Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

" Respect the people, Respect everybody"

• 03-06-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Found this video on youtube there.

In the final, my friend and I decided to stage a pro wrestling match in the comp. We have faught each other everyday for the last 5.5 years since we train together, so instead of a boring fake BJJ match, we did a AWESOME Pro Wrestling match.

The crowd was very pleased with our performance, the judges and coaches were not.

We were disqualified from the match, and the whole comp (we also entered the open weight class). I didnt get a match, and didnt get a refund.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

this is great:)

chris and darragh did this before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBkEZdI583A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

fully support referees decision

fully support referees decision

Yeah actually it looked like a big enough competition, different if it was the finals in a local comp against your bast mate.

Pretty sure choke slams aren't allowed in BJJ either.

Still pretty funny though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Anyone who closes out a division should be disqualified, IMO.

da-bres wrote: »
    competition, different if it was the finals in a local comp against your bast mate.

why? why not at least treat it like a competitive roll in the gym.

• Advertisement

I personally wouldn't do it as I would rather do just that,

But I can see why two mates in the final would rather have some fun than fight each other. and from a spectators view, it is a bit of comedy:)

Can you see the fun side of it?? of course you can, your just winding me up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Becos ju gotch to repreesen ju hacademie so we preten eez teamy esportchie. Ju make for you bradda lose, professor looky badj. Undastan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Whatever about respect and all that, in a competition where you have guys trying to choke each other and break each others limbs, I think you have to take a zero tolerance stance to cod-acting whatever form it takes.

Clive wrote: »
    Becos ju gotch to repreesen ju hacademie so we preten eez teamy esportchie. Ju make for you bradda lose, professor looky badj. Undastan?

exactly, sometimes i think the lads are eating too many acai berries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Disliked the video

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Whatever about respect and all that, in a competition where you have guys trying to choke each other and break each others limbs, I think you have to take a zero tolerance stance to cod-acting whatever form it takes.

Tbh I've never seen it happen on a Judo mat and I'd be disgusted if I did.

Good call on the DQ... Pair of saps.

Was that a competition?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Both videos seem very disrespectful, it's as if they don't care about the competition and the people who went through the trouble to organize and officiate it.

Good call on the DQ... Pair of saps.

I have, friends of mine did it when they had to fight off in a bronze medal fight. Did a big pretend throw and the judges/refs staff kicked up a fuss.

I have, friends of mine did it when they had to fight off in a bronze medal fight. Did a big pretend throw and the judges/refs staff kicked up a fuss.

Rightly so and I'm glad to hear it.

Imagine coaching a few younger lads or lower grades through a comp and they see someone getting away with pulling that stunt?.

Genuinely now, I'd be sickened...

And to think we give Krav Maga threads a hard time here for playing make believe!.

Thankfully I've never seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Lighten up people - they're just buzzin'.

Are you a competitor?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

If I was in the ref's shoes I'd make the same call, but I'd still secretly find it funny. You can't be seen to allow horse-acting to go ahead with impunity, but I can't help but find it a little funny.

This...

And this... five minutes earlier.

Lead me to believe that your acting the sack here..

One more not in keeping with the discussion and I'll perma-ban you from this forum.

If you want "buzzin" take it over to the pro-wrestling people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

You can understand two mates having a bitto fun in a grappling match as ive done too in the past. But I still competed to win the match and not act the muppet. Just tend to try out the crazy sh!t and have fun. Thats what the sports about to me at the end of the day. But the bollocks in that video isnt the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Are you a competitor?.

Yes, I compete in no-gi sub tournaments.

My point is that the lads were messing around, they got DQd for their efforts - so how does it affect anyone else? It makes no odds. It's not as if either of them advanced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

_oveless wrote: »
    Both videos seem very disrespectful, it's as if they don't care about the competition and the people who went through the trouble to organize and officiate it.

The organiser of that comp is in the ring refereeing and he seems to be having the craic...

I dunno I'm very new to this whole Jiu-Jitsu game but I'd want to go against a training partner in a competitive match up. But that's mostly cos I'm sh*t and would get spanked...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tysonslovechild

In fairness it was only a bit of crack, and as forrest said neither advanced so didnt affect anyone else, plus the crowd seemed to like it. No harm done to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Imagine coaching a few younger lads or lower grades through a comp and they see someone getting away with pulling that stunt?
    My point is that the lads were messing around, they got DQd for their efforts - so how does it affect anyone else? It makes no odds. It's not as if either of them advanced.

Your question was answered earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Why enter the same division? If I have two fighters same weight, I get the more experienced to move up a weight division, just as I was in my day, that way you dont waste your time competing against someone you can spar with any day of the week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I can't deny I got a chuckle out of the vids but nonetheless it's not right. Either fight to win or don't fight at all.
    I don't think you could say there was no harm done either. If I saw this being allowed in a comp I would be reluctant to enter that comp the next year. If I saw this behaviour being rewarded I would think less of the whole game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Just re: the second video at my tournament. I didn't feel disrespected or violated at all. And I don't think it devalued the tournament. It was a bit of fun at a small tournament. If it was a larger one with more at stake I would have disqualified both guys but it wasn't.

I also hate bracket closing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I don't really see the laugh that other people are getting? Yeah in training mess around all ya want, but if its a serious competition, don't fcuk around. If you really don't want to fight your partner then don't do it, forefit the match.

People have trained and paid for the comp, so the other fighters should be respected, as the ref says.

wearing a blue tshirt there ... :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

What does bracket closing mean?

The guys from a gym won't fight each other and decide beforehand who will "win" if they get matched up. If the gym has enough guys, they have a good chance of meddling and getting a guy into the finals much fresher than his competitor who had to fight all the way there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Two guys meet in the final and come to a gentlemans agreement as to who wins, sometimes rock/paper/scissors. It' often happens when team mates meet in the final but particularly with the big teams like Alliance and Atos. Gui Mendes and Ary Farias closed there bracket at the Mundials on Sunday with Gui taking gold and Ary silver.

Persoanlly i hate it.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Two guys meet in the final and come to a gentlemans agreement as to who wins, sometimes rock/paper/scissors. It' often happens when team mates meet in the final but particularly with the big teams like Alliance and Atos. Gui Mendes and Ary Farias closed there bracket at the Mundials on Sunday with Gui taking gold and Ary silver.

Persoanlly i hate it.

Sounds more like those Pro Wrestling clowns.

Today, I am disgusted.

Today, I am disgusted.
    What happened?

• Advertisement

What happened?

Stupid carry on thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Stupid carry on thats all.

Something like this happen at the grading? Care to elaborate?

nobbo wrote: »
    Something like this happen at the grading? Care to elaborate?

Nope, 'cause there ain't a thing I can prove.

But I'm an honest bloke and I said in the thread I've never seen someone act the sack, well now I did and just wanted to put that straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

I'm definitely not a fan of having fake matches. Even myself and my brother ended up in a final and we were asked whether we wanted to fight?! Both of us didn't even blink, we just said hell yeah and we both went at it just like we would against anyone else! The same crap happens in MMA with team mates not fighting each other, it's a sport at the end of the day and although we train with a team and are loyal to that team, it's an individual sport.

I can understand Darragh and Chris messing around as Darragh is his coach but I just couldn't do it, too competitive possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

I can understand Darragh and Chris messing around as Darragh is his coach but I just couldn't do it, too competitive possibly.

Yeah, Darragh's not competitive at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    Yeah, Darragh's not competitive at all.

Didn't say Darragh wasn't competitive, he clearly wouldn't want to fight a student in a comp. In fairness, that fight wouldn't be much of a competition for Darragh!

Sickening stuff.

Advertisement