Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanna brew some stout

Options
  • 04-06-2011 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Ok so for ages ive been wanting to try and make my own beer at home and have been looking at some starter kits along the lines of this -
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brewsmarter-premium-starter-beer-kit-best-value-844-p.asp

But as the title says id rather try a stout, something simple seen as ive never done any brewing before.
    Am i right in thinking that brewing a stout along the lines of this can be done using the kit i linked above?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

funkyouup wrote: »
    Ok so for ages ive been wanting to try and make my own beer at home and have been looking at some starter kits along the lines of this -
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brewsmarter-premium-starter-beer-kit-best-value-844-p.asp

But as the title says id rather try a stout, something simple seen as ive never done any brewing before.
    Am i right in thinking that brewing a stout along the lines of this can be done using the kit i linked above?

Yeah, that's right. You can make any of the beer kits with that set-up. It's the one I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Cool thanks. So what are the limitations of that brewing kit, depending on how well the first batch goes obviously but id like to get a bit more inventive on the second, maybe trying different ingredients instead of just using a kit i buy off the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

funkyouup wrote: »
    Cool thanks. So what are the limitations of that brewing kit, depending on how well the first batch goes obviously but id like to get a bit more inventive on the second, maybe trying different ingredients instead of just using a kit i buy off the net.

You get all the basics for kit brewing, but if you want to start from scratch, you need a load more stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

It's not much of a step up to extract brewing. A 10 litre pot for boiling, an extract kit (as opposed to a beer kit), hops, some specialty grains, a muslin bag, a whole load of ice to cool the wort, and about 2 extra hours on brew day is all you need. Granted it costs more, an extract kit isn't much cheaper than a beer kit and you need to get specialty grains, hops and yeast on top of that. Plus you need to spend time researching & learning. Many people are content to use kits, but I'm a beer snob and from my experience I think there is no comparison in the quality, plus with extract brewing you have the scope for learning and experimenting with ingredients. I mean if you brew with a kit, how are you ever going to discus the hop profile?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Thanks Philious, some great info there, despite being impatient i think ill go with a starter kit and learn the basics instead of going head first into brewing woith a load of ingredients:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement