Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee...rough?

Options
  • 03-06-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi, heading down to Tralee the weekend on a stag but I am hearing it is very rough so I am a little concerned... should i be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Same as any other town the same size. Go out there a few times a year never got trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi, heading down to Tralee the weekend on a stag but I am hearing it is very rough so I am a little concerned... should i be?

Bring some sand-paper and you'll be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Yeah it's not really that rough, 3000 grit should do the trick....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Ahh it aint bad,No worse than any other town,Pubs I'd Suggest..
    Sean Óg's-To Start
    The Blasket-DJ usually-Spot for d chicks
    Bailey's Corner-Live Band usually-Same good for the birds
    Finish then in The Abbey Inn-Late Bar better than the niteclubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

You will be grand out im 22 and living here all my life never had any trouble but that said if you go looking for it you will find it. But if you dont you will be grand out. Enjoy the weekend pubs I would go to if I were you would be The Blasket, Baileys, The abby Inn. For late bars night Clubs The Abby inn is a late Bar they charge 5euro after 12 to get in so go before 12 to get in for free. The blasket also have a late bar free in. As for night clubs dont go to Horans as much as I love it, its more a student club so only really busy tues and thurs nights unless they have some famous dj or so. Benners night club is ok free in now I think but small enough.

As much as it pains me to say its the night club called Fabric that everyone goes to. Down stairs ca be rough but if your over 23 they have a nice spot upstairs thats good.

Enjoy Tralee.

Ps I will be going out either Sat or sunday so drop me a Pm if ya want me to show ya around the pubs for the craic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

How did ya get on OP?

A stag in Tralee?

The county with Killarney, Kenmare and Dingle and someone plumps for Tralee?

Wow. Can't get my head around that one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

A stag in Tralee?

The county with Killarney, Kenmare and Dingle and someone plumps for Tralee?

Wow. Can't get my head around that one.

why??? Tralee isn't a bad place, and I am getting sick of people putting my town down so much. No town or city is perfect, Tralee is no different.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    why??? Tralee isn't a bad place, and I am getting sick of people putting my town down so much. No town or city is perfect, Tralee is no different.

Its ugly. I think that's just the way it is. <snip mod edit>

And there is a perception that it is just about the most violent town in this part of the world. That's not helped by the very violent feuds between gangs in some parts of the town that have dominated much of the court reports, local media etc.

I have to say I like Tralee, it's my county town, and I am immensely proud to be a Kerryman. I have been out in Tralee many times and never had any grief, so I myself don't like the headlines and wish its reputation were better.

But it's still not the most attractive place. There is a reason visitors flock to Killarney, Kenmare and Dingle and by and large avoid Tralee. Compare accomodation if you doubt that. Of course that is not a fully fair fight, one of those towns is a tourist paradise and is the best large town in the country and the other two are much quieter and would appeal to tourists more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Its ugly. I think that's just the way it is. <snip mod edit>

And there is a perception that it is just about the most violent town in this part of the world. That's not helped by the very violent feuds between gangs in some parts of the town that have dominated much of the court reports, local media etc.

I have to say I like Tralee, it's my county town, and I am immensely proud to be a Kerryman. I have been out in Tralee many times and never had any grief, so I myself don't like the headlines and wish its reputation were better.

But it's still not the most attractive place. There is a reason visitors flock to Killarney, Kenmare and Dingle and by and large avoid Tralee. Compare accomodation if you doubt that. Of course that is not a fully fair fight, one of those towns is a tourist paradise and is the best large town in the country and the other two are much quieter and would appeal to tourists more.

Its ugly??? sorry but are we talking about the same town?? How is Tralee 'ugly'? I have grown up here, lived here most of my life and not once have I ever heard anyone call it ugly (apart from now!). We have the most beautiful beaches just outside the town, beautiful countryside, mountains, Tralee Bay etc etc....so how is it ugly?? Just because we are not a 'touristy' town, doesn't mean its because its 'ugly'!

These 'feuds' happened a couple of years ago, and if they are still ongoing, I don't know about them! I run a family business in the town centre and as much as we have our undesirable customers (as EVERY town & city does), I haven't seen any feuds or what I'd call gangs! The town has been hit with a lot of unemployment, as has the entire country, but its not a bad place. Yes there are attacks, fights, drinking etc etc...but show me a town that doesn't?? Plus we have some lovely accommodation, why compare accommodation??

I lived in dublin for 4 years and felt more intimitated living there than anywhere. I had my flat broken into...never happened to me in Tralee (fingers crossed & touch wood it never will), yes break-ins happen here too obviously, but my point is Dublin has far worse crime with serious gangs and feuds than our little town does.
    Yes you are a Kerryman, but you're not from Tralee, so please don't put it down. I wouldn't put down your town, nor would I call anyone's town ugly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Right, I have edited the last and second last posts (the comment and the quote). Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this topic, however, comments that were made about what would be an appropriate measure for the town, while may have been made flippantly, are uncalled for, and will only lead to upset and arguments.

Please try to stick to stating your point/opinion calmly and without bias or comments that may upset other posters, who in this case, are residents of this town!

Its ugly??? sorry but are we talking about the same town?? How is Tralee 'ugly'? I have grown up here, lived here most of my life and not once have I ever heard anyone call it ugly (apart from now!). We have the most beautiful beaches just outside the town, beautiful countryside, mountains, Tralee Bay etc etc....so how is it ugly?? Just because we are not a 'touristy' town, doesn't mean its because its 'ugly'!

It just is. To me.

Of course that is subjective opinion. I think Kinsale is lovely but Mallow is ugly, Cork is lovely but Limerick is ugly and so on.

I just think the centre of Tralee is not easy on the eye. The Mall, Russell Street, Lower Rock Street, and on the other side Castle Street, Edward Street...the frontages are irregular from an aesthetic view, and not helped by what seemed to be an exodus of business and footfall out towards Manor and the appearance of some dead frontages. There is a reason the centre (maybe even much of the town) is devoid of nice frontages, of art galleries and good restaurants and good hotels. People are not drawn to it. It may have a commercial importance, but even that seems to be in decline. I hope and pray that it gets its badly needed jobs boost, and I am not sure the relocation of shopping to Manor has been well handled at all, it seems to have been drastic on a town centre that I always thought had a bit of a buzz many years ago.

I do not know if the reason is historic (I know of course it is built over the Lee River, which might have dictated the warren of streets around the west end) or planning or because of economic reasons. Denny Street and the town park are really nice alright. And I will certainly admit that the mountains west of the town are lovely, and some of the beaches great too. But they are outside the town.

And I will admit that my opinion of Tralee may be coloured by the bad press. By the unemployment and the economic stagnation, by the perceived high crime (I use the word perceived consciously, but if I google "Tralee worst town in Ireland" right now, the first thing that pops up is a 13 page thread on Politics.ie). By the obvious comparison with Killarney, with its fine hotels and restaraunts and lovely town centre (improved enormously in the past 20 years, mind - there was a time when Killarney had more plastic signs than Las Vegas). Killarney has a cosmopolitan air that comes with being a centre of tourism for 150 years, for tourism in Tralee I just think of that week every summer we stayed there where we tried to shovel as much drink into us as we could. It's not a fair fight, but you have to admit it pales into comparison.

I repeat, I like Tralee. It is the capital of my county. I have great memories of holidays there, of great nights out, I am immensely proud of its history (I think of Austin Stack or the tragedy at Ballyseedy, now marked by one of the finest monuments in the country), and I love the people there. And it's easy to slag off a place for its architecture or complain about it's air of faint depression, I'm sure many Tralee people like you are very proud of it and would strive to have it otherwise.

As I said, I wouldn't go around calling other people's towns 'ugly', it's disrespectful.

I'm proud of Tralee & don't listen to or believe what I read as it's not all true & exaggerated. Yes we have our problems here & a lot of unemployment, but how is that helped by bad press or people knocking the place? We are all trying to improve the image of our town & the towns people are working together to try & do that.

As I said, I wouldn't go around calling other people's towns 'ugly', it's disrespectful.

So if someone asked you what did you think of the old tower blocks in Ballymun or Fatima Mansions, you would not use the word "ugly"? Curious. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it's kinda nice...just that we are different.

I know many people, including people from Tralee itself, who would think the same as me though. I know some who disagree too. Neither opinion is right or wrong, but I think having either opinion is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

It just is. To me.

Of course that is subjective opinion. I think Kinsale is lovely but Mallow is ugly, Cork is lovely but Limerick is ugly and so on.

I just think the centre of Tralee is not easy on the eye. The Mall, Russell Street, Lower Rock Street, and on the other side Castle Street, Edward Street...the frontages are irregular from an aesthetic view, and not helped by what seemed to be an exodus of business and footfall out towards Manor and the appearance of some dead frontages. There is a reason the centre (maybe even much of the town) is devoid of nice frontages, of art galleries and good restaurants and good hotels. People are not drawn to it. It may have a commercial importance, but even that seems to be in decline. I hope and pray that it gets its badly needed jobs boost, and I am not sure the relocation of shopping to Manor has been well handled at all, it seems to have been drastic on a town centre that I always thought had a bit of a buzz many years ago.

I do not know if the reason is historic (I know of course it is built over the Lee River, which might have dictated the warren of streets around the west end) or planning or because of economic reasons. Denny Street and the town park are really nice alright. And I will certainly admit that the mountains west of the town are lovely, and some of the beaches great too. But they are outside the town.

And I will admit that my opinion of Tralee may be coloured by the bad press. By the unemployment and the economic stagnation, by the perceived high crime (I use the word perceived consciously, but if I google "Tralee worst town in Ireland" right now, the first thing that pops up is a 13 page thread on Politics.ie). By the obvious comparison with Killarney, with its fine hotels and restaraunts and lovely town centre (improved enormously in the past 20 years, mind - there was a time when Killarney had more plastic signs than Las Vegas). Killarney has a cosmopolitan air that comes with being a centre of tourism for 150 years, for tourism in Tralee I just think of that week every summer we stayed there where we tried to shovel as much drink into us as we could. It's not a fair fight, but you have to admit it pales into comparison.

I repeat, I like Tralee. It is the capital of my county. I have great memories of holidays there, of great nights out, I am immensely proud of its history (I think of Austin Stack or the tragedy at Ballyseedy, now marked by one of the finest monuments in the country), and I love the people there. And it's easy to slag off a place for its architecture or complain about it's air of faint depression, I'm sure many Tralee people like you are very proud of it and would strive to have it otherwise.

Not so fast, we have numerous high quality hotels located not far from the town centre such as Fels Point and the Brandon and cultural attractions such as the Ash Memorial and the Siamsa (which does host art and traditional entertainment/plays as I'm sure you know). The town offers quality entertainment in general, hosting what I assume is the county's biggest cinema and a range of good bars--notably the Abbey. As for good restaurants there are a few including the Holy Cow! (it doesn't sound like a class act but it is a lovely place). Not everything might not be clustered into the centre, but everything is walking distance.

And economic stagnation is of course not exclusive to our town. The town's aesthetic appeal is your own opinion, I don't even necessarily disagree, but it would be remiss of one not to point out that we do have the attractions you seem to think we have not.

VALIS wrote: »
    Not so fast, we have numerous high quality hotels located not far from the town centre such as Fels Point and the Brandon

High quality?

I think Fels Point is a Carlton. Which is fine, in fairness. I have stayed there a couple of times, you know what you're getting anyway. But a long way from 5 star. Which you get in both Killarney and Kenmare (not sure about Dingle mind).

The Brandon is surely not even good 3 star? It is rated 14 out of 15 Tralee hotels on Tripadvisor. Tripadvisor can be mixed, a hotel with few reviews can find itself way up a list. But 16 of the 65 reviews on it said it's terrible. That's not good at all.

Quality is a hotel like the Europe, the Brehon, the Aghadoe Heights, the Killarney Park, Dunloe Castle Hotel, the Malton, Cahernane House...there must be a least a dozen quality hotels in Killarney.

I know less about eating out in Tralee. Have only been to the David Norris years back and Bella Bia more recently. Oh and the place over Val Sheas. All fine, in fairness, the David Norris was good. Must check out the Holy Cow.
    the Siamsa

Is fairly iconic alright. I should have referred to it in my own post above. Not sure it bears comparison with the INEC in terms of entertainment venue to suit a crowd (3,000, regular concerts with acts from Snow Patrol to Morrissey, Irish music, kids plays) but of course it plays to a different genre.

Maybe I'm seeing everything through the prism of Killarney, which whips just about every Irish town of its size in every department. Many towns in Ireland are not great for hotels or restaurants. And for the third post I should point out that despite my reservations I like Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Conor74, you've almost to the word echoed (albeit more eloquenty) a discussion I had with someone earlier today. Well said.

I think sometimes (not specifically here, but in general) people think that when one says something critical of a place that you're deliberately trying to run it down, so they get defensive. But in fact it's more a case of people not settling for mediocrity and wanting the very best possible for the town.

Not so fast, we have numerous high quality hotels located not far from the town centre such as Fels Point and the Brandon and cultural attractions such as the Ash Memorial and the Siamsa (which does host art and traditional entertainment/plays as I'm sure you know). The town offers quality entertainment in general, hosting what I assume is the county's biggest cinema and a range of good bars--notably the Abbey. As for good restaurants there are a few including the Holy Cow! (it doesn't sound like a class act but it is a lovely place). Not everything might not be clustered into the centre, but everything is walking distance.

And economic stagnation is of course not exclusive to our town. The town's aesthetic appeal is your own opinion, I don't even necessarily disagree, but it would be remiss of one not to point out that we do have the attractions you seem to think we have not.

Don't forget Ballygarry Hotel & Spa, superb place and really well run.
    David Norris closed about 5 years ago, but totally agree that the Holy Cow is good, as is Bella Bia of course. Cassidy's restaurant is another good place to eat. We also have a lovely town park, Aqua Dome and there is a new park being built at the moment just opposite the Aqua Dome. Oh and we have the Rose of Tralee, which has been going for 52 years now (I think) and still attracts huge viewing figures on RTE and a great boost to the town both economically and I love the buzz during it, and being able to hear all the music from my house! Eventhough there's the rough crowd who can bring it down and ruin it for some, there is still a lot of fun to be had, and this year looks to be a great line up of music!

Again I love Tralee, despite its downfalls & problems. I moved back here from Dublin as I missed it so much. I love that I can be at a beach in 10 minutes, and blue flag beaches at that! I don't look at my town and think its an ugly town. Nor does anyone I know. I walked through the town today and thought no its definitely not ugly, especially when the sun is shining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

In fairness, comparing Killarney and Tralee is comparing apples and oranges - Killarney is primarily a tourist town and always has been and the main reason for this is because of the national park and all the scenery etc. Tralee has historically always been a commercial town with mills, factories, shops etc and grew the way it is as a result of this.

Unfortunately the scumbag quotient in Tralee has increased dramatically over the last few years but personally I've never had any issues and I live in the centre of town. A big effort is being made in Tralee to improve the town lately with the eco-park and a number of other projects however Manor is choking the life out of the centre of town which is a shame.

I wouldn't call Tralee ugly, in comparison to a number of other towns in Ireland its bloody great. It's no Killarney, but half the year Killarney is nothing more than thousands of empty hotel and B&B beds.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    In fairness, comparing Killarney and Tralee is comparing apples and oranges - Killarney is primarily a tourist town and always has been and the main reason for this is because of the national park and all the scenery etc. Tralee has historically always been a commercial town with mills, factories, shops etc and grew the way it is as a result of this.

Point accepted, I think I said it myself that comparison with Killarney is hard on any town.
    Manor is choking the life out of the centre of town which is a shame.

Agree. Bit of a shame. But guess that's what has happened in so many towns, planners got this brain wave that the model had to be offices in town centre, large retail units in standard "all units look alike" in subarbs, preferably where all traffic can stare at it. Killarney has its Park Road. Even towns like Kenmare got it, where the town centre is not nearly as busy as it was 5 years back and all the shopping needs are located away from there. In decades to come they will look back at the death of towns and wonder why did noone say "stop".
    half the year Killarney is nothing more than thousands of empty hotel and B&B beds.

Now now, it's a little bit more than that. The town itself, the Demesne, the Cathedral, the lakes, the National Park, Ross Castle, Muckross House and Gardens...they don't go away you know...;):D

• Advertisement

Now now, it's a little bit more than that. The town itself, the Demesne, the Cathedral, the lakes, the National Park, Ross Castle, Muckross House and Gardens...they don't go away you know...;):D

:DThat came out badly. I love Killarney but in the off-season a lot of it is a bit redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Is tralee rough? I have been out regularly at night there for years and never had any trouble having said that you can see that some nights there is a rough atmosphere to the place I'm not sure if its just groups shouting among themselves or what.

With all this in mind. Tralee is a pretty good town for drinking!

I would suggest the following

Start in Boherbuee in the ballymac bar as long as the crowd is less than twenty it is a safe and quiet pub with 2 pool tables in the back jukebox not bad. nice place nice people.

My cousin is in the Slieve mish bar so call there too Have not been there in ages so cannot say what it is like but the front bar was nice.

Henneseys and then around the corner to the osbourne (it has a brilliant jukebox)

Blasket

Bailey's corner

the town and country proper old mans pub

Sean og's

the Abbey

you could probably leave out Sliabh Mish and Hennesseys From the list

fast food wise new yorkers, the Green Rooster and milanos are probably the best.

For sit down food the indian on Edward street just up the road from the Osbourne the thai place in courthouse lane. bella bia is always good and holy cow has good things said about.

In some ways Tralee is a good stag town.

Town & country has closed down so leave that off the list too! Sean Ogs is good too, has regular live Irish music (may already be on list!). I dont go out as much as I used to, but when I am put I dont see any major problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

The Thai place down by the courthouse is gone now as well.

dapto1 wrote: »

there's a Chinese all you can eat buffet gone in there now! Tamarind Thai restaurant behind Garvey's is lovely though and Padoga Chinese up in Manor beside McDonalds is lovely too :)

NOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    :eek:

sheesh wrote: »
    NOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    :eek:

There's still the Tamarind. My favourite takeaway in town.

There's still the Tamarind. My favourite takeaway in town.

Yeah thats pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 conjollins

It aint gone - just renamed - exact same menu - still as good as ever and the chinese all you can eat buffet is seperate upstairs:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement