Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC acting weird

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Im on the 120mb package. I had same issues yesterday. speedtest.net said 90mb on wireless, but logging into basic sites like facebook, tesco and gmail was taking ages and hanging. connection lost issues.
    Cold restart of the modem fixed it. I find anytime I have issues with the connection (skype etc) I just turn off router for 1 min and restart, its perfect then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭duckndive

What speeds where you getting on wired? WiFi, if neighbouring channels are conflicting with your channel band that may also be a problem. Just change your channel to one which is at least three away from the nearest neighbouring channel.

Cold booting the modem will generally resynch it, but that still constitutes a problem. I would have to cold boot nearly twenty times a day at this stage.

I contacted UPC and got through to a very polite and technically astute lady. Without admitting to a problem, she did say that there were quite a few unusual readings coming from my modem and that my visit from their engineer would not have highlighted this at the time, (I think the engineer not finding the problem was the problem).

She has said that they will change my modem for a Cisco WiFi router, their now standard offering. I am crossing my fingers as I am also aware of the problems with this router, as per the sticky thread here. But it's DOCSIS 3 so should cope with the latest and future upgrades. I also noted that it does not have bridge mode but putting my router in it's DMZ should hopefully do the trick.

Should be with me in a few days and I will post how stable, (or not), it is after another few days.

Advertisement