Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomb Raider (reboot)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Hahaha, oh man, did I speak too soon. What's that, a man is about to brutally throttle you to death? Well don't worry, here is an ambiguous red icon with a exclamation point in it! What, you didn't know that that meant "Press the F key?" Fool. Right, well, now here is a symbol of a red hand. It should be obvious what that means, but you'll get shot in the face again and again if you don't know.

I just mashed all the buttons at that point. That's probably one of the most moronic moments I've ever seen in a game. They're seeming super-fond of these quicktime events. Worst gaming convention ever.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Sounds like a glitch or the button prompts got disabled in the options.

I got prompted to use the correct keys every time there was a QTE, although it does require precise timing which took me a little while to figure out. The use of arrow keys was a poor choice too.

I remember Dead Space 2 had issues where the QTE's prompts would not appear for some users if they had v-sync enabled.

Make sure to get the latest nvidia beta driver if your using one of there GPU's. Also disable exclusive fullscreen whatever the hell that is, its causes crashes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭recyclops

finished it 100% last night throughly enjoyed the game, hopefully for a bit of DLC for single player as i have 0 interest in multiplayer on it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A few days after trading it in, I snapped up a Survivor Edition in Dublin last Friday. Had to get the figure :D

Will put the tin, map, dlc codes and book on adverts later. Traded the game in for 50 off GOW Judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

recyclops wrote: »
    finished it 100% last night throughly enjoyed the game, hopefully for a bit of DLC for single player as i have 0 interest in multiplayer on it

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/03/20/no-single-player-dlc-planned-for-tomb-raider

Agreed on the multiplayer, can't understand why they tack on multiplayer to games that are primarily single player like resident evil and max payne etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/03/20/no-single-player-dlc-planned-for-tomb-raider

Agreed on the multiplayer, can't understand why they tack on multiplayer to games that are primarily single player like resident evil and max payne etc.

Sucks there is no single player DLC planned as I would have liked to spend more time on that island. I finished it with around 75% completion but that was enough to take me through to the completion of the single player game. The only extras I actively searched out was the Tombs but I didn't feel there was enough of them so would have liked a DLC to add more.

As for mulitplayer in a single player oriented game, it's something I'll never understand and 9 times out of 10 feels tacked on at the end. It also takes away from the updates etc being given to the single player portion. Prime examples in my opinion being this game, Spec Ops The Line, Far Cry 3 to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Had to get the figure :D

Mwahaha. Hope it's living up to your expectations!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Sucks there is no single player DLC planned as I would have liked to spend more time on that island. I finished it with around 75% completion but that was enough to take me through to the completion of the single player game. The only extras I actively searched out was the Tombs but I didn't feel there was enough of them so would have liked a DLC to add more.

As for mulitplayer in a single player oriented game, it's something I'll never understand and 9 times out of 10 feels tacked on at the end. It also takes away from the updates etc being given to the single player portion. Prime examples in my opinion being this game, Spec Ops The Line, Far Cry 3 to name a few.

I've loved Far Cry 3 co-op. Still playing it. Did try the MP for FC3 and Tomb Raider but neither seemed great.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Really enjoying this. When I first played this on PC I thought it wasn't great. Hooked it up to my projector and got a controller working for it and all of a sudden it's amazing! Very much a console/controllery type game.

Keyboard and mouse have served me perfectly fine so far. I can only imagine a controller have the opposite affect for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RaZzZz

I prefer to use keyboard and Mouse for most games, but this.. I feel that the controller works best, far more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I've loved Far Cry 3 co-op. Still playing it. Did try the MP for FC3 and Tomb Raider but neither seemed great.

Ah co-op is another story altogether. I make time for any game that includes a half decent co-op system especially local co-op. I did quite enjoy Far Cry 3 version as well... though the full game/island in co-op would have been awesome.
    Azza wrote: »
    Keyboard and mouse have served me perfectly fine so far. I can only imagine a controller have the opposite affect for me.

For me this is game that needs to be played with a controller. Not sure why but anytime I play a 3rd person game I nearly always use a controller, an recent example would be the batman arkham series. That being said my aiming in this game was still fairly horrible with the controller - thank god for aim assist!

For me this is game that needs to be played with a controller. Not sure why but anytime I play a 3rd person game I nearly always use a controller, an recent example would be the batman arkham series. That being said my aiming in this game was still fairly horrible with the controller - thank god for aim assist!

Well each to there own I guess. I can't see any benefits of using a controller in this game, other than a placebo. Mouse and keyboard controlls are well implemented and responsive. Camera tracks fine when moving the mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Azza wrote: »
    Well each to there own I guess. I can't see any benefits of using a controller in this game, other than a placebo. Mouse and keyboard controlls are well implemented and responsive. Camera tracks fine when moving the mouse.

For me the mouse is the only benefit over the controller, having a free aim that's responsive, but it totally doesn't make up for how cumbersome it is to play on a keyboard. You need analog for the sneaky/action parts. Feels so much more fluid with a PS3 controller. :) Also the quicktime events work nicely with the controller. Defo get a feeling the game was designed for a controller rather than a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RaZzZz

hear hear, the keyboard just doesn't work for me with this game at all, especially those sneaky moments in the game, a controller is a must IMO ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

can someone who has completed this game please answer this for me:
    I'm just after finishing the part where Lara falls downstream in a river and then she paraglides until she lands and she is wounded (I think the section after she lands that I am about to start is called Shanty town) - how far into the game would you say I am? 40%? Halfways? More or less than that?

Thanks ;)

I'd say about 40% is about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

This is down to 40 quid in gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Just finished this last night. I've never played Uncharted games so this was an absolute cracker for me. Really loved it from start to finish. It'll be up there with the best of the year I think.

Now to trade it in and get Bioshock. Anyone any inkling of the trade in prices at the moment?

30 quid in gamestop and symths(trade in)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm about an hour into this game and so far I'm finding it really good. The best part so far has to be the bow and arrow. I just got a gun but as soon as I was allowed to use the bow again I went straight back to it.

I'm sure it has been talked to death already but it is very jarring how quickly Lara becomes a killing machine. The first time that you kill a guy it is pretty well handled I felt. I assumed then that I wouldn't be killing everything that moved, or at least the killing would be spread out. Nope. The very next minutes I'm popping out from cover with headshots to two, three and four guys. It plays very well but having just set it up that Lara is horrified at killing it seems strange. Its only a small complaint because I don't have the answer. I wouldn't want to play a stealth version of this game, spending the entire game avoiding conflict. That to me would be boring.

Looking forward to getting further into the game over the long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hey guys, I'm about 1/3 through the game. Really enjoying it!
    (The rescue team's plane just got struck by lightning and the crashed/surviving co-pilot has ignited a blue distress flare over the other side of the island)
    I need some advice concerning upgrades. I'm worried that I'm pumping salvage points into a gun that will be rendered useless when another gun comes along.
    I don't like the assault rifle, it sprays everywhere! 1. What should I be spending my salvage upgrade on? 2. Also do I get another bow or upgrade this one? 3. Is melee upgrades worth it? 4. Also I wanna plonk around old sites for more loot but what gear should I wait for before going back - got the rope arrows recently and the ability to start a torch fire yourself.

Cheers guys

If you put enough skill points into upgrading your salvaging ability, you shouldn't need to be choosy. I ended up with tons of salvage I didn't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm about 1/3 through the game. Really enjoying it!
    (The rescue team's plane just got struck by lightning and the crashed/surviving co-pilot has ignited a blue distress flare over the other side of the island)
    I need some advice concerning upgrades. I'm worried that I'm pumping salvage points into a gun that will be rendered useless when another gun comes along.
    I don't like the assault rifle, it sprays everywhere! 1. What should I be spending my salvage upgrade on? 2. Also do I get another bow or upgrade this one? 3. Is melee upgrades worth it? 4. Also I wanna plonk around old sites for more loot but what gear should I wait for before going back - got the rope arrows recently and the ability to start a torch fire yourself.

Cheers guys
    The attachments bought for one assault rifle will go towards the next rifle you get.I didnt really buy the melee skills till later in the game but you should get 1 or 2 as soon as you have acess to them.As for upgrading i did the bow first and then the pistol.Wasnt too bothered about the shotgun and rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Thanks! Do upgrades to the initial gun go towards the next gun (if there is one, hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Just about to complete it a second time, on hard. Really enjoyable, compact experience. So nice to spend 10-12 hours on a very well polished linear game sometimes when you mostly sink dozens of hours into stuff you never think you'll see the end of.

I rarely buy DLC but if they had opened up a new part of the island with new tombs, I would have got it! Pity.

Dont know what the supposed sales numbers failure will result in when it comes to the sequel. I'd hope it would be less combat and more exploring. Bigger more complex tombs and lots of more of that excellent ice pick climbing would be great, but I have a feeling its going to be Gears of War meets Lara Croft somehow :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Thanks! Do upgrades to the initial gun go towards the next gun (if there is one, hopefully).
    Yes they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I am playing this at the moment, got to the point of no return and decided to go back and get all the stuff before I finished it.

I was on 88% completed but when I went to continue my game froze and now it won't load past the load screen.

I had my save on the cloud (xbox) so I transfered it to the hard drive but it still won't load. I also got rid of the new update but this didn't work either.

Luckily I had another save which was 69% finishished so I am playing that but I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, or if it did how did they fix it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭recyclops

it happened to my mate he had to install on the hard drive everytime he wanted to load the game again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Will try this later, thanks.

Advertisement