Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome and mobile broadband/internet

• 03-06-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,
    We're just about to take delivery of our new (to us) motorhome in the next few days and although we have been caravanning for a few years this will be a whole new experience for us. We would like to keep up to date with our email and other internet matters while we are away (something we didn't bother with in the caravan) and I'm wondering which provider is best.
    We won't be downloading files (other than web pages and emails) and we could be using it in any location in the Republic. It will be a laptop and usb modem setup. Has anyone any experience of the various providers and any suggestions as to who might be best. The main priority would be coverage. Speed obviously is important but coverage more so.
    Any help in coming to a decision would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

what about an iphone(or something similar)?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Kilree

meercat wrote: »
    what about an iphone(or something similar)?

Thanks for the response Meercat. We would only want to use the laptop when out and about as I have full broadband at home. Since we both have fairly basic mobile phones I wanted to look at the cheaper alternative of buying a USB thingy and plugging it into the laptop and then paying as we go. Getting involved with new contracts etc for iphone doesn't appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 hi.im.fred

Meteor or Three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

no worries
    but the benefit of having a mobile that you can check the net
    and emails from really are great
    now i dont work for o2 but €35 per month inclusive with data seems reasonable enough(buy phone €19)
    its a contract though
    http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/plans/index.php?cat=1

it also saves bringing a laptop around in your motorhome
    and most mc Donalds have free wifi and some campsites too
    its worth considering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Also if you got an Android powered phone you can tether the signal, meaning you could use your phone as a wireless network which would allow your laptop to connect to it and surf the net through the phones data package.

You'll need Android 2.2 or above, as it comes with tethering functionality. Anything below 2.2 and you'll have to root the phone to get tethering going which can get tricky with some phones...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I do all my interweb using a "3" , or Three3 wireless broadband router , costs me 20 euro a month , and I have brought it on tour with me... At the mayo rally I was doing Twitter updates from the end of a stage! I just powered it from an inverter . An I can watch most Youtube videos without much problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

i have used 3 any time i am on the road it works most places but like your phone there are some dead spots i am using it now in mountshannon clare at the waters edge lough derg 9 euros low usage a month 19 euros per month better speeds and some down load i am happy with it . lots of cafe some filling stations and camp sites have wifi happy camping

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Kilree

Thanks for all the input guys. I will definitely take a look at the "3" and Meteor offerings in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

if your looking at 3 go for the national broadband option as its supposed to be min of 1.2 bits a sec, as far as i know they are a lot more serious on keeping national broadband customers happy because the national part is funded by our government;)
    when i was an ordinary "3" customer and ring with a problem you'd get the same auld story with a lad from bangelore with an atttitude telling you to empty this box click that box etc etc with a snotty tone,
    but when you ring as a national broadband customer its a different story, its yes sir no sir three bags full,

all the above is just my experience mind:D
    happy camping in your new purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

I bring the laptop in the camper all the time and I am happy to wait until I am near free wireless connections. However, if I wanted access at any time then I would have to go the route you are considering.
    Woodlands Campsite in Tralee offer free wifi and no doubt others will come on board with this in the future.
    Maybe you could try this way before committing to a monthly payment, especially since you have broadband at home.
    Best of luck with the new lifestyle anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Kilree
    You don't say who your home broadband provider is but if you are with Eircom, they have hundreds of wifi hotspots around the country in places like phoneboxes and cafes that are included in the cost of your broadband. Along with other free wifi hotspots in places like McDonalds etc this should give you all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

if you have a sat dish digiweb have a new product which looks cool, you used to need a dial up line for sat broadband.

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/tooway/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭tphase

duckysauce wrote: »
    if you have a sat dish digiweb have a new product which looks cool, you used to need a dial up line for sat broadband.
    not quite true - you used to need dialup for some of the cheaper satellite products but not all.
    Anyway, satellite should be a last resort and definitely keep away from Digiweb - an awful shower to deal with. Had to use them for a while when they were the only option for "high-speed" network access in the arse-end of Connemara but would have been better off on dialup.
    Kilree - personally I use an android phone for network access when I'm travelling and leave the laptop at home but I can understand that you don't want to get into new contracts etc. If you have a suitable Nokia phone, you could install JoikuSpot http://www.joiku.com/, turn your phone into a wifi hotspot, and just get a one-off data add-on to your phone package every time you travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mc_attack

Hi Kilree

It seems the best solution for you would be a Mifi unit. this is something that holds a data sim card and broadcasts wifi signal to 5 devices.It is smaller tahn a mobile phone and can be charged from the cigarette lighter in the camper. Obviously it is based on the mobile network so depends on where you are. I have used one for the last year or so, and it has been seldom that there is not full 3g reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 norma.h

Hi,
    we got an O2 dongle when we were travelling in Ireland and were impressed with coverage and speed. We went from Cork up to Galway and across....
    Norma

Advertisement