Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what qualifies an oldwan?

Options
  • 03-06-2011 11:26pm

what qualifies us as oldwans??

im in my late 30's but yet work with lot of ages from early 20's to late 50's

the young ones think im old, the old ones think im young??

im i the forgotten age??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bubblypop wrote: »

And its always true. No matter what age you are that is the way people see others (and themselves)

im i the forgotten age??
    As above, it follows you though the various age groups that you fall into as life goes on. I remember one of my daughters (she was about 21 at the time) complaining about the disco she was at the previous night........"there was nothing but waines at it, some of them were only 16 or 17"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I remember when this thread used to be all fields

if you do too

you qualify ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

im i the forgotten age??

You are a Tweenie. Too old to be young and too young to be old.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Oulwan (and oulfella) is a state of mind rather then an age of body.
    It's when you realise that sitting at the back of the bus is not all there is to life.
    It's when the hunt for Beer becomes the third most important thing to do on a weekend rather then the second.
    It's when you realise you've been watching a soap opera and you don't give a **** what happens next.
    It's when someone gossips about the current favourite media darling and you say "Who?".
    It's when your life becomes your own and not anyone elses.

Or is that just me? :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, its not just you, and while I might adjust some of your points a bit, in general that's dead on as far as I am concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I think getting SAGA adverts through the post counts too. They start to arrive bang on your 50th birthday if memory serves me right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

OldGoat wrote: »
    It's when you realise that sitting at the back of the bus is not all there is to life.
    It's when the hunt for Beer becomes the third most important thing to do on a weekend rather then the second.
    It's when you realise you've been watching a soap opera and you don't give a **** what happens next.
    It's when someone gossips about the current favourite media darling and you say "Who?".

We dont hunt for beer...we're organised :D Fuddy Duddys them young ones call us :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

im i the forgotten age??

Late 30's :) Ahh a time to plan! Ignore half the know all 20s and half of the 50s and it'll be fine ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

You just defined me pefectly. I just coming up on my mid-30's

If you remember Florrie Lindley buying the corner shop in Coronation Street, you may just be an oulwan.

Come to that if you remember Valerie Barlow electrocuting herself, that counts as well.

• Advertisement

You just defined me pefectly. I just coming up on my mid-30's

If that defines someone a lot younger than you, you are certainly an Oulwan.

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I knew I was a oulwan when I gave up shopping in Pamela Scott and discovered Marks & Spencer had 'gorgeous slacks' with elasticated waists!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ClickityClick

Me also. I knew that I was past it when all eyes were on my daughter and I was suddenly invisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hermes5

It has just dawned on me...retired recently age 60 and never thought about my age...till I found myself reading this thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hermes5 wrote: »
    It has just dawned on me...retired recently age 60 and never thought about my age...till I found myself reading this thread :(
    The magic of boards :D

It seems you are an oldie when your body can no longer carry out the promises of your mind. I think I reached that stage at 18.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

When a faint smell of piss follows you around and you won't pass a toilet without visiting- 'just in case' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rubecula wrote: »
    It seems you are an oldie when your body can no longer carry out the promises of your mind. I think I reached that stage at 18.:D

Hm, yes, I have been noticing that recently. I don't really like to see it put so uncompromisingly though. Could we maybe put a 'sometimes' in there, just to ease us along gently?

looksee wrote: »
    Hm, yes, I have been noticing that recently. I don't really like to see it put so uncompromisingly though. Could we maybe put a 'sometimes' in there, just to ease us along gently?

Of course add your own "sometimes" where appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

What qualifies an oldwan/auldfella? It would seem to me not looking after your health/fitness and importantly having an old state of mind long before your time....

'With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come... Let me not be cut like my Grandsire, in Alabaster'... (words by Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice, quoted from memory so may not be exact :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You're an auld wan when you start needing others to live your day-to-day life...

nesbitt wrote: »
    What qualifies an oldwan/auldfella? It would seem to me not looking after your health/fitness and importantly having an old state of mind long before your time....
    Hummmmmmm. I call shinnanigans on this one.
    Lots of very spritly fit and healthy oulwans and oulfellas out there and huge numbers of us are very immature young of mind too. :)

I still sometimes get told to grow up and act my age. Sod that, I am having too much fun to grow up. I was complimented today by the way. Lady I know told me "WOW you are older than my mum, I thought you were about the same age as me."

Took a while to get the grin off my face.

And if I didn't have certain injuries I am sure I could be as bad at football as I used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Rubecula wrote: »
    I still sometimes get told to grow up and act my age. Sod that, I am having too much fun to grow up. I was complimented today by the way. Lady I know told me "WOW you are older than my mum, I thought you were about the same age as me."

Took a while to get the grin off my face.

And if I didn't have certain injuries I am sure I could be as bad at football as I used to be.

:D:D:D

Hummmmmmm. I call shinnanigans on this one.
    Lots of very spritly fit and healthy oulwans and oulfellas out there and huge numbers of us are very immature young of mind too. :)

Exactly! So therefore are not oulwans or oulfellas in my view :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I turned 40 earlier this year yet got asked for I.D while buying wine in Tesco..!I also have the state of mind to go along with that immaturity,I find it necessary to get through life!

nesbitt wrote: »
    Exactly! So therefore are not oulwans or oulfellas in my view :)...
    Ahhh I see where we differ now. You see being an OulwanFella as a derogetary term whereas I am seeing it as a positives. :cool:

Ahhh I see where we differ now. You see being an OulwanFella as a derogetary term whereas I am seeing it as a positives. :cool:

Totally...

However, I refer to some 20/30somethings as 'little auldwans/fellas' because of there attitude/demeanor or lack of ability to be able to walk the length of temselves or carry their own weight. So I guess I use the term in a derogetary way... :D

Oulwan, Oulfella, are not the same as Old one or Old fellah.

One is aging nicely thank you very much, the other is just Old.

I am proud to think of myself as an Oulfella, I am most certainly NOT old. I still have the fire in my belly... although that may be down to indigestion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I (still) work part time, shall we say, with children - small groups of them - there's the four year olds and then the five year olds and so on. They're French and it's their first contact with someone who only speaks English to them (through all kinds of games and songs and rhymes) - I do speak French so if any of them says something untoward, they soon realise that I don't approve. Anyway there comes a time in the school year when we learn to ask - how old are you? and there also inevitably comes a time, a bit later when they want to know how old I am. Well for quite a few years I've been fifty, as we do a counting action rhyme where that number fits in nicely. There's a gesture in spoken French that goes with - fifty-fifty, which for them is just that little bit osé. But this year I've made a big decision - I'm telling them that I'm 61 - Well when you're five or six, you have quite a lot of trouble simply comprehending the very idea of being that old, so we have to go all through the number rhyme again so that they can take it in.

Advertisement