Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance with alteration to house

Options
  • 03-06-2011 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have converted the attic in my house into a room. Do I need to advise my insurance company of this and is it likely to effect my premium if I do?

Any advise that can be giving would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Only if it increases the rebuild value or if the extension is of non-standard construction. Some insurers, however, rate a policy on the number of bedrooms, so for example if you've gone from 3 to 4, you should tell them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bojangles2

Thanks for the reply ouldyouth, could you just clarify what is meant by non standard construction.

When you say some insurers rate the policy on the number of bedrooms, how specific is this. While the new room will be used as a bedroom the small box room is now turned into a study / office. Do you think an insurer would see this as an increase in number of bedrooms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Your best bet is to ring your insurance company and get it straight from the horses mouth.Underwriting criteria on home insurance has tightened up something fierce over the last few years.

You have technically added another floor to the property so it may well increase your premium however you really need to make them aware of the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Non-standard would be a flat-roof on an extension. But your attic should be ok. As someone said, once the rebuildings cost is sufficient to take it into account you won't have a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Bojangles2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply ouldyouth, could you just clarify what is meant by non standard construction.

When you say some insurers rate the policy on the number of bedrooms, how specific is this. While the new room will be used as a bedroom the small box room is now turned into a study / office. Do you think an insurer would see this as an increase in number of bedrooms?
    Most Insurers will rate your policy on the sum insured but some will rate it on the number of bedrooms. You only need to disclose the alteration to the house at next renewal, but it shouldn't make any real difference. However, if you have increased the overall rebuild cost of your home by putting in the extension, then it would be in your interest to increase your policy now in case anything happens between now and then.

As peteb2 says, something like mineral felt or timber roof would be considered non-standard

As for definition, insurers would deem it to be a bedroom if that is the original design purpose of the room. To be flippant, putting a telly in an empty bedroom doesn't make it a media centre :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bojangles2

Thank you all for your help

Advertisement