Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC acting weird

• 03-06-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hey all
    Upc internet acting up...i dont know if its me or them but this is happening on both computers in the house.

When i go to download a file (itunes for example) the speed will not go above 50 kb/s. which is very slow for my 20mb connection. yet when i do a speed test online its perfectly fine...any ideas whats wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You may be being throttled,as far as I know UPC do this to bittorrent users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

No i dont think im being throttled as p2p works full speed(no i wasnt downloading anything illegal) so i dont really know whats wrong...probably not the browser as im using chrome on one computer and ie9 on another...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/gnuwin.epfl.ch/iso/gnuwinII_November_30_2004.iso

Try that and see what it gives you. I find it a good indicator of my actual UPC speed.

This is also a good tool.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/download_speed_tester.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Been having problems with my UPC the last few days also. I'm only getting around 70kb/s on that heanet .iso download and youtube videos are taking an age to load.

I've downloaded a lot more than I usually would over the past 2 weeks(damn that free RS premium account bargain alert!) but I don't think I could be near my 250GB limit.

If I am being throttled how long will it last?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭lo0kash

I'm having similar problems. speedtest / pingtest usually very good, but sometimes youtube, last.fm (streaming services?) are very poor. Same symptoms on two wifi devices I have... Called upc, after 30 mins their conclusion was I should call their premium support number :mad:
    Wish I never switched from eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

lo0kash wrote: »
    I'm having similar problems. speedtest / pingtest usually very good, but sometimes youtube, last.fm (streaming services?) are very poor. Same symptoms on two wifi devices I have... Called upc, after 30 mins their conclusion was I should call their premium support number :mad:
    Wish I never switched from eircom.

What DNS servers are you using? Try UPCs own ones if you are using Google/OpenDNS.

My Youtube, iTunes downloads, etc were often sub 1MBit when using Google DNS due to the way the traffic is routed based on where the DNS resolve happens.

Well tried heanet and got about 60kb/s :/ this is very strange. my speed seems to be jumping all over the place..last night around 12ish i downloaded avast and it got full speed for that...this morning downloaded itunes and the best speed i could get was 150kb/s. I really dont know whats wrong...might give them a call later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Very same problems here on 20mb upc. Youtube videos were taking years to load yesterday and downloads today are acting a bit funny. Seem to be downloading in bursts of full speed then low to nothing for long periods of time.

94cll.png

Spunog UIE wrote: »
    Very same problems here on 20mb upc. Youtube videos were taking years to load yesterday and downloads today are acting a bit funny. Seem to be downloading in bursts of full speed then low to nothing for long periods of time.

94cll.png

Hmm if your having the same problems must be something wrong on their end.....

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Having issues myslef here in Carlow. Supposed to be 50mb. In reality its only barely managing 2.6mb download with faster upload (5mb).

Called the helpdisk and the earliest an Engineer can call out is WEDNESDAY afternoon.

Not impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

its possible they're doing works on their netwoks and its affecting everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Home Theatre

Similar problems to report here (Sligo). 50 Mbps connection was working perfectly until late Thursday night. Since then speedtest.net and speedtest.magnet.ie report download speeds between 1Mbps and 2Mbps.

The speedtest on the UPC site is normal (48 - 50 Mbps). Been on to UPC. They think the problem might be at their end but they want to send an engineer out anyway. Call scheduled for Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It might be a Sligo thing since Me, ryanch09 and Home Theatre are suffering from the same problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    It might be a Sligo thing since Me, ryanch09 and Home Theatre are suffering from the same problems.

You can add me to that list. Speeds have been shocking the last two days or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

me too 50mb package slow also in sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I'm in Tipperary and I've been having problems too, especially with streams(youtube videos mostly). The connection has been very inconsistent for about 3 days now. Normally it was always perfect, always got the 20mb I paying for, and had a good ping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rob_T

Have been experiencing the same issue since yesterday. Speedtest.net tells me 28+mb when it selects Limerick server but if I select a US based server the speed plumets to <2mb. In Dublin south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

(I posted this on another thread, but this seems the best place to do so)

Same here, since Thursday night. I'm supposed to have 20Meg down / 2Meg up and I have 1.2Meg down and 0.3Meg up, as per UPC's and Speedtest.net's speedtests. Magnet's speedtest blissfully says I have 20Meg down and 0.6Meg up.
    Browsing the web feels like a really bad quality 56k: pages open slowly, some don't ever finish loading, some clicks have to be made 2 or 3 times before the page starts loading and download from the Microsoft website are going at 9-17Kb/sec.

(don't worry about my IP showing, I already have another one after the countless DNS tests...)
    161691.jpg

Please can you also state your location/area, so that we can at least see if this is an isolated problem?
    I'm in D18 / Cabinteely

Edit: Ironic title on UPC's speedtest webpage ->
    "Are you getting the broadband speed you are paying for?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

My speed test said I was getting 17mb, but I was only downloading from websites at 20kb/s most of the time. It is a problem all over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

looks like traffic going out of ireland is being hobbled :( probably a backbone isp dicking with upc to get more money from them :mad:

btw upc is gone dialup on me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dubal

Same here in Dublin 14, last few days its gone weird, fine then dropped, the fine again, then slow.

I am a firm believer in circumstantial evidence too, and there was 2 UPC vans on my road during the week.

Regards
    Dubal

The UPC vans could also be engineer visits to customers. I believe that at least until Friday evening at 4pm UPC haven't figured out that they have a backbone issue. I am saying that because that's when they gave me a wireless Cisco modem for free, as part of their troubleshooting for my line.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Things are starting to make sense. This has been driving me mad for the last 2 weeks. I've the 30MB package, and I usually don't get close to 30MB, but will usually get 20+ so I'm not complaining. But 2 weeks ago, it dropped to between 7 and 12. Now for the past couple of days, I'm anywhere between 1MB and 4MB.

I rang UPC and they're sending an engineer out next Tuesday week.

Another odd thing though. Twice now after I've been onto UPC cust support and I've been through the usual line testing, rebooting, etc, the cisco modem seemed to go into a reboot on its own (actually seems like a number of reboots one after another). The UPC engineer said she could see this in the logs and it wasn't supposed to happen. But afterwards, my speeds were back up to the usual 20MB+.

(*edit - I should add that the faster speed lasted for a random time (couple of hours) and then I'd plummet back to the slow speeds)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 linedash

Here's where it gets more interesting.

So I'm seeing the same performance here in Carlow; 30Mbps package - 60-120KB/s speeds from heanet and other download sites via http + ftp. Youtube is barely usable.

Their own speedtest says 2.4Mbps down, 0.3Mbps up.

Yet when I download files from my dedicated server using https; I get full speeds.

Hrm says me; install a proxy on the remote box and test heanet, etc again. Full speed.

Looks like there is some kind of traffic shaping/throttling/overloaded proxy or similar on the UPC network. Got a call back due from 2nd line support this afternoon/tomorrow, so will let you know how I get on.

linedash wrote: »
    Got a call back due from 2nd line support this afternoon/tomorrow, so will let you know how I get on.

Good luck with that, let me know if they end up calling you because I was promised the same thing 2 days ago; with the problem turning to be more of a national coverage issue rather than a bad line for me, I don't see it happening anyway.

bkehoe wrote: »
    What DNS servers are you using? Try UPCs own ones if you are using Google/OpenDNS.

My Youtube, iTunes downloads, etc were often sub 1MBit when using Google DNS due to the way the traffic is routed based on where the DNS resolve happens.

Yeh I'm using comodo but chaning to UPC DNS doesnt make any difference...

Strange, as it was fine for few couple of months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Same here in Dublin 16. 100Mb service getting 3Mb down :mad:

darraghn wrote: »
    Same here in Dublin 16. 100Mb service getting 3Mb down :mad:

I'm getting good download speeds in most of cases. The problem is poor connection when using streaming services - last.fm or youtube... Does anyone have similar problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 murphp

Same problem last few days. I'm on the 20mb package . Youtube wont' load fast enough etc. But weird thing is gaming on xbox360 is fine.

Also weird - on speedtest.net I'm getting around 1mbps download and 2mbps upload. But on UPC's speedtest I'm getting results of 20mbps download and 2mbps upload.

I'm in South Dublin btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dubal

dubal wrote: »
    Same here in Dublin 14, last few days its gone weird, fine then dropped, the fine again, then slow.

I am a firm believer in circumstantial evidence too, and there was 2 UPC vans on my road during the week.

Regards
    Dubal
    Anyhow I rang upc, they are doing improvement works in the area, followed by a text
    "UPC crews have identified and are repairing a general fault in your area. We will not need to call to your house."
    Dubal

Advertisement