Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC acting weird

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Anybody in D12 experiencing any BB downtime mine dropped about an hour ago and no sign of it coming back yet.

Edit: back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

Just went down here in mullingar at about 18:35

Back Up again 18:43 jumped the gun

Turns out my connection was down all night, only came back online at 7:58 this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Anybody in D12 experiencing any BB downtime mine dropped about an hour ago and no sign of it coming back yet.

Edit: back now.

Went tits up again around 10 and just back now, anybody any idea of whats going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭smackyB

Anyone experiencing downtime in the grand canal dock area today? Started this morning :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mine isn't going down anymore but.. the quality is patchy. Some sites load immediately, as you'd expect with a 50 meg conn but other sites and video streams can be just.. terrible.
    im having to wait 3-4 minutes sometimes, and several refreshes to open boards sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mine keeps going down for a minute or two constantly. lag in online games is off the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Is there a way to periodically check and record internet speeds/connection on a PC whilst not at home? Ideally what I'm looking for is something to say

09.00 - 49mb DL / 4.8mb UL / 26ms ping
    09.05 - 48mb DL / 4.8mb UL / 34ms ping
    09.10 - No connection

I'm at work during the day (at the moment) but I know that the connection is dropping several times during the day and just want to record the outages for when I get on to UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Captain Halibut

Mostly back to normal in D14 area.
    Still goes for a brief "lie down" after
    12 at night though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

anyone in cork douglas having the same problem?
    Mine keep went off in 12pm, 4, 6 and 12am...
    And some times it is incredible slow even cant load a page...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

kk887 wrote: »
    anyone in cork douglas having the same problem?
    Mine keep went off in 12pm, 4, 6 and 12am...
    And some times it is incredible slow even cant load a page...

Not in Douglas but am in Cork and yeah, been having problems all day with connecting to sites and streaming video.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Antonius.Prime

nesf wrote: »
    Not in Douglas but am in Cork and yeah, been having problems all day with connecting to sites and streaming video.

In Wilton, for the last 2 weeks been having slow downs, drop outs and random packet loss. UPC deny all knowledge. Apparently their packets are CIA Black Ops operatives...
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

my broadband was down since about 9pm last night. one phone call to upc this morning and now it is back on. probs to upc efficiency. but a 12hr outage of broadband service shouldnt happen in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

looks like it is upc's problem but hear nothing from them...

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

UPC are the worst service provider & customer service in the history of TV and customer service.

Stay well clear of them.

Their internet can be cheap & works ok, but if it starts to drops out, get ready for a world of pain.

For TV Sky is light years ahead and better.

The fact the ireland has only 2 providers is shocking.

UPC are cheap & nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

Stepaside/D18 here. I noticed my internet has gone to pieces over the weekend. It goes from being normal to worse than dial up. Then it goes back to normal for a bit before crapping out half an hour later. Its much worse in the afternoons/evenings. Can't use youtube right now because its just so slow.

UPC have really fallen to crap lately. Mine is down AGAIN in Fairview, exact same symptoms as always. On Tuesday I also lost the TV for several hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Ditto... working from home this morning in Kilmacud/Dundrum and its up and down like a jockeys b****x.

For months it never went down and now it is constantly dropping. Seems to be since I went to the 100Mb. In the past, during major outages, I would check the phone and it would be down too but today and recently it seems to be just the Internet.

Got rid of the TV and back on Sky now but still with UPC for Internet and Phone. Probably gotta stick it out and hope these issues get resolved as couldn't go back to relying on the eircom for last mile.

When it does work its unbeatable!

1375125160.png

Paddy

Got rid of the TV and back on Sky now but still with UPC for Internet and Phone. Probably gotta stick it out and hope these issues get resolved as couldn't go back to relying on the eircom for last mile.

When it does work its unbeatable!
    Same as. When it works it's great but the reliability has been terrible recently. I really don't fancy going to Eircom or a bitstream reseller so will have to weather the storm I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Karsini wrote: »
    Same as. When it works it's great but the reliability has been terrible recently. I really don't fancy going to Eircom or a bitstream reseller so will have to weather the storm I think.

That's pretty much where I am. Thing is, a) I'm certain that UPC will fix the problem and b) that when their system is working that it'll work well for me. These are two things I can't be sure of in bitstream sellers from past experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Had similar issues with speed a few weeks ago but thats fine again.

Trouble now is that the damn modem keeps dropping link once every hour.

Anyone else had this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

60Mb here, can't watch any youtube videos at the moment without pausing. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

wow didn't know this thread was still going. I think youtube's having problems. Videos are loading very slowly even though everything else is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

mwrf wrote: »
    60Mb here, can't watch any youtube videos at the moment without pausing. :mad:

This is not a UPC issue. This is related to the youtube servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭sporina

are other pages slow? just youtube for me so that would indicate that the prob is with youtube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

YouTube works just fine for me on UPC 20Mb (recently upgraded for free to 25) in Dublin 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

everything apart from torrents is slow for me, UPC 30MB/Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

I am almost convinced its throttling mixed with contention ratios for me. I was living in Leixlip, Kildare up until about 2 months ago and recently just moved into Dublin 8 just off the quays and the difference in QoS is astonishing.

First and foremost if UPC are throttling it is definitely location specific. I never felt like I was battling my neighbours for the internet. At one point my connection did slow down from the 25MB to like 1.5MB so I rang them. They said "ok blah blah blah we have done something really fancy just for you because we love our customers so much, you should be up to 80% speed by the end of the day" and that was that. Back in business. Only problem I ever really had. Although I do wonder if they were just throttling me and covering it up as I do go a bit heavy on the p2p sometimes. But I did definitely get a bit of throttling on p2p traffic and YT but very rarely. Usually in the evenings during the week.

Now on the same speed connection I am pulling my hair out. All I wanted to do was play MW3 but no. NAT type is strict all of a sudden.I have spent more time on the routers page than any other page today hoping and hoping its just a simple problem on my end. Now I know from experience that your NAT can be registered as strict if your connection is getting throttled but why the hell would MW3 be throttled? Fair enough I play long hours sometimes but hardly comparable to
    anything else I do on the net. So now my download speed is sub 1MB, I can't stream YT and online gaming is lagging so much Im teleporting.

Is there any point in giving me a connection at all if they are gonna throttle me so bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

My download speed is more or less normal but uploads seem to be crippled this evening. I'm getting 0.2meg up and uploading photos to photography sites is more or less impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭duckndive

Just seen this thread and I have the same problem as nearly all on it. D6 and my service has been dropping on and off for the last month.

I am on the lower 25Mbs package but I am lucky to hit 2Mbs at most times. I have an older Scientific Atlanta modem, (by request as I know how s**t UPC routers are) and use my own router with their modem in bridge mode.

I have tested via the modem without my router, as I already had a visit by an "engineer", I use that word lightly. He basically said his supervisor said it is my WiFi router, to which I pointed out I took it out of the equation after the about the 51st reboot/re-synch of their modem with no influence from me.

I have looked back through this thread and others and cannot but help seeing a recurring theme of losing synch, missing software updates, DOCSIS mismatches after update, national UPC issues, etc.

Do UPC actually look in here and see that their is an overwhelming amount of evidence that this is not a user problem but one that is without doubt a problem within their network??

I cannot/will not stay on hold again for 45 minutes to make an appointment with an "engineer" whom will once again tell me that their supervisor says it is not their problem. I actually couldn't contemplate talking to his supervisor for fear of using the term "throttled" outside of bandwidth provisioning.

One very disgruntled customer and going by the latest CS one liners they will have many more soon enough.

Is there a UPC Rep here?

Advertisement