Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosetta Stone

Options
  • 03-06-2011 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Has anyone used this software? I've began using it (have absolutely no German from school or anywhere up until last week) and it's not too bad so far.

I have a German girl and plan on moving there some time in the next 3 years but I need to be fluent or speak as well as I can before I can work there.

Should I just enroll in classes? I'm not sure how useful this will be later on, I should probably be speaking the language.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sykk wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Has anyone used this software? I've began using it (have absolutely no German from school or anywhere up until last week) and it's not too bad so far.

I have a German girl and plan on moving there some time in the next 3 years but I need to be fluent or speak as well as I can before I can work there.

Should I just enroll in classes? I'm not sure how useful this will be later on, I should probably be speaking the language.

Thanks in advance.

As usual I am strongly recommending Goethe courses!!
    Plus that way you'll get the official european language cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

bluewolf wrote: »
    As usual I am strongly recommending Goethe courses!!
    Plus that way you'll get the official european language cert
    I've been in contact with that crowd. They seem great and I'm keen to get started asap. However, the course starts on the 20th of June and I'm off to Spain for a wedding for 7 days on the 20th.. I'd miss four classes..

Maybe I could get the material off them for the classes I miss before hand if you really really recommend it.. Did you take one of these courses yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

I'd miss four classes..

Goethe are very good.

But wait until September. If you've just decided now to learn German, 8-10 weeks more shouldn't be a huge problem.
    You can spend the time practicing a bit at home.

it's unlikely you would catch up easily after missing 4 weeks unless you are a very gifted linguist.

Do you speak any other languages?

jb-ski wrote: »
    Goethe are very good.

But wait until September. If you've just decided now to learn German, 8-10 weeks more shouldn't be a huge problem.
    You can spend the time practicing a bit at home.

it's unlikely you would catch up easily after missing 4 weeks unless you are a very gifted linguist.

Do you speak any other languages?
    Well it's always something I've wanted to do simply because it leaves me with so much more options.

I'd be missing 4 classes, not 4 weeks. Still think they'd cover enough to make it difficult to catch up?

Don't speak any other languages, done French in school but I've lost it all by this stage!

Hey guys,

moving there some time in the next 3 years

my point is what's the sudden urgency?

it's difficult to gauge what you'll miss over 4 classes,
    but you will miss getting to know classmates, classroom dynamics etc.

Goethe classes are very structured, the standard will be high; it's not like an evening class in the local school.

That's why I asked about your other languages, if it's your first time properly giving language classes a shot (i.e. not school French:)),
    i would suggest that the first few classes are possibly the most important.

I am open to correction from all the multi-linguists here who learned to speak Urdu from a CD in 3 weeks!

Also it's important to remember to enjoy the learning process, it doesn't end, your German will be improving in 5,10,15 years if you want it to.

• Advertisement

Ah right fair enough :)

I'll be heading to meet her parents in 2 months I want to have some sort of German.. It's not that important, but if missing the first few classes would probably distort the rest of the course then maybe it's best I wait til September.

meet her parents in 2 months

:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KovDEIah2M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

any chance of bringing this back to origins?

Was actually going to post the same question, about Rosetta...have all the packs ready to go and half way through them. 23, German missus and visiting next month. Did German for the leaving cert but to say to least its not much good to me!

Has anyone got some opinions on the program...?

I've been in contact with that crowd. They seem great and I'm keen to get started asap. However, the course starts on the 20th of June and I'm off to Spain for a wedding for 7 days on the 20th.. I'd miss four classes..

Maybe I could get the material off them for the classes I miss before hand if you really really recommend it.. Did you take one of these courses yourself?

The 20th June is a 6 week intensive summer course. If you are just starting off, wait until September and take the weekly courses. Especially if you are missing four classes at the start!! I missed one or two classes throughout the terms I did and you miss so much from one class, nevermind 4.

Yes, I have taken 2 so far and I am enrolled to start my 3rd in June.

eldwaro wrote: »
    any chance of bringing this back to origins?

??

Hey guys,

T.

Sykk also asked about classes, and we were discussing this.

I know nothing about Rosetta Stone.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »

Yes, I have taken 2 so far and I am enrolled to start my 3rd in June.

Did you take the normal classes then or the intensive? How would you say your German after those 2 terms? Enough to move there?

Did you take the normal classes then or the intensive? How would you say your German after those 2 terms? Enough to move there?

Intensive only run during summer, I took the normal 16-week ones since September. We've just finished A1 level which I think is:
    Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type. Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has. Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
    - and that sums it up. I was over in germany regularly enough until a couple of months ago, and I certainly noticed the difference in what I was able to understand. Even little things like going shopping and finding out where stuff was, or ordering and paying in cafes!! Could pick up what was going on in some movies as well :D:D
    Don't know about moving there though! I'd want at least another course under my belt. Two of my classmates are moving there and they're doing the summer one first before the big move

Perhaps a stupid question but I notice from the site:
    One class per week
    4 teaching units per class at 45 minutes
    total 64 teaching units

So does this mean each class 3 hours long? Do you also get homework?

Cheers!

Perhaps a stupid question but I notice from the site:

So does this mean each class 3 hours long? Do you also get homework?

Cheers!

Yeah it's about 3 hours. We can take either 15 min or half hour break in the middle, we all agreed we'd prefer a shorter coffee break to finish earlier. So for us it's been 6.15 to about 9.30

We do get homework though it's up to you about doing it, they won't make an issue of it if you don't do any but it's your own progress you're hurting
    Or at least that's how it is with my only teacher so far

You've been really helpful, sher I might see you around there in September if you're still there.. I'll be lurking around these forums from here on as well..

Cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Bluewolf have you been doing the Goethe courses in Dublin?

Bluewolf have you been doing the Goethe courses in Dublin?

yep

Advertisement