Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Hates-Exam Behavior!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Incidentally, does anyone know if there's any specific room requirements for the aural exams? I'm going to be in a hall for my exams and I really don't fancy having to try and do an aural in a massive room with high ceilings and hard floors, the echo would make it impossible to discern even a single word.

Yeah, I'm slightly worried about this.

In our mock French aural, I could not hear it properly. We were in a large room and the acoustics were awful. And that's where we'll be for the real thing too.

I got 40/80...admittedly it was slightly harder than normal but I genuinely couldn't hear it properly. I generally average between 62 and 72 on aural papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Incidentally, does anyone know if there's any specific room requirements for the aural exams? I'm going to be in a hall for my exams and I really don't fancy having to try and do an aural in a massive room with high ceilings and hard floors, the echo would make it impossible to discern even a single word.

A friend of mine has actual hearing problems and has been allocated a classroom to herself while doing the aural. She had to specially request it though and as far as I know - provide a hospital letter...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

As far as I know the only time the examiner can stop the tape is if it is interrupted by a plane flying over.

raging to be sitting the leaving cert near any airports. :pac:

My school is relatively near an airport. Planes fly over quite a lot, you wouldn't generally notice the noise in the general run of things though. Maybe in an aural exam...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Fireball07 wrote: »
    My school is relatively near an airport. Planes fly over quite a lot, you wouldn't generally notice the noise in the general run of things though. Maybe in an aural exam...

Same... After six years of them you grow accustomed to them! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

unpeumad wrote: »
    aaaaaaaaaaand shaky legs

Oh God! That is the worst! And heavy breathing..! :(

Eugh wish I had asked for my own room..!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Just to clear it up, superintendents in the state exams are NOT allowed to bring any material into the exam for reading. It's their job to be supervising the exam centre at all times. Now there are always a couple of eejits (remember the twitter guy last year?) but 99.9% of superintendents will not ignore or annoy you. Mocks and in-house exams don't compare.

In my LC, the superintendent had really squeaky shoes and paced up and down the hall....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

there is a guy in my year who sniffs every 10 seconds or so and it's so irritating. its not a little sniff, its so big im surprised the exam paper doesnt get inhaled
    and we have a few leg shakers too, very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 9 unpeumad

Oh God! That is the worst! And heavy breathing..! :(

Eugh wish I had asked for my own room..!
    I don't understand the shaky leg thing , I tried it one day and it was so uncomfortable and unnatural xD must be a nerve thing ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭soup1

i HATE when they mix higher level and ordinary level in the same room! Half way through the maths higher level paper, the sea of morons one by one race to finish their paper and proceed to make as much noise as possible as they leave! Just because the majority sit ordinary level maths does not mean you all can talk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

why would you take your shoes off in an exam? I don't understand it. I ****ing hate feet and when people decide to take their shoes off in an exam I actually want to throw my script at them. WHY WOULD YOU EVEN DO THAT??!:mad:

I always take off my shoes because it's comfortable. obviously. You don't have to look at peoples feet you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 unpeumad

soup1 wrote: »
    i HATE when they mix higher level and ordinary level in the same room! Half way through the maths higher level paper, the sea of morons one by one race to finish their paper and proceed to make as much noise as possible as they leave! Just because the majority sit ordinary level maths does not mean you all can talk!
    I dont think its fair to call those who sit ordinary level maths "a sea of morons" !
    I see your point about the noise made as students leave an exam hall but this is not just for HL/OL maths it goes for ALL subjects

so sit back and enjoy the ride :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone but I hate it when the person beside you is doing nothing but sitting there. In my 3rd year Summer Exams, this guy sitting next to me came in late, wrote his name on the paper and then just folded his arms for 2 hours. SO ANNOYING!

How is that even annoying?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Chewing or slurping or pen tapping or shuffling.

Or superintendants that are so overweight that it literally takes them 5 minutes to get out of their chair to give you paper! That's what happened in the JC! By the end of the exams we all felt so bad for him that we stopped asking for paper it was such a struggle for him!

Oh and CRYING!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

When you reeeeeally need to blow your nose but you're scared of sounding like a trumpet. So you're left with a runny nose. Can't beat a good bit of hay fever :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I hate it when the whole exam hall jumps up to have a gawk at the tractor driving around in the field across from the school, everyone's head just follows it slowly as it drives back and forth while their mouths are agape.

Or when a cow Moo's in the distance and every single person starts going "MOOO MOOO MOO HUAHEUAHUE MOOOOO MOOO UR SUM DOPE BOIII MOOO" then some person outside runs past making car sounds "vrooooooommm vroooommm" and the whole hall ends up screaming their heads off and throwing chairs around while that one ****e feeble teacher is quietly saying "now stop that! if you don't stop that I'm going to tell the principle! oh fine I'm just going to sit here!!"

Oh wait, that doesn't happen in your schools? oh...

Yes it actually does happen down here

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I hate it when the whole exam hall jumps up to have a gawk at the tractor driving around in the field across from the school, everyone's head just follows it slowly as it drives back and forth while their mouths are agape.

Or when a cow Moo's in the distance and every single person starts going "MOOO MOOO MOO HUAHEUAHUE MOOOOO MOOO UR SUM DOPE BOIII MOOO" then some person outside runs past making car sounds "vrooooooommm vroooommm" and the whole hall ends up screaming their heads off and throwing chairs around while that one ****e feeble teacher is quietly saying "now stop that! if you don't stop that I'm going to tell the principle! oh fine I'm just going to sit here!!"

Oh wait, that doesn't happen in your schools? oh...

Yes it actually does happen down here

Lol this made me laugh :P If there were windows in our exam hall I'm pretty certain it would happen in our school too :P I don't think it will happen in your LC though so don't worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Lol this made me laugh :P If there were windows in our exam hall I'm pretty certain it would happen in our school too :P I don't think it will happen in your LC though so don't worry!

I'm expecting something to happen. Our mocks was constant talking and walking around the place.

Seriously? Our teachers that were supervising the mocks were the worst. Constant gossiping up the front was SO distracting!
    The external supervisors should be more professional though and I'm sure there are strict codes of practice for how to deal with anyone who disrupts an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

People dissecting every bit of the paper afterwards - "What did you say? OMG I didn't say that, I must have failed!" I understand why people do it, but it's just so annoying! I don't mind a bit of discussion afterwards, asking which essays people chose and all that out of interest, but I just can't stand the frenzied, panicked kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

leaveiton wrote: »
    People dissecting every bit of the paper afterwards - "What did you say? OMG I didn't say that, I must have failed!" I understand why people do it, but it's just so annoying! I don't mind a bit of discussion afterwards, asking which essays people chose and all that out of interest, but I just can't stand the frenzied, panicked kind.

My plan is to just go straight home talk to no one ....... But I know that I won't be able to escape the dissecting on boards!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I hate post mortems of exams, if its done its done. Going through it is just upsetting. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Last year, when I was sitting there awaiting English paper 2, I hear people going "if Boland doesn't come up I'm walkin out after half an hour" (everyone agrees and say they will do the same)

Anyway Boland doesn't come up and typically after half and hour not one sinner walks out. The same guy who said he is walking out is wrestling with the examiner, at the end, to keep his exam booklet. So stupid! Why would you bother lying like that just to look like the "big man".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

leaveiton wrote: »

I'm gonna be bitchy during the exams and avoid all my friends before and after, because they're the type that panic beforehand, and dissect afterwards. I think I'd have a nervous breakdown. I can be friends again at the end!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

in all fairness..... I think its unbelieveable how easily people are annoyed like :D ... just sayin :p

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

I did my LC a few years ago now at this stage but I remember we were sitting in a classroom at the very end of the school with the windows wide open as it was so hot (typical exam weather).

There is an estate right next to the school and someone was mowing their lawn for around an hour during maths paper 2. Really distracting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Someone started snoring in my mocks.. It was horrible, it took a teacher ages to wake the poor chap >_>

Seriously? Our teachers that were supervising the mocks were the worst. Constant gossiping up the front was SO distracting!
    The external supervisors should be more professional though and I'm sure there are strict codes of practice for how to deal with anyone who disrupts an exam.

That happened in my mocks. It is really really annoying.

And one of the teachers used to pace the hall in high heels, making a load of noise and she would also manage to miss the people who wanted a new booklet.

But as you say, the official supervisors should be okay.

Advertisement