Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC acting weird

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

dublincelt wrote: »
    Back to full speed here for the past 20 mins. First time since Fri morning.

Hope I havent tempted fate by posting this! :pac:

Back to normal speeds here as well..finally :P not that angry at UPC that was my first issue with them since i joined... :D

1331301417.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 EdwardHopper

This is not a speed issue but a dropping issue. I recently got UPC broadband in addition to the phone line. Since the phone modem has been replaced with the cisco one it seems to lose signal at least 3 to 4 times daily (that's when I'm on it) and then you watch the lights gradually come back on the modem (like it's resetting itself) until eventually you can continue browsing or call back whoever was on the phone when everything dropped.

I'm in D15, I've seen a few vans around working at boxes on the side of the roads in the last couple of weeks so I was hoping that was to resolve this issue.

Before I start a conversation with UPC about this I'd like to know more: like is this a modem issue or further down the line? is it exclusive to D15 or a bigger issue? The speed seems to be fine when it's working. I don't use the landline much but I didn't have the dropping of calls when I just had the phone line. There is another forum about the cisco modem in question but it seems to be about speed issues rather than it randomly and regularly resetting/restarting itself so my question seems to fit better under the "acting weird" heading of this topic :confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Back to 100Mb again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Got this result just now:
    1331825648.png
    Seems to be back to normal. I didn't notice that bad of a performance drop over the last few days, any tests I did were coming in at the 80Mb mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

Yakuza wrote: »
    Got this result just now:
    1331825648.png
    Seems to be back to normal. I didn't notice that bad of a performance drop over the last few days, any tests I did were coming in at the 80Mb mark.

I only noticed a problem with Youtube,which now is working fine again.

It'd be nice to know what happened,fair dues to Chosen for getting some info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 murphp

Back to full speeds here D18:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Suckish in Limerick again after "decent" speeds yesterday.
    Edit:
    So bad that I have been unable to run a speedtest after eight attempts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

my speeds are improved, but im having serious trouble still with opening sites.

alot of the time, google just wont load, or many other sites.. it can take 2-3 minutes of refreshing before they'll start to load

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

my speeds are improved, but im having serious trouble still with opening sites.

alot of the time, google just wont load, or many other sites.. it can take 2-3 minutes of refreshing before they'll start to load

I get this problem too. Site will refresh no problem, but when i type in a new address into chrome it wont open the page. I bought a new router because i though that was the problem but it seems not.

anybody got any ideas why this might happen?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

20 Mbps service:

1333558873.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mr X11

Was about to start a thread on this. My speeds have been brutal for the last two weeks also. Should be 20mb more like 3mb on average. Not happy camper.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Sometimes I might be getting between 70mb-80mb, but usually I'm getting well above 100mbps down, 9mbps up. I'm in Limerick btw, city center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I'm in Limerick City and it still seems unresolved despite the speedtest showing this
    1334386954.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

also, here's some more info on this:
    fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    I'm in Limerick and noticed the 10 meg UPC acting a bit sluggish last 2-3 days. YouTube takes ages to start a movie, pages opening slow, etc.
    As usual I went to speedtest.net, but for some reason I don't believe what I'm seeing, the speed is going up and down from 1-44 megs, but at the end of the test somehow stops at 11 megs. I'll try to record it and maybe post later, but in the meantime, anyone else having problems wit speedtest.net?

here's the video:
    http://screenr.com/tAss

and today's screenrec:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,925 ✭✭✭patrickc

Down completely in carlow again now. FEck sake

I rebooted my 2203 tonight while installing a new router and noticed that its firmware has been updated. It's now on epc2203-E10-13-v202r1262-110516cs, so it's less than a month old. Not sure why it was updated but just thought I'd get it out there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Karsini wrote: »
    I rebooted my 2203 tonight while installing a new router and noticed that its firmware has been updated. It's now on epc2203-E10-13-v202r1262-110516cs, so it's less than a month old. Not sure why it was updated but just thought I'd get it out there.

I was speaking to a level 2 tech support today and they said that there was a fw update being pushed out at the moment but that was to resolve phone issues and probably wouldn't fix my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

patrickc wrote: »
    Down completely in carlow again now. FEck sake

This "Service" is really starting to piss me off! Eircom are bad but these chancers are doing their best to be just as incompetant!

When I tried to log a call there is no option to report a fault with the Broadband service. Just like last week. Its as if they don't want you to call in! And nobody to take any support call until 9AM.

Jokers!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

The WONDERFUL service that is UPC. Supposed to be 50mb.

1334892536.png

Are you geting the speeds you are paying for? (c) UPC :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CelticGibson

Seems okay as of 10 am. I am on the old 30Mb package.

1334954370.png

• Advertisement

Jonathan wrote: »
    20 Mbps service:
    Marginally improved today:
    1335121599.png

EDIT: Is there a 8Mbps/128kbps package?

Speed is consistently slow and traffic maxes out at these speeds all day.

Jonathan wrote: »
    EDIT: Is there a 8Mbps/128kbps package?
    Yes but it's a legacy package. Used to be 5Mb down but was bumped up to 8Mb with the price hike in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

I'm in D14 and had an engineer call 2 days ago. Tested everything, all OK. Rang some guy to perform a remote test. Said it was "packet loss". Checked other people on the road, confirmed they all had "packet loss" too. Indicated it was most likely a physical problem with the main trunk line around all the houses. I rang support today to get a status update and there was a message saying that "If I'm ringing from D14 area, there's a known problem that is being worked on". Still no improvement though. The support people in UPC have stated they'll refund me for the period of time I'm not getting the service I'm paying for, so makes me feel a little better...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I'm in Dublin 8 and the other morning it was down. Broadband, Phone and TV. I rang them and let them know. I got a text about an hour later informing me there was a 'know problem' in my area and that they were working on it. The service returned in the afternoon and I got a text confirming this with an option to reply to the text if I was still having problems.

I was pretty impressed with that - though of course it shouldn't go in the first place.
    I've got the impression from reading boards over the years that there is an element of 'luck of the draw' with UPC. Some people have perfect service while others have problems that seem to drag on and on. Seems pretty random location wise too.

We've only had the broadband service available here for a couple of months and the speed has been good and consistent. Fingers crossed!

1346669419.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Is it down for everyone else again too? D18.

B0X wrote: »
    Is it down for everyone else again too? D18.

Nope, working here for me.

Karsini wrote: »
    Nope, working here for me.

Ah really? Well quit hogging all the bandwidth! :p

Has this still been hapening to other people? I switched to Open DNS and still no improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Captain Halibut

UPC still mostly down in my Stillorgan area.
    A upc website ticker at least acknowledging
    the problem would be some help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mines bit nuts lately. I haven't got the willpower to ring UPC yet again.

Advertisement