Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomb Raider (reboot)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yeah you can fast travel from the camps./

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

2 quick things
    The standard voices for almost all the normal goons is standard english speaking american.

But the one that decides to try to rape lara... Oh he has to speak a different language *hmmm*

Also turning a rape attempt into a QTE event, gives me odd feelings when I keep failing it over and over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Ah it wasn't a rape attempt really. It went absolutely no further than a lad trying to get off with a bird in a club who has absolutely no interest. Completely blown out of all proportions

COYVB wrote: »
    Ah it wasn't a rape attempt really. It went absolutely no further than a lad trying to get off with a bird in a club who has absolutely no interest. Completely blown out of all proportions

do you bring your own rope to these clubs or can you buy them from a machine in the jax?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    do you bring your own rope to these clubs or can you buy them from a machine in the jax?

depends on the club tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Good game but looking very short if im as close to the end as i think i am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I seem to remember this being a huge thing around this time last year or E3 and then when this part happened I was reminded of it and was like "oh was that what the fuss was about"

Rape should not belittled by any means but if that was what the fuss was about last year then it was "Completely blown out of all proportions"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

:lol:

I didn`t mean the fact that she was tied up, I meant how "graphic" him "attempting to rape her" was. He felt her arse was about the extent of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

If you are a hardcore tomb raider fan then this will be a pile of junk.

I am near the end of it now and i have to say it is like holding hands with mammy when i was 2 years old, it's seriously dumbed down and there is too much shooting and i would say that this tomb raider game is not tomb raider as it's more like call of duty with a bow and arrow.

Mash Mash Mash with fingers falling off as this game is made for people with little intelligence of using their brain and is a total fail for a tomb raider game.

Good job i didn't purchase this game, as a friend gave up playing it quarter way through and loaned it to me and i can see why. 1/10 terrible as a tomb raider sequel indeed. It's the end of tomb raider if they keep this dumbed down on each new tomb raider release. Played all the other games and they were good but this is way too easy and boring. All the mystery of the previous tomb raider games is gone in this release unfortunately. Shoot to kill the bad guys etc...

zenno wrote: »
    If you are a hardcore tomb raider fan then this will be a pile of junk.

I am near the end of it now and i have to say it is like holding hands with mammy when i was 2 years old, it's seriously dumbed down and there is too much shooting and i would say that this tomb raider game is not tomb raider as it's more like call of duty with a bow and arrow.

Mash Mash Mash with fingers falling off as this game is made for people with little intelligence of using their brain and is a total fail for a tomb raider game.

Good job i didn't purchase this game, as a friend gave up playing it quarter way through and loaned it to me and i can see why. 1/10 terrible as a tomb raider sequel indeed. It's the end of tomb raider if they keep this dumbed down on each new tomb raider release. Played all the other games and they were good but this is way too easy and boring. All the mystery of the previous tomb raider games is gone in this release unfortunately. Shoot to kill the bad guys etc...

I would have preferred it to have been heavier on puzzles and for them to have been done like the old games, they pay token homage to them by way of the optional tombs and those are actually insulting to seasoned fans, I disagree with the guns part there I actually think they got that part right and it was fairly well balanced and fitted the game we were presented with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Always did this :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

calex71 wrote: »
    I would have preferred it to have been heavier on puzzles and for them to have been done like the old games, they pay token homage to them by way of the optional tombs and those are actually insulting to seasoned fans, I disagree with the guns part there I actually think they got that part right and it was fairly well balanced and fitted the game we were presented with.

This is what really wreaked this game as the whole point in all previous tomb raider games was the heaviness in tomb puzzles but they turned this game into a shooter.

The beauty of the original format of tomb raider was the mystery in solving puzzles and mysterious tombs and buildings which actually made you use your brain, but turning it into a main shooter is lazy and boring as there are too many shooters out there now as it is. Shame they ruined it all is all i can say because I personally was looking forward to their new game but this is just not tomb raider in any sense of the word.

Will be interesting how sales go with this one.

This is what really wreaked this game as the whole point in all previous tomb raider games was the heaviness in tomb puzzles but they turned this game into a shooter.

The beauty of the original format of tomb raider was the mystery in solving puzzles and mysterious tombs and buildings which actually made you use your brain, but turning it into a main shooter is lazy and boring as there are too many shooters out there now as it is. Shame they ruined it all is all i can say because I personally was looking forward to their new game but this is just not tomb raider in any sense of the word.

Well the last revelation it ain't in terms of the puzzles, but thats an issue with gaming as a whole these days not just tomb raider, like it or not this is where gaming is, as you could probably tell from earlier posts I would have preferred a no hints / let me figure it out approach but the way things are these days it was never going to happen, it doesn't sell and like i said it's a larger discussion but for me I rolled with it and over all I'm really enjoying it for what it is but then I didn't have any hopes or expectations for it

Edit: Now that I mention the last revelation (my favorite TR game), i seem to recall there actually being a larger selection of weaponry in that :D

:lol:

I didn`t mean the fact that she was tied up, I meant how "graphic" him "attempting to rape her" was. He felt her arse was about the extent of it

Yeah I agree that its not graphic, I'm not throwing a fuss over that, It was more of a lol moment for me that the character in this scene is the only *foreigner* it seems the bad guys have cause everyone else speaks perfect english in an american accent while I'm running around

(and before someone points it out, I know they speak english so they can be used to set up plot points gameplay mechanics etc easily for the player)

As for being uncomfortable with it being a QTE event, it was more that I am really hating the QTE mechanics in this game as a whole (pressing Y when the two lines meet is frustratingly fiddly.) and I was getting uncomfortable with the game having to redo that sequence over and over cause of the stupid QTE.

At least in shenmue most important qte events allow you a second chance when you f*ck up. Here it goes from feeling my arse to the guy choking me to death if I miss the first QTE.

As for the tomb raider legacy, I do feel its off. I seem to recall with the first one particularly that the first half of the game had very few human opponents (2 if I recall who were both bosses) and the weaponry was more for the exotic life that is hunting you. I know in its later half mercenaries and genetic fireball throwing *things* come out of the woodwork.

I'd hope this one had gone the same way a bit more with the survivors being a specific limited number of characters that dog you throughout the game, sort of like what was almost hinted at in the beginning with the guy chasing you through the cave, and the sequence where you are in the middle of a group of them but your hands are tied.

I actually like taking wolves down with the bow and arrow, and would have much preferred an expanded roster of animals (look at far cry 3) to make up the meat of the targets and keep the human opponents for very specific set pieces or locations. I very much rolled my eyes when *shielded grunt cliche #3* walked out of the base.

Also having animals over humans tend to make it easier to design a level more for puzzle and climbing mechanics as they don't tend to need to find cover and pot shot at you endlessly, they tend to work more as punishment when you go the wrong way or spend too long fiddling around with a puzzle.

I will admit though, the *takedown cliche #87* has a bit of charm here cause she picks up a rock and smacks them in the head with it. I find that endlessly amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

But remember legends done away with that stuff back in 06 and it went on to be one of the most successful and critically successful sequel since tomb2

Then they released underworld which brought back the more puzzle elements and it did not do too well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

This is a cross between Assassins Creed and Far Cry 3.Great so far, plenty of action.I find myself using the bow a lot more than the guns, although i just got the silencer attachment for the pistol which is pretty sweet.Enjoying it alot more than AC3. I dont see how people are saying its boring,once i killed the first guy its being action packed ever since.

i wonder if crystal dynamics are a bit annoyed that far cry 3 stole a good chunk of their thunder on so many elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

i wonder if crystal dynamics are a bit annoyed that far cry 3 stole a good chunk of their thunder on so many elements.

I'd imagine a little disappointed alright. Picked this up yesterday and played for about 90 minutes last night. Really enjoying it so far, and it's a beautiful looking game too!

Can't wait to get home and give it another go tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

as an action game this is very good (reminds me a bit of max payne 3) but as a platformer/tomb raider game its disappointing. I'll keep playing but the first tomb I raided I was so disappointed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I just don't know about this...now I have never really played a TR game before but I know its about puzzle solving and raiding...erm...tombs.

Let me state right now that I think its a super game, full of great spots and beautiful graphics. The main gripe I have is that I couldn't have expected a more different game if I tried. Is this eve Tomb Raider?

It's like getting really hyped about a New Super Mario game where I can take my time exploring every area at my leisure, but when I start the first world, Mario is going at lightning speed collecting rings, speeding all over the place and doing loop-the-loops. Good fun, but not at all what I expected.

It looked like it was going to be a survival game - stranded on a myserious island with just your wits to depend on. I expected to hunt animals for food to keep you alive. I imagined a placed where you were constantly faced with limited resources requiring you to scrounge for every single resource to keep you alive. I expected puzzles. What did I find?

Arrows! Arrows everywhere! Ammo all around. Need to upgrade your gun? Kill allllll the animals. Killing deer = semi-automatic pistol!

And where are the puzzles? It's pretty much a shooter in Lara clothing.

As I said, for what it is, it is very enjoyable, but it seems so far removed to what TR is supposed to be, I can see die hard fans being pretty insulted by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

but THERES ALMOST NO PUZZLES?!

as futureguy said above.... have to agree...

just did the part with
    the parachute...... after being impaled on a skie half a dozen times on the way down the rapids
    even playing on xbox it looked absolutely stunning I can only imagine wow good that section would look on the highest settings on a PC

Nodferatu wrote: »
    but THERES ALMOST NO PUZZLES?!

as futureguy said above.... have to agree...

The most jarring thing about it is that the first 30 minues of the game are EXACTLY what I thought the game was going to be...
    after getting used to the torch, you use it to solve puzzles such as lighting the barrels and leeting them roll down past the waterfall. I thought to myself-so THIS is why people love TR, I can see it now! And then you have to kill a deer to get meat and cook it. Again, it looked like it was an important element. But just as the game was delivering on it's premise, both elements are fcuked out the highest window. Now I shoot deer to upgrade my weapons. Such a silly concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The most jarring thing about it is that the first 30 minues of the game are EXACTLY what I thought the game was going to be...
    after getting used to the torch, you use it to solve puzzles such as lighting the barrels and leeting them roll down past the waterfall. I thought to myself-so THIS is why people love TR, I can see it now! And then you have to kill a deer to get meat and cook it. Again, it looked like it was an important element. But just as the game was delivering on it's premise, both elements are fcuked out the highest window. Now I shoot deer to upgrade my weapons. Such a silly concept.

You're quite right, and to go back to your earlier point, it's a very enjoyable game, but it doesn't feel like 'Tomb Raider' per se. I played the first 3 games when they game out, and really enjoyed them. Also played the 360 trilogy, so I'd consider myself a fan of the series. I'm enjoying this so far. It's different, but still worth playing.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

FutureGuy wrote:
    Such a silly concept.
    Yeah sounds sill......wait a second!!!, didn't you play Blanka in SF4?

Azza wrote: »
    Yeah sounds sill......wait a second!!!, didn't you play Blanka in SF4?

Deejay. Badly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RaZzZz

Playing this game on Ultra settings is simply fantastic.. I use my gamepad to move slowly around the environment and I just love the scenery, there is alot of shooting so far which kinda surprised me tbh, but fun nonetheless ^^
    Surround Sound is fantastic too, hearing deers or wolves brushing through the grass or bushes is quite an eery experience but that's what surround sound is all about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

:confused:
    RaZzZz wrote: »
    Playing this game on Ultra settings is simply fantastic.. I use my gamepad to move slowly around the environment and I just love the scenery, there is alot of shooting so far which kinda surprised me tbh, but fun nonetheless ^^
    Surround Sound is fantastic too, hearing deers or wolves brushing through the grass or bushes is quite an eery experience but that's what surround sound is all about ;)

I agree the island itself is great to explore i even went back to do some of the treasure hunting halfway through the game to spread it out abit

Some of the statues you have to find and light up were a fu#ker to find

biggebruv wrote: »
    :confused:

I agree the island itself is great to explore i even went back to do some of the treasure hunting halfway through the game to spread it out abit

Some of the statues you have to find and light up were a fu#ker to find

Birds nests are worse, only spotted one so far.

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    Birds nests are worse, only spotted one so far.

There's one up in a tree somewhere....

:pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement