Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painful MRI?

Options
  • 03-06-2011 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,
    So I was diagnosed with MS about a year ago. At the time I had 2 MRIs which were exactly as I was expecting them to be, grand! After these I had a lumbar puncture and recently had another MRI. But this time it was kind of uncomfortable. Everything was fine until they moved on to imaging the lower parts of my spinal cord. It felt like getting the anaesthetic injection for the lumbar puncture again, the pain was in the same spot, and my back was sore in that spot for the rest of the day! I didn't say anything at the time (I've a tendency to be afraid medical staff will think I'm imagining things). I've never heard of an MRI causing any sort of discomfort and was just wondering if anyone has ever experienced or even heard of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Hi all,
    So I was diagnosed with MS about a year ago. At the time I had 2 MRIs which were exactly as I was expecting them to be, grand! After these I had a lumbar puncture and recently had another MRI. But this time it was kind of uncomfortable. Everything was fine until they moved on to imaging the lower parts of my spinal cord. It felt like getting the anaesthetic injection for the lumbar puncture again, the pain was in the same spot, and my back was sore in that spot for the rest of the day! I didn't say anything at the time (I've a tendency to be afraid medical staff will think I'm imagining things). I've never heard of an MRI causing any sort of discomfort and was just wondering if anyone has ever experienced or even heard of this?

I'm no expert but what I've been told is that it can cause a lot of pain and do a lot of damage if there is any metal in your body, it might be something to get checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gloria Jean

Thanks for the response, but I can't imagine how metal could've gotten there in the last year. I'll probably just end up bucking up and mentioning it to the neurologist when I see him next.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Only discomfort I've had in my MS related MRIs was when they were trying to find a vein to injext the contrast dye.

I'd def mention it to the your neuro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Thanks for the response, but I can't imagine how metal could've gotten there in the last year. I'll probably just end up bucking up and mentioning it to the neurologist when I see him next.

I wouldn't say it was either, but they asked me loads of questions because it was my first one, like have I ever worked where there could be metal splinters, or if I was ever in a car accidents. The scan works by magnets and metal in you can either get extremely hot or be pulled out of you. Would it be possible that it was a button on the back of your clothes?

Nah, I was wearing jeans and a hospital gown, no metal at the back and it was definitely a pain coming from inside. I'm just massively confused about it and dreading mentioning it since I've never come across it before!

• Advertisement

Only discomfort I've had in my MS related MRIs was when they were trying to find a vein to injext the contrast dye.

I'd def mention it to the your neuro.

That's the one neat thing about being so pale, it's very easy to find a vein!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Eh you NEED to tell someone about this.
    Deffo tell the neurologist and maybe even call the MRI people and tell them.
    It might be worth an xray to see if there is an metal in there. The MRI folks should know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

That's the one neat thing about being so pale, it's very easy to find a vein!
    Except last time with me, they were blowing cool air over me during the earlier scans so the veins had gone hidey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

i dont know what may cause something like above
    but as for metal - i have an auditorial brainstem implant and when i get an mri they put a stack of padding over the site and then wrap a bandage around my head. - the implant has a magnet as well as some metal - it DOES hurt. but strangely it hurts me more when im just in front of the machine - once im in it it subsides a lot. until im getting out again.

absolutely mention this to your doc - even just to put your mind at rest.

Advertisement