Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't believe I was SOOOO stupid!!!

• 03-06-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Normally when the weather is this hot I keep my dog inside, ie no walks, apart from early in the morning and late in the evening, this afternoon I took him and our foster dog over to one of our fields where husband was making sileage or something farm-y for a run around, chasing the crows, they had a great time but of course it was way too hot, he got way overheated and as if that wasn't stupid enough of me, I then let him drink too much water before I took him home, he was fine for about an hour, ate his dinner, wasn't panting, just went to sleep next to me on the sofa as usual, next thing he got up and went to the door and started screeching and crying, I let him out and he did the longest pee in history (crying all the while), then walked round the garden slowly (I was trying to get him back inside), pee'ed a couple more times, came in and lay in the hall panting, I phoned my husband to come back and we phoned the vet who said (as I suspected) it sounded like heatstroke, he said keep him inside, put water in front of him and just keep an eye. This was about 4.30 and the surgery was at 5.15, however I'm too scared to put him into the car because it's still so hot outside, he actually seems fine now, he's not panting, he can walk ok, he is alert, he is cool to the touch, paw pads, nose etc, he just ate a small biscuit I gave him now he's on his bed snoozing. I'm going to monitor him for the next couple of hours and when it's cooled down maybe take him to the vets later or if need be, call the vet out.

Just so bloody pissed off at myself for being so damn stupid and letting him run round like a mad thing in the afternoon heat. Lesson well and truly learned and hopefully no long term damage to my pooch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Were only human, dont be so hard on yourself! You handled the situation after and im sure he will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks for that, I'm still kicking myself though, if there's any long term damage I will never forgive myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

We all make mistakes. The weather hasn't been great, so its not unusual for people to allow their dogs to overheat when suddenly it gets so warm.

Hopefully he'll be fine, he sounds like he will. Stop beating yourself up:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I agree with the other please don't beat yourself up about this, you sound like a loving responsible owner who just made a mistake and its easily done, you'd be surprised how many dogs i've seen out today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Really, don't beat yourself up about it. I didn't even know dogs could get heat stroke but thanks to your story making me aware of the risk I'll be definetly keeping it in mind for my pup in this hot weather.
    You handled the problem brilliantly- calling the vet and I've no doubt that you're taking fantastic care of him x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ah, thanks for all your kind words everyone. The patient seems fine, pretty much back to normal but I am still monitoring him, our fostering dog is currently giving him lots of sloppy kisses whilst he relaxes on his bed, enjoying all the extra attention!!

Advertisement