Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC acting weird

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,622 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

bardcom wrote: »
    I'm in D14 and had an engineer call 2 days ago. Tested everything, all OK. Rang some guy to perform a remote test. Said it was "packet loss". Checked other people on the road, confirmed they all had "packet loss" too. Indicated it was most likely a physical problem with the main trunk line around all the houses. I rang support today to get a status update and there was a message saying that "If I'm ringing from D14 area, there's a known problem that is being worked on". Still no improvement though. The support people in UPC have stated they'll refund me for the period of time I'm not getting the service I'm paying for, so makes me feel a little better...

I am in D4 too. The service has been generally crap for over 2 weeks. There was an outage around the 2nd or 3rd this month and they said they would send an enginner out, but texted me to say there was a fault in the area and that it would be back shortly. Ever since then, it has been pretty rubbish with pages often not loading, downloads freezing and games with pings varying between 50-200- and disconnecting.

It seemed to be fine for the last few days, but this morning I got disconnected and couldn't get back on for 15 minutes. I rang UPC and they tried to sync the modem but the girl I was talking to said "there seems to be something wrong in the area" and that she needed to speak to her supervisor.

I did a ping -t test to google this morning and the results are shocking. I won't paste the entire results, but the summary is as follows:
    Ping statistics for 209.85.143.99:
        Packets: Sent = 171, Received = 133, Lost = 38 (22% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 9ms

Even trying to get on here to post this took 15 bloody minutes :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rusty__

1352729420.png

fine for me, much better than magnet and Eircom ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,622 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Rusty, that doesn't look right. Did you disable your antivirus when running that? When I leave Kaspersky run, it interferes with speedtest and I can be shown with a 300Mb connection when it is nowhere close to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Rusty__ wrote: »
    1352729420.png

fine for me, much better than magnet and Eircom ^_^

Is your upload speed a bit slow???

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I'm in Dublin 9,

Speedtest.net says i'm getting 19.6mb/s on a 20mb/s connection, so that's all good. However, I can't even watch a youtube video. I've already tried disconnecting and reconnecting the router but that didn't help.

Any one else having difficulties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Apara7us

1352855181.png

25MB plan,newcastle d22.Btw they have removed broadband service support from 1908 ;DD

Are you getting the Broadband speed you’re paying for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Apara7us wrote: »
    1352855181.png

25MB plan,newcastle d22.Btw they have removed broadband service support from 1908 ;DD

Are you getting the Broadband speed you’re paying for?

Yep.

Getting full speeds, I did however rewire my house for Gigabit lan.

What's the new support number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

So I've been running a download for the last 2 days or so, limiting it to 5Kbs just so I could get a clear idea of how often it's going down.

Here's the graph for the past hour:

graph.jpg

Not looking good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Yooee

BB and phone was down for the last 5 days, still crap now with lots of disconnections but at least its working.Tech dude said they're upgrading the area so its likely to be crap for 4/5 weeks. This is in D24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Paraxis

Also awful in D15. Cant even stream 240p videos on youtube =[

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Antonius.Prime

It's acting wonky in Wilton in Cork too.
    Tried isolating to the WiFi, but the connection issues (packet loss, slowness, DNS resolution issues) are too regular to be interference or weak wifi.

Frankly, I'm still unsure if its not router though as I replaced an Airport Express with a Cisco E1000 and I'm still ironing out kinks.

Though if someone can say for certain "yeah, UPC are currently borked" I'd be willing to accept that as well.

Seems similar to the time they rolled out the 30MB and nodes were severely over-subbed for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm in Dublin 15 and can't download a thing. Browsing is also slow and Youtube is a non runner. I'm gonna call them and tell them to look at this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Paraxis

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    It might be a Sligo thing since Me, ryanch09 and Home Theatre are suffering from the same problems.

Let me know how that goes will ya? Tbh I'm not convinced it has anything to do with the area. My neighbours internet is fine. Just trying to find a common denominator

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Karlmartini1

I was in a friends house in Dublin 1 where we found it impossible to download and watch a movie on Apple TV. Speed test was coming back with 350kb/s. I just got home to my own house in Dublin 6 and am having the same issue with my own UPC. Speedtest.net gives excellent speed (around 20MB/s) but other speed test web sites give 300kb/s. I think this is because speedtest.net finds the fastest server to connect to which may be even on the UPC network. Methinks UPC are having a major bottlekneck on the the backbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Karlmartini1

I just got a confirmation from UPC support that they are having issues on a national level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kyub wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin 15 and can't download a thing. Browsing is also slow and Youtube is a non runner. I'm gonna call them and tell them to look at this thread.

Also Dublin 15, and having issues since yesterday afternoon.

1353631528.png

On the 50mb package. Then 15 minutes later...

1353643349.png

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    1353631528.png

On the 50mb package. Then 15 minutes later...

1353643349.png

I'm on the 30MB and this is the exact same behaviour.
    Anyone spoken to UPC about it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭sporina

hi all, i am having trouble too. I have a query for someone though about sppedcheck. So I have 12mb - so on a speed check, should I get 12mb/sec max? I do not really understand the whole MB and speed thing. At the moment I am getting 1.2 mb/s download... grhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CelticGibson

That's what you should be getting. I am on the 30 Mega bit download and I get 2.9-3.0 Mega Bytes download. Bits are a tenth of Bytes..Roughtly speaking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

sporina wrote: »
    hi all, i am having trouble too. I have a query for someone though about sppedcheck. So I have 12mb - so on a speed check, should I get 12mb/sec max? I do not really understand the whole MB and speed thing. At the moment I am getting 1.2 mb/s download... grhhhh

The advertised 12Mb is 12 Megabits (Mb).
    Download speed on Speedtest.net(by default) is measured in MegaBytes(MB).
    There are 8 bits in a byte.
    12Megabits / 8 = 1.5MegaBytes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭sporina

oh ok - why don't they just have a table of this on their website ie what range of speed you should get for each package - for us who are not so tech savy.
    Anyway thanks a million - but my broadband is really struggling.

Another question, would your router effect the speed?

sporina wrote: »
    Another question, would your router effect the speed?

Your connection from the device to the router can certainly affect results.
    If you are using Speedtest.net to get an idea if you are getting what you are paying for, rule out wifi interference by plugging the computer directly into the modem via ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Been seeing issues since i arrived home monday, living in D8.

Mornings is fine.

Evenings, its dropping packets like an old person with arthritis as a grocery store. Pings to google.com/upc.ie getting request time outs every few hops.

Tried a different cable & laptop. Direct to modem and via WRTG54.

Speed tests (30M line) have been 4M/12M/9M/800k/15M and so on.

Tried OpenDNS servers, same issue.

Been on the phone to UPC and they claim "we are seeing no packet loss between here and your modem"

I am on an old Scientific Atlana Modem (from about 5yrs ago), and was afraid that was it, until i read this thread.

UPC still claiming there is nothing wrong, but have agreed to send out an engineer monday evening.....

Shougeki wrote: »
    UPC still claiming there is nothing wrong, but have agreed to send out an engineer monday evening.....

Let us know how this goes, I'll phone them tomorrow and try the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Our phone lines are gone today as well as the broadband... :(

Down for me in Fairview for the second time in two hours. Same problem as always, blinking US light and Access Denied in the web interface of the modem.

164631.png

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

I had the same problem all week but seems to have been finally sorted since yesterday. Just spoke to them again to get credited for the days down. :)

It seems they're still slow for destinations outside of the UK.
    Any time I ping test or speed test an irish location or mainland europe, I'm looking at anywhere from 2MB to 10MB. (on a 30MB connection)
    UK destinations I get consitently 23MB + (on a wifi connection internally, so the 5-8MB difference is livable, considering same tests connected to router shopw a 5-8MB increase.)

Could be a routing table issue, as anything that goes through the UK is fine, but anything that goes through ireland or europe is borked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

I was having the same issue, however it seems to have returned to normal as of 6pm...

Advertisement