Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 months to run a marathon?

• 03-06-2011 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hello.

Basically-I quit smoking about 4 weeks ago. I'm in Melbourne until xmas and there is a marathon here 9th October....

I am not fit. I cannot run for over 15 minutes without stopping. I'm not overweight-BMI of 24 which is close though. I have plenty of motivation but I am addicted to sweet stuff and tend to binge eat crap. Don't drink that much-odd session but naut serious-like!

Can a sub 4 hour be trained for in the 4 months or should I just focus on completing it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

A common question, the most common answer is don't do it. You might get around, you might even surprise us all and do sub 4. More likely however is that you'll either get injured in the training (you have no running base) or you'll suffer like hell and never do another one.

There are marathons on all the time, why do you have to do this one? A better plan would be to get in the habit of running - do a 5k/10 over the summer, maybe a half marathon later in the year and go for the marathon when you're ready to start the training. You only get 1 debut marathon - you should enjoy it!

Advertisement