Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Word Problem

• 03-06-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Hey guys having a bit of a problem with word if you can help, first of all my spell checker decided to stop working :confused: i tried a few things like deleting sys reg key file and re installing it, but nothing :mad: also does anyone know how to start page numbering on a specific page?

As in I have a title page, acknowledgments and a table of contents but I want to start numbering after that, so page number 1 will be on page 4.

Any ideas?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hey guys having a bit of a problem with word if you can help, first of all my spell checker decided to stop working :confused: i tried a few things like deleting sys reg key file and re installing it, but nothing :mad: also does anyone know how to start page numbering on a specific page?

As in I have a title page, acknowledgments and a table of contents but I want to start numbering after that, so page number 1 will be on page 4.

Any ideas?
    Cheers
    hi Hurrican-Dean,what about going to the specific page & open header & footer & inserting page number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

tried that, it didnt work, also tried page break with numbering again nothing :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Which version of Word?

One way to do it is to separate each of your unnumbered preamble pages with individual section breaks and hide the first number of of each of those sections under the format dialog in the insert page numbers menu.

However the correct method probably requires you to make a Master document and add subdocuments with and with out page numbers. I haven't used Word in years so I'm probably wrong.

5uspect wrote: »
    Which version of Word?

One way to do it is to separate each of your unnumbered preamble pages with individual section breaks and hide the first number of of each of those sections under the format dialog in the insert page numbers menu.

However the correct method probably requires you to make a Master document and add subdocuments with and with out page numbers. I haven't used Word in years so I'm probably wrong.
    It's word 2007, I'll try that, I know there is a specific way to do it but I don't know what it is. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

For your number issue, you can just tell Word to start page numbering on Page 3 etc. It's one of the options on the Insert/Page Numbers menu. You can also set the numeral you want it to start counting at i.e. 1 or 4.

Just remember that if you tell it to start using '1 of 230' on Page 4 then when you get to the last page of the document it's going to be 4 pages off and say 'Page 226 of 230' which looks kinda odd. People will be wondering where the last pages are. Of course if you don't have an overall page count (the 'of 230' bit) that doesn't matter!!!

For you spell checker, look at what language you have set. Select all the text in the document and then set it to English and then make sure the option 'do not spell check' is NOT set (somewhere in Tools/Options).

Just an idea, may not work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

Did you get a working answer?

Just found this, it might help...

Start numbering with 1 on a different page

You can start numbering on the second page of your document, or you can start numbering on a different page.

START NUMBERING ON THE SECOND PAGE
    Double-click the page number.
    This opens the Design tab under Header & Footer Tools.

On the Design tab, in the Options group, select the Different First Page check box.

To start numbering with 1, click Page Number in the Header & Footer group, then click Format Page Numbers, and then click Start at and enter 1.
    To return to the body of your document, click Close Header and Footer on the Design tab (under Header & Footer Tools).

Yea I got the numbering problem, used page breaks and seperate numbering, thanks for the advice

Advertisement