Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper Van Hire?

Options
  • 03-06-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm interested in hiring a camper van for the family holiday this year - (2 adults, 3 kids (4,7,10)) ...
    Anyone got any ideas as to where a lad could get reasonable rates? Cheapest I can find online is 135euro a day, and have to collect from Dublin Airport. I'm near Carlow, btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

seems reasonable enough to me in fairness
    is that insurance included
    is there a minimum rental
    if its in dublin just use that as part of your adventure
    less than 2 hrs to carlow
    dont forget to salute other motorhomers on your travels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Ta,
    if that's reasonable, its probably not going to happen so...
    on a tight budget - thought that might get us away for a few days... Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

thats cheap . We couldn't rent one at that price... not that we do much rental mind ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

OK thanks for that lads.
    May start saving so!!!!

My mechanic has a Coach built Mercedes 410 (I think). Going for €50 p/d over 26 open drive insurance. He's based in Glanmire in Cork.
    Contact Steve; 086 886 1049.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

My mechanic has a Coach built Mercedes 410 (I think). Going for €50 p/d over 26 open drive insurance. He's based in Glanmire in Cork.
    Contact Steve; 086 886 1049.

that rate and he will be booked out for the summer
    great value

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

On your "open drive " insurance policy it clearly states that your insurance will be void if used for "hire and reward".
    There is one very good reason why the rental rates are so high and thats the insurance charge.
    We had a family from Switzerland renting a camper off us last year for 2 weeks. The final insurance charge for this period was over 700 euro.

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

demoreino wrote: »
    On your "open drive " insurance policy it clearly states that your insurance will be void if used for "hire and reward".
    There is one very good reason why the rental rates are so high and thats the insurance charge.
    We had a family from Switzerland renting a camper off us last year for 2 weeks. The final insurance charge for this period was over 700 euro.

It's maddening isn't it Kevin? We regularly get people b1tching about the price too .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    It's maddening isn't it Kevin? We regularly get people b1tching about the price too .

Not specific to Campervan Hire i'm afraid. We love to bitch in this country. Just give us a price, and be the hokey isn't it cheaper down the road........

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭WildWater

Feck sake that's like you working for the insurance company :eek:

• Advertisement

Ya, I believe some rental companies have gone under or are going under this year because of the insurance companies. We still have a full no claims bonus at the moment because we are only 18 months in business but if you have made claims in the past, I have heard of companies been charged almost 100 euro per days rental by their friendly insurance company. Then you get people bit***ng about our prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gamblor166

Ya, I believe some rental companies have gone under or are going under this year because of the insurance companies. We still have a full no claims bonus at the moment because we are only 18 months in business but if you have made claims in the past, I have heard of companies been charged almost 100 euro per days rental by their friendly insurance company. Then you get people bit***ng about our prices.

hey do you have 4 birth available for the weekend of 8th July?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

That the weekend of oxygen?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

blahblah06 wrote: »

OOHHH thats Nasty :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gamblor166

blahblah06 wrote: »

yeah thats the one..

Goodluck with that dude..:) :):)

hi Gamblor,
    Sorry but we fully booked for that weekend. I think if i had 100 vans we would be booked out judging by the amount of enquiries.
    Before you ask, we are also fully booked for the first weekend in September ;)

Dont tell me,,wild guess,,,EP Wouldt be on in September would it,,

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

tons of cheap second-hand camper-vans on donedeal etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Can anyone recommend any good companies to rent off? Planning on touring uk for a week leaving from Dublin. Thanks for any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 le francais

Ireland seems to be the most expensive place to rent a camper, I am based in France and can rent a camper for much less even in high season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Ireland seems to be the most expensive place to rent a camper, I am based in France and can rent a camper for much less even in high season

No surprising really, my friend has a fleet of 8 vintage cars insured for €380 in Lyon, you can imagine what it would cost here.

Probably a lot cheaper to fly ryanair and rent one there than pay the ferry and rent here.

Probably a lot cheaper to fly ryanair and rent one there than pay the ferry and rent here.[/QUOTE]

PaddyP , its not the same really. Bringing all the things the kids may need for a few weeks in France , Spain or Europe is not very easy with Ryanair.
    Also , bringing all the wine you and your friends may need for the next 11 months home with you may not be very suitable on Ryanair either.
    Yes, the rental in Ireland is expensive but after all the expenses are taken into account it is very hard to offer rentals any cheaper during the summer.
    However , if someone needs a rental off peak , it can become quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 le francais

Also in France it is possible to rent from private camper owners, their insurance policies allow this provided certain conditions are adhered to

full valid driving licence, proof of 5 years no claims bonus

www.directcampingcar.com
    www.jelouemoncampingcar.com

this does not exist in Ireland from what I understand, obviously necessary to speak french to exchange with the camper owners.
    Have done this in the past - very economical

Advertisement