Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomb Raider (reboot)

Options
  • 03-06-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

The trailer is finally here, folks. I'm a fairly big Lara fan, so I've been waiting to see something more than just some screenshots for what feels like forever now. Here's the trailer; no gameplay, but some stunning graphics!
    http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6316887/?tag=topslot;thumb;3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

It looks good, IMO. Thought it was funny to see her using what looked like an iPhone, considering if she's younger than when TR came out (isn't it supposed to be the thing that brought her into the world of TR'ing, or something?), it'd be set in 90s or earlier...

Also thought it was weird they used the same under-the-water view/scene when before the guy pulled her out of the water, and when she fell into the sea/ocean.

Gameplay videos would have been nicer, though :/.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm guessing it's a comtempaty retelling. So it would be how it would be if Lara was young today, so the iphone thing works.
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing some gameplay. For some reason, I've got this fear that it'll be all RPGish because Square Enix have their name to it. I'm hoping this is not the case, and it still feels like a Tomb Raider game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Ive being a fan of tomb raider games since the first on on ps1, played them all except the angel of darkness one on ps2, this looks fantastic even though ive seen nothing of the game bar few screenshots, i love where they are taking her journey and i think its the perfect time for a reboot. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Looking forward to this, loved the classic TR games and the sounds of this with open world-ish gameplay and trying to survive the island and aquire new equipment is right up my alley.

And I think it was a portable TV, looked a bit too bricky for an iPod or such. Also fits close to the original TR timeline too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I said years ago that TR would be great if Crysta Dynamics got it (having seen their work on SoulReaver)

I haven't been proven wrong. Their Tomb Raider games are the only ones I've enjoyed so I am looking forward to this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That was a stunning trailer. I have high hopes for this game.
    Still over a year away though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Superb trailer, hope the game lives up,although the last few TR games have been quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

High hopes for this too. Crystal D have done a great job of resurrecting the series. If they can add an involving plot which really makes people buy into this character, to the same TR gameplay, this could be great.

krudler wrote: »
    Superb trailer, hope the game lives up,although the last few TR games have been quite good.

I agree. I wasn't crazy about Underworld, but Legend and Anniversary were great games. Hopefully adding an open world (which seems to be the word on the street about this one) to that flavour of play will really pay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

deathrider wrote: »
    I agree. I wasn't crazy about Underworld, but Legend and Anniversary were great games. Hopefully adding an open world (which seems to be the word on the street about this one) to that flavour of play will really pay off.

i loved underworld never finished it though i should go back to it one of these days , ackward camera problems though stopped me from playing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Excellent video, and with CD making it it should be a savage game, again. I want them to bring this out sooner, not so i can play it (which i do want to do), but so they can get back to work on Soul Reaver :D

Oh, and nice cleavage shot too! :D

Excellent video, and with CD making it it should be a savage game, again. I want them to bring this out sooner, not so i can play it (which i do want to do), but so they can get back to work on Soul Reaver :D

Oh, and nice cleavage shot too! :D

Are they making another Soul Reaver?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I have it on good authority that its going to include a 'drink your own piss' minigame.

Are they making another Soul Reaver?

[off-topic] Not that i know of, but i'll constantly be hoping that they will, or maybe a HD remake of the first 5 to keep me tied over for a while. With all the remakes and re-imaginings going on, Crystal Dynamics would be completely bonkers not to re-release the series in HD glory, and make new games based on it. It'll sell itself as long as they don't make it a shooter/rpg and keep it as a solid, involving, excellently voiced action/adventure. [/off-topic]

Asmodean wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that its going to include a 'drink your own piss' minigame.

Eeeeeww, eeeeew, and eeeew some more.
    [off-topic] Not that i know of, but i'll constantly be hoping that they will, or maybe a HD remake of the first 5 to keep me tied over for a while. With all the remakes and re-imaginings going on, Crystal Dynamics would be completely bonkers not to re-release the series in HD glory, and make new games based on it. It'll sell itself as long as they don't make it a shooter/rpg and keep it as a solid, involving, excellently voiced action/adventure. [/off-topic]

Aw, I kinda had my hopes up there. Yip a re-release would do enough to keep me entertained anyways :)

Trailers like Dead Island and this one show you exactly how far computer gaming has come in recent years, with near photo-realistic quality and emotion.

Trailers like Dead Island and this one show you exactly how far computer gaming has come in recent years, with near photo-realistic quality and emotion.

I'm just hoping that this one doesn't go the same way as Dead Island though. Dead Island's trailer blew me away, but when I actually saw some gameplay footage, I was very dissappointed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The main writer behind the Kain/SR games left crystal dynamics a while back so so if there was a reboot/reworking of it , it probably wouldn't be as good.
    I'd love to see a psn/xbl HD version of the original, the PS version of it downloadable from PSN (sadly the US PSN only though).
    I managed to have all 5 games spread accross 5 different platforms (PS1,DC,PC,GC,ps2) so a single source one would be great :)

I'm just hoping that this one doesn't go the same way as Dead Island though. Dead Island's trailer blew me away, but when I actually saw some gameplay footage, I was very dissappointed.

I still think the Dead Island gameplay looked excellent, but I'm trying to not prejudge it until I play it for myself.

I still think the Dead Island gameplay looked excellent, but I'm trying to not prejudge it until I play it for myself.

I think it looks so so at best. Mind you, I could be wrong. It could be great fun to play.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see a psn/xbl HD version of the original, the PS version of it downloadable from PSN (sadly the US PSN only though).

Just checked there and you can download Soul Reaver from the PS Store, unless you were referring to the original LoK game, in which case, no, it's not there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Just checked there and you can download Soul Reaver from the PS Store, unless you were referring to the original LoK game, in which case, no, it's not there.
    sorry , when I said original I meant Legacy of Kain as opposed to Soul Reaver,probably should have specified!
    Yeah you can download LOK from the US PSN store (theres a shedload more PS games there for some reason), but not our one.

Imissed this bit at E3 myself. So all I know is what I've read here http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6317210/e3-2011-tomb-raider-first-impressions-preview?tag=topslot;thumb;2

Has anyone got a video of this? If so, could you please post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Gameplay video here:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/microsoft-shows-tomb-raider-footage

Its a bit grainy, but does a good job of making me want this game. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

there was no emotion in the dead island trailer in terms of visuals

it all came from the accompanying music

Mr E wrote: »
    Gameplay video here:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/microsoft-shows-tomb-raider-footage

Its a bit grainy, but does a good job of making me want this game. :)

You, sir, are a legend!
    There is no shortage of intensity and claustrophobia in that clip. This looks absolutely fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭GamesDontSuck

Your vid is blocked there, mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭GamesDontSuck

Stupid Square Enix :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Is it the same trailer that's in the first post from this thread?

Advertisement