Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a lone baker?

Options
  • 03-06-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

I have to clear the kitchen and ban everyone from the room when baking, I double and triple check recipes when baking so need to concentrate otherwise I get stuff wrong so I need everyone out.

Can you bake in a room full of people or do you banish everyone from the kitchen or even from the house.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have no problem with people sitting and chatting to me when I bake, but I cannot have anyone getting in my way. If I need help, I'll ask for it, but unless I ask, I want to do it all myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Faith wrote: »
    I have no problem with people sitting and chatting to me when I bake, but I cannot have anyone getting in my way. If I need help, I'll ask for it, but unless I ask, I want to do it all myself!

My mother does that, just barges in and starts "helping" and then gets offended when I give out because she is messing up my system of chaos!

I dont mind people being in the room, would prefer it actually as long as they arent in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't mind people in the room as long as they don't offer suggestions. My Dad is terrible for it, he's always telling me to throw random stuff into any mixture.

Although when I'm baking I'm always talking to myself rather loudly so people tend to leave the room anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yeah I tend to get left alone to bake cuz I tell people to sod off out of my way or to stop ''helping''. Drives me made, my mother texted me one time I was out (I'd bought all the ingredients for a carrot cake) would she 'get things ready' for me.
    I thought she meant just get out bowls n what not. Got home, everything was ready to be mixed together, that was all that was left to do, mix it and put it in a tin. So I told her to finish it herself.

yeah... best to leave me alone lol

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I tend to bake late at night or at like 7a.m when no one will be up. I don't mind if someone's in the kitchen and doing what they need to, minding their own business, but as soon as they start watching me or doing a running commentary on what I'm doing or asking loads of questions I get seriously bothered.

My 2 friends came over trying to help me one morning I was baking cupcakes for our mate and they were staring at me and kept asking for help and I ended up leaving out a key ingredient while spooning the cupcakes into the bloody liners.

I was so livid and blew my lid, so they never come near me when I cook now :pac:

Gordon Ramsey has nothing on my tantrums :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I don't mind either way. I'll quite happily potter around the kitchen by myself or chat away to anyone who comes in. What I do find irritating is people getting in the way and pushing into my personal space. I also tend to be a pretty sponaneous cook, I'll throw different things into the mix, and I hate people questioning why I'm doing it!! I'm doing it because I feel like doing it!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Drives me nuts when "help" comes along...people have different "rhythms" as it were while baking, different way of doing things etc, while it is good intentioned most the time I really don't like it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Phew am not the only one so, worst nightmare came true my kitchen was invaded by 'helpers' just when I was getting in to baking mode and plodding along nicely. So relieved a cake turned out well and didn't fall apart then people keep prodding it to check if I've cooked it through..argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

I do not allow anyone into the kitchen when I am baking mostly because of the hygenic reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

DreamC wrote: »
    I do not allow anyone into the kitchen when I am baking mostly because of the hygenic reasons.

Suppose it's a bit different though when you're HSE Registered to hobby bakers, that's why I didn't answer this, we've rules to follow whereas most others don't.

But when I am baking for myself I still don't let people in, after an incident where I added double the amount of flour to a cake because I was talking to a friend :o Tasted fine actually!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I prefer to cook alone as i find it therapeutic...

Advertisement