Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography sample answers?

• 04-06-2011 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Are there any geography sample answers online especially for the options.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

No idea but I can't pimp the book Exam Skills Geography enough. Loads of sample answers. Maybe someone else can help you out online....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Are there any geography sample answers online especially for the options.

Thanks!

The Edco exam papers have codes for online sample answers on everything... but it's a bit late now, most places stopped stocking papers a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

^^ It your waterfall answer 30/30? :) Thank you!

Our Geog teacher is SH1TE

In the last 2 years all she has done is come into class, read us a chapter from the book and told us to "go figure" basically.

No notes given
    No homework given
    No exam questions given
    NOTHING at all! :mad:

Don't know how she gets away with it!

As ye can probably guess I'm pretty screwed for geography

And I got an A in the JC with the other teacher! (the good one) ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mylifein7671

I am on maternity leave at the minute and board ****less. If u got an A,B,C in JC you have an amazing foundation for Higher level Geography. Their is no reason why you wont do well in Leaving cert, if your not sure about your 30m questions make sure u have 25-30 srp's( relevant points) related to your question. I have regional essays about Paris aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I am on maternity leave at the minute and board ****less. If u got an A,B,C in JC you have an amazing foundation for Higher level Geography. Their is no reason why you wont do well in Leaving cert, if your not sure about your 30m questions make sure u have 25-30 srp's( relevant points) related to your question. I have regional essays about Paris aswell

I think the teacher really makes a difference and I'm sure you're a brilliant one! Ours is a joke.
    I forget most of JC Geography though to be honest!
    If I PM'd you would you mind sending me the Paris Basin answers? If not don't worry.
    I got a B2 in the mocks and would LOVE a B2 in the LC but I'm not sure if its possible considering how much I don't know..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I am a secondary school geo teacher and here is a sample answer on waterfalls i have a few others.all u have to do now is draw the diagream and thats waterfalls Example; Waterfall Powerscourt Co. Wicklow

The river erosion processes involved in the formation of waterfalls are hydraulic action, abrasion and solution. Hydraulic action is the force of moving water on the land. Fast flowing water forces out looses rock and soil from the river bed and bank. Soft rock is eroded faster than hard rock (differential erosion) and overtime the bank will collapse. Abrasion is the wearing away of the river bed by its load. Stones carried by the river smooth the river channel deepening & widening it. Solution occurs when the river dissolves the soft rock over which it flows.

The erosion processes mentioned above to form waterfalls in the youthful stage of a river course. Waterfalls occur where a band of hard rock e.g. granite lies across a river bed, soft rock is eroded faster and GRADUALLY a fall forms in the river bed. Hydraulic action and abrasion combine to deepen the fall and a plunge pool forms at the base of the waterfall.

Water splashes against the back wall and erodes it by the process of solution. This splash back soon creates a cave or a hollow behind the waterfall. The overhanging piece of hard rock will eventually collapse and slowly the waterfall retreats up stream (head ward erosion).

Sometimes a steep sided gorge is formed if head ward erosion is very fast. The gorge in Niagara Falls is 11km long and up to 91m deep.

Has it changed? I did my leaving cert last year and got an A2 in geography but for each of these type questions we used the 'DEEPD' method.

Description- What is it your trying to explain.
    Example- An example of a waterfall or whatever.
    Explanation- How they form and everything about them.
    Processes- Processes that form them= Hydraulic action, abrasion, attrition etc.
    Diagram- Diagrams explaining the whole process.

Has it changed?

No thats just how i teach physical my classes find it easier that way there is nothing wrong with what you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

No thats just how i teach physical my classes find it easier that way there is nothing wrong with what you did.

Oh right, sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I am a secondary school geo teacher and here is a sample answer on waterfalls i have a few others.all u have to do now is draw the diagream and thats waterfalls Example; Waterfall Powerscourt Co. Wicklow

The river erosion processes involved in the formation of waterfalls are hydraulic action, abrasion and solution. Hydraulic action is the force of moving water on the land. Fast flowing water forces out looses rock and soil from the river bed and bank. Soft rock is eroded faster than hard rock (differential erosion) and overtime the bank will collapse. Abrasion is the wearing away of the river bed by its load. Stones carried by the river smooth the river channel deepening & widening it. Solution occurs when the river dissolves the soft rock over which it flows.

The erosion processes mentioned above to form waterfalls in the youthful stage of a river course. Waterfalls occur where a band of hard rock e.g. granite lies across a river bed, soft rock is eroded faster and GRADUALLY a fall forms in the river bed. Hydraulic action and abrasion combine to deepen the fall and a plunge pool forms at the base of the waterfall.

Water splashes against the back wall and erodes it by the process of solution. This splash back soon creates a cave or a hollow behind the waterfall. The overhanging piece of hard rock will eventually collapse and slowly the waterfall retreats up stream (head ward erosion).

Sometimes a steep sided gorge is formed if head ward erosion is very fast. The gorge in Niagara Falls is 11km long and up to 91m deep.

Probably would have been quicker to scan this up.
    Seen as it's a perfect duplicate of the answer in exam skills geography.

Sue Honan will have a b**** fit, if she's scouring boards later for a copyright case!

Well lets not tell her then ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement