*beep*"... all the classics.
    The Gnome wrote: »
    Please have satellite rain, please! :D

C'mon Trigger Wire!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I don't see how Deus Ex:HR can give any reason for hope here. Leaving aside the fact that's it's a different studio, this is the equivalent of Deus Ex having been made into a turn based strategy game.

This "Syndicate" looks nice and shiny but it's not Syndicate. That makes me a sad panda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Was a fan of the originals, especially Syndicate Wars. This looks promising though, screenshots are very blade runner-esq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

It does look good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Read on another forum that the writers from crysis 2 will be involved, hopefully this is just speculation or else :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Burgo wrote: »
    Read on another forum that the writers from crysis 2 will be involved, hopefully this is just speculation or else :(:(:(

Hopefully the main aim of the game will be to make Eurocorp the dominant corp rather than the protagonist realising his employers are evil, break past his conditioning and bring all the corps down and start a revolution.. I want to dominate the world under my huge, minigun-wielding Megacorperation fist God-damnit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Being perfectly honest, I was never really married to Syndicate Wars. I played it for a few weeks on PS1 back in the day. I was a damn fine game, and I enjoyed it. Kinda sickened that I don't still have a copy of it. But since they're changing the ideas to a FPS, it won't really effect me. Not a big FPS fan or a big Syndicate Wars fan, so I'm gonna sit this one out while looking on the bright side- That being that the original might appear on XBLA/PSN to promote the new title.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sadly this has been confirmed as a FPS with potential multiplayer for up to 4 players in co-op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

deathrider wrote: »
    I played it for a few weeks on PS1 back in the day[/B]

that's your problem ;)

PC or nothing for Syndicate, I played it on both and the PS1 version was terrible

Auvers wrote: »
    that's your problem ;)

PC or nothing for Syndicate, I played it on both and the PS1 version was terrible

Meh, I enjoyed SW on the PS1 (didn't have a PC) - going so far as to re-buying the game after sitting on my original copy. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

that's your problem ;)

Obviously if you play something on a superior machine then a lesser one won't seem as good.

I didn't have a gaming PC at the time, played it on the PS1 and absolutely loved it. It was far FAR from terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

that's your problem ;)

That's what I thought. Which is pretty much why I said I wasn't married to the game.

http://syndicate.lubie.org/swars/html/swars_controls.php

PS1 controller probably could have done with a few more buttons/better layout. Accidentally dropping weapons, while cycling though them, was a pain.

Select From Weapons: Square + D-Button Up/Down
    Drop Selected Weapon: Square + D-Button Left
    Pick dropped weapon up: R2 + D-Button Left/Right

Square + D-Button Right: just switched agent to same weapon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems really flaky considering how awful the PS d-pads have always been!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why does every classic remake have to be an FPS these days?

• Advertisement

wq-money-woman.jpg

That and big publishers not willing to take any risks so just churn out the most popular genres.

Advertisement