Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

going wage for tractor driving.

• 03-06-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

hi what in your opinion is the going rate of pay per hour for driving a tractor for a contractor / farmer.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭stanflt

cattle man wrote: »
    hi what in your opinion is the going rate of pay per hour for driving a tractor for a contractor / farmer.:)

about 10 years ago i worked for a building/farm contractor and was getting 14euro an hour-same man is getting lads for 5euro now and only when heeds them-they must be on the scratcher

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

je thats fairly low i taugh between 8-10 a hr would be reasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

stanflt wrote: »
    about 10 years ago i worked for a building/farm contractor and was getting 14euro an hour-same man is getting lads for 5euro now and only when heeds them-they must be on the scratcher

Yearra, I wouldn't believe that. Only one miserable cnut, would go that low. And only a fool would accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

it would depend on the experience of the person and if they are also claiming the dole.... i absolutely HATE giving money to people that are robbing off me in another way

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

whelan1 wrote: »
    it would depend on the experience of the person and if they are also claiming the dole.... i absolutely HATE giving money to people that are robbing off me in another way

Course they're on the dip , it's not even minimum wage ..

• Advertisement

well i rest my case... i pay my tax to fund these people and they are screwing us in another way so they can feck off or get a proper job

well i rest my case... i pay my tax to fund these people and they are screwing us in another way so they can feck off or get a proper job

The black economy is alive and kicking and so long as the country is in the ****e it will thrive ..

Same in the 80s ...

would be interested to see why the op was asking,,, if you're on the dole would you still expect to get maximum rate per hour and why?

would be interested to see why the op was asking,,, if you're on the dole would you still expect to get maximum rate per hour and why?

Beer money , single lad 200 aweek on the dole , another extra 2/300 a week would keep them well pissed for the weekend ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Get Cracking

Its mostly young lads who do that,17,18,19.
    theres not much else for them to do sometimes,living in little towns.
    just pure beer money,what ever they get an hour it goes straight into the local econmy again before monday morning.:)
    The farmers probably cant afford to pay them much more.

• Advertisement

Id be more concerned why a taoiseach was getting paid more than a u.s president.

Id be more concerned why a taoiseach was getting paid more than a u.s president.

Well , he does more than Obama will ever do .

Crying at riverdance , the big gob****e ...

Thats a valid point:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

denlaw wrote: »
    Well , he does more than Obama will ever do .

Crying at riverdance , the big gob ****e ...

You wouldn't catch a proper FF, taoiseach crying. Just drinking feeds of porter, and singing away till tis time to do a breakfast interview on radio.

NO. IM A second year ag student and am currently on holidays and driven for a contractor. so no im not claiming the doll or anything like that.:mad:

im getting 8euro a hour and was wondering is that around the average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Supermad4tar

jeysus lads all ye must think that all us college student do is drinkin!! we are tryin ta earn a few pound for to go to college. its hard enuf ta pay 4 accomodation without payin fees as wel! sher money dosnt grow on trees!!

Tora Bora wrote: »
    You wouldn't catch a proper FF, taoiseach crying. Just drinking feeds of porter, and singing away till tis time to do a breakfast interview on radio.

very good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

cattle man wrote: »
    NO. IM A second year ag student and am currently on holidays and driven for a contractor. so no im not claiming the doll or anything like that.:mad:

im getting 8euro a hour and was wondering is that around the average.

You'I be able to claim all your tax back aswel if contractor is above board :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Harrier1980

I used to get 20 quid a day for it about 10 - 12 yeas ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

i would say most lads or men driving tractors at the moment and indeed in the past would only b getting aday rate.they should b better paid.its askill in itself that not just any one can hop up on 1st without learning over time.most modern machines are valueable and fast,hence bringing alot of responsibility and sense of safety too the job is paramount.so any contractor reading this who pays good lads or men badly,mayb ushould think about this.its not just driving atractor.

• Advertisement

Nobbies wrote: »
    i would say most lads or men driving tractors at the moment and indeed in the past would only b getting aday rate.they should b better paid.its askill in itself that not just any one can hop up on 1st without learning over time.most modern machines are valueable and fast,hence bringing alot of responsibility and sense of safety too the job is paramount.so any contractor reading this who pays good lads or men badly,mayb ushould think about this.its not just driving atractor.

totally agree.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scub

jeysus lads all ye must think that all us college student do is drinkin!! we are tryin ta earn a few pound for to go to college. its hard enuf ta pay 4 accomodation without payin fees as wel! sher money dosnt grow on trees!!

I do hope your not a student of English...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

scub wrote: »
    I do hope your not a student of English...........

you mean ''you're'' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

our local silage contractors are at E10 an hour, few nights last summer, a friand of mine was making 200, 220 euro a day at peak of the first cut. the man was absolutlely shagged for weeks tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I'm gettin 50 cent a bale wrapping silage. I know it's not a per hour figure, just said I'd throw it up all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

13spanner wrote: »
    I'm gettin 50 cent a bale wrapping silage. I know it's not a per hour figure, just said I'd throw it up all the same.

Hope you don't find this too personal a Q
    50c per bale sounds great - 50 bales per hour = €25 per hour in big fields behind 2 balers or on short draws but I remember a lot of farms where we had long draws/the farmer was drawing them in singly when I wrapped and you could be averaging 20 bales per hour. So when you factor in long draws plus the time travelling between jobs do you think you'd be on the min wage for a days (8-8 = 12 hrs) work?

Hope you don't find this too personal a Q
    50c per bale sounds great - 50 bales per hour = €25 per hour in big fields behind 2 balers or on short draws but I remember a lot of farms where we had long draws/the farmer was drawing them in singly when I wrapped and you could be averaging 20 bales per hour. So when you factor in long draws plus the time travelling between jobs do you think you'd be on the min wage for a days (8-8 = 12 hrs) work?
    No, your no problem, not too personnal at all :) I suppose it varies alot. On days with long draws, a weak crop or alot of travelling I'd be getting ALOT less than lads my age on a 9 to 5 job. And when there's no silage being done end up inside under a baler or mower for half the day being payed nothing. But I've had a few days following 2 balers when I got into the tractor at 6 in the morning and out of it at 2 the following morning, only gettin off for eating and changin plastic :D nothing like it haha.

No, your no problem, not too personnal at all :) I suppose it varies alot. On days with long draws, a weak crop or alot of travelling I'd be getting ALOT less than lads my age on a 9 to 5 job. And when there's no silage being done end up inside under a baler or mower for half the day being payed nothing. But I've had a few days following 2 balers when I got into the tractor at 6 in the morning and out of it at 2 the following morning, only gettin off for eating and changin plastic :D nothing like it haha.

What are you driving/wrapping with, I was stuck on a very old (older than me) Ford 4600 at first and after whinging for a few years got upgraded to a 7610 - turns out it was sh**e as it was 3 steps in and out of the cab when the wrapper broke down ....................which it did a lot

What are you driving/wrapping with...
    I'm wrapping with a 1991 Case IH 895xl. She's no john deere but the dealer/garage is only a mile from home so there's no fear! :D not the nicest one for wrappin but it's only busy for 3 months of the year so she does the job. The wrapper is a 92 conor job. A reliable enough one, got all the hoses done last year. Cable controls, none of that electric nonsense haha.

• Advertisement

This came up the other day when I was talking to the contactor I drove for back then and he said he's never been able to get a wrapper set-up like that old 4600/Kneverland wrapper combination.

Probably because the hyd supply to the wrapper was easily 3 times bigger than any tractor he has owned (hedgecutter pump driven off the crankshaft ~ 4500 rpm as opposed to 540 rpm & a 1" supply rather than a 1/2" supply) and the wrapper had been cracked and then repaired & strengthened so much it was indestructible.

Oh -- and it was electric controls. press the button and then ignore it for 40 seconds = :p bliss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Wrapping,mowing,raking and drawing in getting 9 euro an hour cash with the last 5 summers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Oh -- and it was electric controls. press the button and then ignore it for 40 seconds = :p bliss

What if a bale decided to fly off and land in on the lift arms of the tractor or on the post holding the roll of film and pre stretch rollers - it was very common for those kneverland wrappers if the oil being pumped was much over 25l/m????

Could you stop it fast enough before you did some damage??????????

reilig wrote: »
    What if a bale decided to fly off and land in on the lift arms of the tractor or on the post holding the roll of film and pre stretch rollers - it was very common for those kneverland wrappers if the oil being pumped was much over 25l/m????

Yeah, my thoughts too. Just the other day I was wrapping bales for a neighbour who used their own Claas 46, a twine job. Bales had been made with 2 days and were in a bad shape. Took my eyes off it for a second and a bale came off the wrapper and fell up against the wrap dispenser :eek: nothing broken or damaged, luckily! I learned my lesson and that wont happen again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Bales had been made with 2 days and were in a bad shape.

2 days?!?

Anything over 3 hours is too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

maidhc wrote: »
    2 days?!?

notice this year as well that the crows are doing a share of damage, had bales wrapped a few hrs before i got round to bringing them in and the feckers had holed a good few of them, same thing at a neighbours the other day, seems if they are in the field for any length the crows attack!

• Advertisement

2 days?!?

And to make it worse they were twine bales out of a Claas 46! Brutal shape on them, well over a minute wrapping each, cruel slow!

reilig wrote: »

. Took my eyes off it for a second and a bale came off the wrapper and fell up against the wrap dispenser :eek: nothing broken or damaged, luckily! I learned my lesson and that wont happen again!

Fu**ing boards!!! It logged me out as I had spent too long typing a reply and then lost the reply when I logged in again.

Sorry lads but I'm not spending 10 mins typing that again.

I set the throttle to 1500rpm, used the foot throttle to rev it more to wrap as fast as I could, when the bale gets 2-3 first wraps it squeees into a slight oval. At wrap ten the oval is standing on end (like a rugby ball in a free kick) and as the bale sways it tightens and looses the plastic and changes the sound of the plastic coming off the reel.

When I heard that I would let the foot throttle up and then a few seconds later after the bale would have sat down I'd rev the engine again.

That and the other tricks I had to come up with really hammered the wrapper though. If its any use to ye I'll sit down and detail what we were doing back then to get a 55-58 bale per hour throughput but ye'd want to have a spare wrapper as it will definetely break down the main wrapper. At the time the boss was happy as I could keep up to 2-3 balers and he didn't have to employ a 2nd wrapper man, just keep a spare similar wrapper in the yard.

edit: we had a stock of the usual parts that broke on the main machines/machines we only had one of. eg spare wrapper could be brought out or for something like a bent dispenser post just swop it with the yard wrapper. Same for the balers - spare chains, tyres, rollers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

...when the bale gets 2-3 first wraps it squeees into a slight oval. At wrap ten the oval is standing on end (like a rugby ball in a free kick) and as the bale sways it tightens and looses the plastic and changes the sound of the plastic coming off the reel.

The baler man is definately doing something wrong if the bale can be squeezed by plastic a fraction of a mm thick!

The baler man is definately doing something wrong if the bale can be squeezed by plastic a fraction of a mm thick!

You would be very surprised what plastic even a fraction of a mm thick can do if you apply enough of it, I've seen it used as rope to hold machines together to stop them falling to pieces on the road home. look at rope itself, any one strand is useless, combine several - its strong enough to tie a human (twine) combine enough strands and you can moor supertankers!

baling in 2nd hi-hi (10 series fords) probably didn't help. The boss just wanted to see numbers so he would take on too much work each day, in turn we'd drive faster and faster just to get home. You had to be good mechanically in that outfit, in fact you needed to be mechaically gifted at times. Great training for the college course I went onto do though :) - Marine Engineering (ships engineering officer) that was all about fixing machinery when it broke down without the option of dealers being nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

+1 on the strength of plastic. Whenever I needed to tie something I'd just pull a few feet off the roll and twist it into a sort of rope. Very very strong.

Although going by the description those bales do sound sh1te!

• Advertisement
Advertisement