Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomb Raider (reboot)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Excellent so far! You know the devs are doing something right when I choose the bow over guns anyday. Far Cry 3 nailed that one as well. The detective survival mode is really unneccessary though. It does suffer the same Uncharted dumbness of 'can't solve the puzzle in 10 seconds? hero will give verbal hint'.

The island is class, looking forward to spending more quality time on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm quite pleased I got the "I'm all that" achievement/trophy legit in multiplayer :)

For all my reservations ...... it's totally tacked on and unnecessary but it's far from being as bad as expected but lacking the co-op Far Cry 3 had would have been interested in seeing that.

It feels like other games in single player but it reminds me that those other games felt like the PS one tomb raiders with added hand holding. Would have loved less of the hand holding and to be left to figure it out for myself .......alas games these days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anybody finding it bit glitchy? I've played maybe 30-45 minutes and I've had to reload checkpoints 2 or 3 times already because of glitches.

The first is
    while climbing the crashed plane near where you get out of the caves near the start. While I was climbing, the game froze and music kept skipping but I could press start so I reloaded the checkpoint and I was down on the other side of the plane then.

The second is
    When you climb down into the tunnels following the sound of the music. I try to pull the pick axe out of the meat and Lara lies horizontal in mid air. I reload the checkpoint and a cutscene starts showing here pull it out herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm playing on PC and haven't had any major glitches. A few times her hair disappeared, which was creepy.

I'm really enjoying it. It looks great and the map is very well laid out. The hand-holding at every point in the game is annoying, but I can live with it. I also don't mind the "I'm innocent and don't want to kill" change into "I'm committing genocide and loving it" Lara. Mostly because the amount of killing Lara has done in the previous games has lead me to believe she's a psychopath, so she may only have realised it after her first kill. In fact, the whole game might be a psychotic episode. All those people are just tourists, being massacred by this insane lunatic. Or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

humanji wrote: »
    I'm playing on PC and haven't had any major glitches. A few times her hair disappeared, which was creepy.

I'm really enjoying it. It looks great and the map is very well laid out. The hand-holding at every point in the game is annoying, but I can live with it. I also don't mind the "I'm innocent and don't want to kill" change into "I'm committing genocide and loving it" Lara. Mostly because the amount of killing Lara has done in the previous games has lead me to believe she's a psychopath, so she may only have realised it after her first kill. In fact, the whole game might be a psychotic episode. All those people are just tourists, being massacred by this insane lunatic. Or maybe not.

Lara: Madness Returns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

humanji wrote: »

Those animals you're skinning aren't animals at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Loving this so far. Particularly the climbing,alot more fluid than AC3 imo. Never played a Tomb Raider game before but this is very enjoyable so far.Lots of action and adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RaZzZz

I can't wait to get home and play the game now, I have a beefy PC to run this game on High so I hope the graphics are indeed as good as some people are saying, I see the game has DD sound, I really hope there's a proper 5.1 surround in this game, it'll be a joy to play with fantastic graphics/sound.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

For those that are unsure about buying it I am doing a Single Player play through series on YouTube. This is part 1:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Got this in the gamestop trade in deal(bye,bye Resi 6) just now, looking forward to playing it later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

RaZzZz wrote: »
    I can't wait to get home and play the game now, I have a beefy PC to run this game on High so I hope the graphics are indeed as good as some people are saying, I see the game has DD sound, I really hope there's a proper 5.1 surround in this game, it'll be a joy to play with fantastic graphics/sound.

Just incase people are interested this game comes with DTS on the ps3 but you have to configure your ps3 to only output to DTS otherwise it will pick the DD track evrytime its very weird mass effect3 was like this aswell

Xbox 360 as far as im aware does not come with DTS must be to safe the disk space

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Would it be better to play this on something higher than normal difficulty. Is it too easy otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Roll on payday, can't wait to get this!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Just got it, about to play my first Tomb Raider game in about 10-12 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RaZzZz

Lucky! I'll be home in two hours.. the time seriously passes by slowly when waiting on something.. specifically games!

DTS would be fantastic if it's available on the PC version, ah sure, NEO NTS will do the job is not ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

miralize wrote: »
    Just got it, about to play my first Tomb Raider game in about 10-12 years!
    Ditto! just bought it myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

Not a fan to be honest. I think GTAV will be my last game of this era, and even that seems far away / too close to launch of next gen.

RaZzZz wrote: »
    Lucky! I'll be home in two hours.. the time seriously passes by slowly when waiting on something.. specifically games!

DTS would be fantastic if it's available on the PC version, ah sure, NEO NTS will do the job is not ^^

True but then when you play the game the time flys by aswell i think im at the halfway point now :( dont want it to end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

So, I am really loving this. Its a very different from an uncharted game, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Anybody who has played a good chunk of this, I have a question about the combat.

I liked Uncharted alot but the enemies being bullet sponges really, really annoyed me. When I shoot a guy twice in the chest, he should go down. In Uncharted, I often emptied a clip into the guy and he would be still standing. This is a random bad guy not John McClane.

So, is this the same? Bullet sponges? Or do they go down when shot. Thanks in advance. :)

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Anybody who has played a good chunk of this, I have a question about the combat.

I liked Uncharted alot but the enemies being bullet sponges really, really annoyed me. When I shoot a guy twice in the chest, he should go down. In Uncharted, I often emptied a clip into the guy and he would be still standing. This is a random bad guy not John McClane.

So, is this the same? Bullet sponges? Or do they go down when shot. Thanks in advance. :)

Dont know about anybody else but iv been using the arrow alot lol head shots mostly its so good laras a total pyscho lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't think the enemies are as much bullet sponges as the uncharted games. Although the bow is supreme :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Absolutely loving this game. one of the few AAA titles I don't need to worry about reviewing thanks to one of the other guys looking after it, but I've been enjoying it as much as anything in the past few years during the hour or 2 ive had to play it the occasional night for the last few weeks

lol playing it on pc, and first off, yeah it's very good. But..

the button mashing is really annoying, at one point about 20-30 minutes in where
    the Russian guys are shooting everyone and you have to escape while Lara's hands are bound, the Russian rapist guy - tap F to knee him in the bollocks, then bite his ear off with F, then shoot him, then spam A & D and F or E and then shoot him again..
    I've only got 4 fingers and thumb on each hand ffs.

That annoyed me to no end, hope there isn't a load of that sh1t going on is there?
    I can rebind the keys or use a ps3 controller and it probably wont be so bad but still, that scene ruined the immersion I was experiencing up until that point.

Anyway, if that's as bad as it gets it's a very minor complaint for a quality game.

Put a few hours into it over the past days and as much as I'm enjoying it the aiming is really off. Any time I want to shoot something I have to aim a little to the left to hit it, it's really annoying and I initially thought it was part of the game and something you could upgrade but it seems to be a known issue. Seems to me to be an issue that that the horizontal and vertical sensitivity don't match

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Brilliant reboot this is, and the game just looks stunning in 3D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Having trouble putting this gane down. They made her ass look amazing! :P

K, am stuck.

tried rebinding keys, cant use my ps3 pad as it's being used atm. It's quite early in the game, basically the second QTE instance you come across. Apparently i'm not the only one who's having massive difficulty in passing this. I frapsed a few attempts before i gave up completely. Some people are suggesting it's input lag from the keyboard and i'm inclined to agree.

Any suggestions?

video here to show you what i mean

Edit Update: turning off 'Exclusive fullscreen' and turning down graphics options to their lowest possible setting worked. Got it easily on my second try. Shame about the 50+ Lara's that got mauled before that :/ and it is apparently an issue with the game as i got that "fix" from their official forums, unofficially. Lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Paul1990

Can someone tell me if can you back to areas to explore?

I'm near the very beginning
    the woods where you kill the deer for meat
    and I found two out of the five GPS caches but I couldn't find any others in the area so I moved on.

Just wondering if I can go back later?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yes there is a fast travel feature.

Advertisement