Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs bring you presents

• 03-06-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Well the battle lasted several minutes, there was much pouncing and throwing about, growling and snarling, rolling about on the floor, some ripping and tearing... but finally she managed to subdue the victim and drop it proudly at my feet.

The victim was a piece of red lettuce, it will not live to fight another day, let that be a lesson to all the salad of the world. :D

Usual victims are socks and gloves, or the odd squeaky toy. Both dogs have to bring me something every time I come in the door, they proudly show off the prize, wagging the tails while I tell them what good dogs they are.

So what do your dogs like to "kill"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Anything she can find. Sometimes she can't find anything and there's a moment of panic in her eyes as she doesn't want to come empty handed yet she realllllllyy wants hello hugs!! I think she has a window of opportunity of 3.7 seconds before she has to come to me for attention whether or not she has anything.

She never lets me have it though so i fon't know why she brings it.

I prefer her to have one of her teddies (tounge blockers) as it saves me a licking.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Same here, if I come home and they're asleep they rush around looking for toys or something to bring me, but never give it up.
    "tongue blocker":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

When my fella gets very hyper he'l go out to the back garden and bring me in a spider.. Strange but true. He's also somehow got the nack of catching flies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

A few years back I had the builders and one of my dogs brought one of my bra's to his favourite builder. The guy stuck it in his back pocket, let half of it hang out and walked around with it for HOURS before I copped on :D.

Phoebe brings frogs alive and spits them out in front of me. Bogey was fond of bringing timber into the house and one of my Otterhounds likes to bring in ANYTHING smelly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

mymo wrote: »
    Well the battle lasted several minutes, there was much pouncing and throwing about, growling and snarling, rolling about on the floor, some ripping and tearing... but finally she managed to subdue the victim and drop it proudly at my feet.

The victim was a piece of red lettuce, it will not live to fight another day, let that be a lesson to all the salad of the world. :D

Usual victims are socks and gloves, or the odd squeaky toy. Both dogs have to bring me something every time I come in the door, they proudly show off the prize, wagging the tails while I tell them what good dogs they are.

So what do your dogs like to "kill"?

What an incredible dog you have, so loyal and fearless, putting her life on the line to save you from the killer salads. She's obviously listening to the news at the moment, and knows what she has to do:D

I had a rescue husky here who would kill my socks, except that the only way he would give them back to me was when they had passed through him:eek::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

My Akita will just pick up anything, usually the smallest bit of paper/tissue on the floor, and stalk in circles around me panting loudly before dropping it when I ask her. It's very comical to watch actually 'cos she does a bit of a 'duck waddle' throughout it too. Even if I've left the room for 5mins, she'll have to pick up something and bring it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

BrianJD wrote: »
    Anything she can find. Sometimes she can't find anything and there's a moment of panic in her eyes as she doesn't want to come empty handed yet she realllllllyy wants hello hugs!! I think she has a window of opportunity of 3.7 seconds before she has to come to me for attention whether or not she has anything.

She never lets me have it though so i don't know why she brings it.

I prefer her to have one of her teddies (tounge blockers) as it saves me a licking.:D

He he he I thought it was just my crazy puppy who did that! She gets panicked when there's nothing around, and usually ends up settling for any piece of fluff from her latest stuffed victim (was her bone shaped pillow most recently!) or if nothing small is around she tries to grab her whole bed, or rug, just so she can show me :D

Funniest though is when she 'kills' leaves, if we're walking and there's even a slight breeze she'll hunt them down coz they're clearly running away from her, she has to chase them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

The only presents my ungrateful bunch leave me are smelly little piles in the garden!!! I'm living with a pack of covert stealth operators whose group mission is to render me wearing odd socks for the rest of my life!! I have actually witness the big lad tip toeing past my bedroom door with his latest stolen item while the others prepare the disposal site in the garden! A quick 'leave it' and he will drop the sock and abort the mission but god only knows how many of my socks buried in the yard!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

HAHAH this thread is soo funny,I want a dog now!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭slashygoodness

No pressies for us :( but we do get licked to death and god help anyone who asks them for 'hugs'.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

EGAR wrote: »
    A few years back I had the builders and one of my dogs brought one of my bra's to his favourite builder. The guy stuck it in his back pocket, let half of it hang out and walked around with it for HOURS before I copped on :D.

LMAO Brilliant!! :D

My guy usually brings his ikea football or another soft toy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

small stones and pebbles.

my back garden has a border filled with small stones - my youngerst dog scamp constantly carries in stones, flings them around the rug for a while and then proudly sets them at my feet. he'll then sit looking at me expectedly for the round of applause and a treat. this happens four - five times a day.

i've been ignoring him cos i dont want to encourage him but hes having none of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I'm upset now cus mine don't bring me pressies they just go for the kill ;) be it stones, socks, slippers or their absolute favourite their bed because they can make it snow with all the fluff they love throwing in the air and all over the house. And they have the cheek to lie on their back paws in the air for a belly rub for all their effort :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

piperh wrote: »
    I'm upset now cus mine don't bring me pressies they just go for the kill ;) be it stones, socks, slippers or their absolute favourite their bed because they can make it snow with all the fluff they love throwing in the air and all over the house. And they have the cheek to lie on their back paws in the air for a belly rub for all their effort :rolleyes:
    Me too, I never get presents. But I can certainly rest easy knowing that I will never, ever be savaged by a squeaky bone. They take those apart in about 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Baloons......not burst

a shrew- dead:mad:

mice....generally alive

a goldfinch.....well technically she brought me to him, he could not fly and needed a bit of rehab for a couple of weeks. we took care of him together:p

a potato "rescued" from the bag

the chicken carcass which she managed to get out of the bin. she has just recently figured the pedal on the bottom of the bin lifts up the lid:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nollipop

Slippers and shoes!

He's a greyhound so not really "killing" but more like collecting little piles of stuff in his bed, and occasionally carrying an odd one over to you as you walk in.

The rescue place we got him from had many piles of stuff in different places in the garden for the same reason. There were pine cones, sandals, a watering can and a large plastic wash tub. Think that was a different dog though. Well, the sandals could have been ours. :)

Advertisement