Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Syndicate game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

gizmo wrote: »
    Yea, that's what The Nomad Soul needed, more poorly implemented genres thrown in on top of the third person adventuring and platforming, first person shooting and beat'em up sections. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game but it was a glaring example of trying to do too much in a game and failing to polish any of them to a high standard.

Funnily enough, I never actually played it. I saw it at a friends house and it blew me the fuck away.

I was really only talking about the visuals , not the game play. As stale as GTA style games are getting we've not seen an open world future set game yet (cept for nomad soul anyway) and I always thought syndicate would pull this off perfectly. Instead we're getting an even more stale FPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Some in-game footage has finally been released: Link

It looks alright to be honest, even if it is somewhat of a mash up of CoD style shooting, a bit of Mirror's Edge style stunts and Deus Ex sci-fi-ness. It's certainly not Syndicate as we know it but I guess we'll find out if it's actually any good come February. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

That looked pretty damn good.
    Hopefully the game can live up the promise shown there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It looks good enough, if nothing even remotely Syndicate. Will give it a chance, but lets just hope it's not another standard fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Seems quite interesting but I'd rather it wasn't attached to the Syndicate franchise as it doesn't seem to have the same feel at all...

That said I think that was a persuadatron being used on the guard near the start, so my hopes are still up for a graviton cannon or satellite rain!

• Advertisement

That looked pretty damn good to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like a standard shooter really. Would like to see what it does to differentiate itself first before I pass any more judgement. Anything that looks remotely interesting looks heavily scripted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jesus, it looks about as generic sci fi FPS as you can get :(

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Oh well, at least there's always Paradox's Cartel to look forward to instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Syndicate Hands-On: [Link]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds pretty bland.

Also worst named protagonist ever. Miles Kilo? Is his super power being both imperial and metric?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

That sounds pretty decent, I like the sound of the three powers system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Looks pretty cool,

kinda mixed between Deus ex, and Call of Duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The close combat mechanics of the Riddick stuff were pretty tight. So that part of the game should be ok. Maybe.

On the whole though I'm not terribly impressed.It'll have to pull out some damned interesting tricks to make me think about buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sarky wrote: »
    The close combat mechanics of the Riddick stuff were pretty tight. So that part of the game should be ok. Maybe.

On the whole though I'm not terribly impressed.It'll have to pull out some damned interesting tricks to make me think about buying it.
    I linked an article earlier which went into a bit of detail on Starbreeze's history and unfortuantely it seems most of those responsible for Riddick have now left the company. :o

Yeah it's like a different company now although that might be a good thing because I thought their last game the Darkness was gash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh. Didn't know that.

Bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Rebel FM guys seemed pretty impressed with what they saw of Syndicate at a press event.

Podcast here: [Link]

Coverage begins at the 6 minutes mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just watched the trailer and was very impressed. I think it looks really good. I played the original but I'm not upset over the decision to turn it into a FPS.

The music in the trailer was excellent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

There's some gameplay footage out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

gizmo wrote: »
    Some in-game footage has finally been released: Link

It looks alright to be honest, even if it is somewhat of a mash up of CoD style shooting, a bit of Mirror's Edge style stunts and Deus Ex sci-fi-ness. It's certainly not Syndicate as we know it but I guess we'll find out if it's actually any good come February. :o

I see dub step has now crossed over into game trailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I see dub step has now crossed over into game trailers.

Yeap, at least for Syndicate. I didn't realise it at the time but the song from the trailer samples music from the original game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh; ignoring the debate around the use of the 'Syndicate' name & whether it's a true Syndicate game (it isn't), the videos are doing nothing except suggest this looks a tired, boring game. It just appears like a bland, cookie-cutter corridor shooter with some QTEs & nods towards the original game's tone.

It's funny that commentators have been giving off about how much it looks like Deus Ex: because as action-oriented Deus Ex's trailers were, at least you got a sense of something larger surrounding it. Syndicate just looks dull, dull, dull. If anything it just shows what a toothless, unimaginative & risk-free environment game development has become.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that video actually m akes me think of quake.. just brainless shooting fun
    looks a bit easy, but i imagine they do the demo videos on retard mode

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well it is a gun trailer afterall, it's always going to look fairly hectic & exciting. The gameplay trailer just up from it in the thread seems to give a better idea of how it actually players. Which yeah, just seems dull. I just don't think the world needs another FPS tbh.

gona have to disagree with you there, stalker 2 and the metro2033 sequel coming out next year :)

gona have to disagree with you there, stalker 2 and the metro2033 sequel coming out next year :)
    That's fine, but I have a greater apathy for FPS' with no discernible uniqueness or hook. At least Stalker had a solid RPG / Chernobyl-horror thing going for it, and Metro 2033 a strong mythology / horror thing. Syndicate just seems like an aimless, bland FPS clutching at a dead franchise for nostalgia points.

Meh, I dunno; just been playing lots of Skyrim & Arkham City & against those, Syndicate seems to offer nothing

aye, I agree with you there. generic corrider shooter #273 just isn't needed. Hopefully games like prey2/stalker2/metro etc can shake things up and show the big boys that there are colours other than brown/grey and there's room for a solid world behind the shooting.
    i doubt they will though :) roll on modern warfare 4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It looks similar to Deus Ex except more actioney and no stealth involved. Hopefully, it's as much fun as Deus Ex. I loved that game.

Advertisement